Which leaf springs to use?

-

496 polara

moparts id gch
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
72 Duster with a 440. Stock rear springs are soft and original. It is a street(70% street 30% track) car but being able to plant the power to the ground is important.Like to keep ride height where it is.Maybe a little lower would be ok but not any higher.

I can add/replace leafs with some of my own leaf springs I have saved if need be. Or I can buy a set of new springs and start fresh.Ride,handling,and traction compromise if you will is what I am looking for.

I have looked at the Cal Trac split mono leafs,Hotchkis,and several others.

What are you guys running and what do/don't you like about them?

CalTrac split mono. My car sits up pretty high but I like it. Hooks very well at the track. On the street, I'm not one much worried about handling in one of these old cars so to me, it is fine. Best 60' is 1.49 but more typical is 1.52.
20220530_162411.jpg

Im not a racer, but I’ve always had great luck with the Mopar SuperStock springs on the street. Cheap and easy, rides better than it did with worn out springs.

I'll second the Mopar Super Stock springs. I have them on 2 of my cars, and can't complain. The ride is not that bad. Ride is no worse than a first gen Dodge truck 4x4.

ole man Dave

CalTrac split mono. My car sits up pretty high but I like it. Hooks very well at the track. On the street, I'm not one much worried about handling in one of these old cars so to me, it is fine. Best 60' is 1.49 but more typical is 1.52.
View attachment 1716123307
What an awesome looking Demon. How do the calvert split mono leafs act on the street?

With your use, I'd go with some stock HD springs from ESPO or General Spring. Something that a 340 or big block A-body would have.

There is nothing wrong with the SS springs.
I would probably use the 3400 lb application.

They are WAY heavier than Calvert springs and Calvert
will work with you on the ride height (Adjustable by changing
the rear segments).

What an awesome looking Demon. How do the calvert split mono leafs act on the street?
Thx for that! I have them set on the upper front spring hole or they would REALLY raise the car too high! But as for driving them on the street, the only way I would know anything different is back there is they make a bit of noise when I shift the car (Griner manual valve body that shifts hard). For me, they fit the notion of what I built this car as: something I would have built in the 70's if I could have (I couldnt...no $$!). Manual steer, manual brakes, 408 with a lumpy SFT cam, 5 pt harnesses, roll cage to climb over, etc, etc. Ride quality is not high on my list for this car so to me, it rides just fine. Twitch your right foot and you get instant gratification!
IMG_8844.jpg

How can make any recommendation? You say you don't want the car any higher than "it is". How do WE know where that "IS" without pictures?

There is nothing wrong with the SS springs.
I would probably use the 3400 lb application.

They are WAY heavier than Calvert springs and Calvert
will work with you on the ride height (Adjustable by changing
the rear segments).
Thx John - I learned something here. I didn't know Calvert would/could change out the rear half of the leaf to adjust ride height.

The rear segments are the correct way to adjust
the ride height. The front spring hanger holes are correctly
used to adjust how hard the bars hit the suspension.

I bought mine from Summit at the end of last year. Mopar part numbers and Made In Mexico stamped on them. Luckily I like Mexicans so it doesn’t bother me.

Mopar Performance P3412003 Mopar Performance Competition Leaf Springs | Summit Racing
Mopar Performance P3412002 Mopar Performance Competition Leaf Springs | Summit Racing
liking mexicans has nothing to do with it , I have set that was on an A body race car , and the 002 is bent just in front of the rear spring hangar . I swithched some leafs out and supported the bent one more , but havent tried them ....

liking mexicans has nothing to do with it , I have set that was on an A body race car , and the 002 is bent just in front of the rear spring hangar . I swithched some leafs out and supported the bent one more , but havent tried them ....
Are you talking about new or used springs? If you bought a set of used springs from a race car and they are bent you can hardly blame the springs. If you bought new springs that were bent you should have exchanged them.

I bought mine from Summit at the end of last year. Mopar part numbers and Made In Mexico stamped on them. Luckily I like Mexicans so it doesn’t bother me.

Mopar Performance P3412003 Mopar Performance Competition Leaf Springs | Summit Racing
Mopar Performance P3412002 Mopar Performance Competition Leaf Springs | Summit Racing
I have a brand new set of these but was debating on selling and purchasing a set of stock 340 springs. How do they ride and do they sit much higher than stock?

I have a brand new set of these but was debating on selling and purchasing a set of stock 340 springs. How do they ride and do they sit much higher than stock?
Oh yeah, they will lift you a few inches over stock, and the passenger side sits a lil higher than the driver side. The ride is fine, and they hook great with street tires.

IMG_3262.png

No it has to do with crappy Mexican metallurgy.

I just went through and continue in this debacle. Replaced stock with SS and had nearly 5 inches of clearance between the tire and wheel lip, car was JACKED to F n high. Bought Calvert +1 split mono leafs and had same issue. 255 15 tire for street. 275 for track. Under recommendation from Calvert, waiting on -1 springs to be delivered. Saga continues

20230731_172954.jpg

20230731_172509.jpg

20230508_171738.jpg

20230508_171731.jpg

20230508_171922.jpg

Screenshot_20230801-102757_Gallery.jpg

-
Back