Which manifold is better?

-

MRL Performance

Reaction score
Here is a debate type question.

Which one of these manifolds is going to make more HP/TQ? Or are they going to make about the same?

Attachments

• Mnifold.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 489
I think there's too many variables in regard to intended use and camshaft.
But... In the spirit of playing (or biting the bait, as it might be...lol)
I'd think the HP manifolds will make better power overall, but the truck will make more torque off idle when paired with the cam that's matched to intended use.
If you're simply removing headers, running HPs, then the trucks, on an engine built for street/strip or strip/street, they will be close, but the HPs should make more steam.

Mike you dirty dog.

Never tested them on the dyno, but, on the flow bench, the HP manifolds flow the LEAST amount of air when tested on a cylinder head.

.............I've ran all types in a truck application....truck/motor home, log and hp.....if towing is the game then use the factory manifolds, they also handle the heat better..........kim......

These are the kinda manifolds that I have for my 331 Hemi. They came on big trucks and Chrysler 300 letter cars. They have 2.5" outlets with the obvious HP "rams horn" design. Since Chrysler put them on trucks and high performance cars of the era, I am going with the manifolds in the first picture.

Attachments

• exhaust4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 477
These are the kinda manifolds that I have for my 331 Hemi. They came on big trucks and Chrysler 300 letter cars. They have 2.5" outlets with the obvious HP "rams horn" design. Since Chrysler put them on trucks and high performance cars of the era, I am going with the manifolds in the first picture.

Interesting...................................

Mike you dirty dog.

Never tested them on the dyno, but, on the flow bench, the HP manifolds flow the LEAST amount of air when tested on a cylinder head.

Well you always hear "HP this and HP that", but I found no proof they work better. To me, just by looking at the 2, the truck manifolds get the nob. But I would love to test this on the dyno. Anyone have a set they want to donate to the cause? Ill test them back to back with the truck manifolds.

What size outlets do those truck mannyfolds have? They need to be the really rare 4 hole flange wedge truck mannyfolds with the 2.5" outlets.....but those are even more rare than the Hemi mannyfolds I posted. Either way, the truck mannyfolds may outflow the hipo ones. Who knows?

I can see where the HPs would suck on a bench. Unless you have an adaptor for the manifold flange and are pulling in the direction of flow. The longer the manifold port the worse it will flow in reverse. It's mostly in the cam design anyway.

Im willing to donate my time and effort if someone donates a set of manifolds. Ill return them after testing.

Hell, send me an Early Hemi and Ill test that too LOL. No seriously, I would.

It's like my slant right this minute.....in pieces. But a lot more pieces. At least the slant has taken the turn to assembly though.

So, does anyone want to know which one is truly better? All I need is a set of "HP" manifolds for testing.

-
Back