which lawn mower to buy??

-
No need for me to try and persuade with my opinion as i see you guys have already got it figured out. Your right. TORO.
Small Block

I would buy a used commercial mower with low hours. They all have belts/blades/spindles/bearings ect... that wear out, commercial mowers are built way better than anything you'll get at lowes or depot. Buy a Lesco, Wright, Scag, Exmark ect... mower and it will probably last 20+ years and cut twice as fast too.

I will stik with JD bought a new 425 had it 5yr.it I had the blade and snow blower.it had 375hrs. on it and traded it in on a 2210 with front loder and 62inch. deck and got the same as we paid for it.the only thing thats been dun to them is change oil.and there both made in the USA.. and I know the ones at lowes or home depot are made by MTD.

I would buy a used commercial mower with low hours. They all have belts/blades/spindles/bearings ect... that wear out, commercial mowers are built way better than anything you'll get at lowes or depot. Buy a Lesco, Wright, Scag, Exmark ect... mower and it will probably last 20+ years and cut twice as fast too.

i concur, we just bought a 36" for our yard. 3000 dollars for a new machine?when i look at tags on mowers i think to myself man i could do some cool stuff to my car for that money! if your mechanically inclined i think you could do just fine with a used commercial mower.

I use a 46" MTD for a weed eater(fence lines & trees) and the New Holland for the rest.
A buddy of mine bought his JD 23HP 46"-$2800 when I purchased the MTD- 25HP 46"$1200 and his Green and Yellow paint is falling off now. His has been in the shop 3 times, mine never. I figured I could buy a whole new mower and still be ahead.

It is nice to have a quality mower though, I just would not go with a Deer. No offense to Deer owners.

I've been cutting 12 acres for the l;ast ten years at the Church property with a zero turn Gravely.

It is a beast, that requires very little maintenance and can go up and down pretty steep hills.

The only thing is that I wish we had a 30' wide pull behind to cut the large, flat field.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Where to begin... As far as the high dollar Dixie Chopper, EXMark, Grass Hopper, Gravely and industrial mowers I just can't afford one of them. From what I saw the cheapest one of them is nearly $5000. I have about 3/4 of an acre and lots of stuff to mow around and my wife is wanting to plant 2 more flowering bushes so that'll be more to mow around. That's the reason I was thinking a zero turn would be best. My buddy has one and I tried it out and loved it even though it was a cheap Craftsman. He's had quite a few problems with it though so I don't think I'd even consider a Craftsman.

I never considered the zero turn mowers riding rougher. Didn't think there would be much difference since there about the same size and weight. I test drove a couple yesterday briefly so I guess I didn't notice. Not being on home turf makes it harder to tell how it feels compared to what I have now. Next week the Toro dealer is getting in a new supply and he wants me to try out a particular model. Maybe while I'm there I'll ask to test drive a tractor too to compare.

I have been looking for a nice used one but just can't seem to find the right one. Either too big, too old, too expensive for what it is, or too beat up. I'm in no hurry since my mower still runs great so I will keep looking.

I stopped at a different JD dealer today and he mentioned how there is the cheaper line and the good stuff that's actually made by Deere.

Thanks again for all the replies. Tracy

-
Back