Which manifold for my 383 build?

-

rklein383

Reaction score
I am building a 383 with around 9.25-1 compression, 906 heads, and a Comp 268 cam. I have a friend that has 3 intakes, all single plane. A Offy 360, a Torker 383, and an Edelbrock TM6 (?) for pretty cheap.

Is one of these decent for my application? or do you have a better recommendation.

Thanks,
Rod

If it was me,I would use a dual plane for the street and the engine size you have and the performance level you are going to be at.If you are going to buy one of the intakes,choose the one with the smallest intake runner size to keep the air speed up in the intake,as the big the intake runner and not much rpm,the slower the air speed,mrmopartech

If it was me,I would use a dual plane for the street and the engine size you have and the performance level you are going to be at.If you are going to buy one of the intakes,choose the one with the smallest intake runner size to keep the air speed up in the intake,as the big the intake runner and not much rpm,the slower the air speed,mrmopartech

I was hoping he had a dual plane....

The Offy. It is a split single plane. It is closer to a dual plane than the others.

What is your application? For screaming down the track at high rpm and max HP, a single plane. For driving around with good low-end torque and mileage, a dual plane. For the ultimate in the later, an Offy "dual port", which is what I will try next on my 383.

That engine, being a short stroke BB, should make power deep into the 5k range, so i'll just rank your current choices.....

1) Offy - Probably the best of the bunch for a overall street performance car.

2) Torker - If I recall correctly, the runners are fairly small by today's standards. If you want to emphasize high end power (4000-6000) that one may be workable for you?

3) Tarantula - Forget it! I'd only recommend that for a bracket car with lots of converter & gear.

Rod! Toss'em all to the side! Your cam is very mild..
There are 2 intakes in which you should be looking at.
A MP dual plane or the RPM.
Spend the coin on a new & better intake.

If you want a stock appearing engine that surprises alot of people, try to find a dp4b on ebay. Paint it engine color and youre good to go. It would work great with your cam, and was an over the counter part back in the day. If you can afford new, get a performer RPM.

-
Back