Which path to take on tranny

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
I have a 904 tranny (used) I have no history of the tranny. I am also not a mechanic. As far as cost goes, would it be less expensive to have the used tranny rebuilt or just buy a new one??? example:

chucker54_2095_75287893
TCI Sizzler Transmissions
Automatic Transmission, Forward Shift Pattern, Automatic Valve Body, Mopar, Torqueflite A-904

$739.00

Thanks, John

It should be way less expensive just to build your own. The last few rebuilds I've done have been around the $200 range including a shift kit. Rebuilding transmissions is not that hard as long as you have a factory service manual and lay everything out nice and neat on the workbench. Dive right into it.

thanks for the reply once again! However,
1. I can't hang a picture on the wall
2. no tools
3. no workbench
4. no manual
5. Seems like most mechanics around here want an" arm & a leg" for labor

Whatcha think????

I have a 904 tranny (used) I have no history of the tranny. I am also not a mechanic. As far as cost goes, would it be less expensive to have the used tranny rebuilt or just buy a new one??? example:

chucker54_2095_75287893
TCI Sizzler Transmissions
Automatic Transmission, Forward Shift Pattern, Automatic Valve Body, Mopar, Torqueflite A-904

$739.00

Thanks, John
Hello, I just had my 904 rebuilt by Arnolds transmission out of Cocoa, Fl. It cost a total of 954.00 Total/tax included. They did everything. They pulled it, rebuilt it and put it back together. I can't give enough praise to them. They even kept all the parts for my inspection. The transmission looks and performs better than new. I twisted the neck off the torque converter one day last week when I put the pedal to the floor. I new the trans was old and going so I was having fun with it. I too was going to order a TCI trans from summit. But after a quick call to Arnolds(been in business 30 years) I realized I couldn't order one, plus all supportive parts, Plus shipping of over 100.00, for my install that cheap. I hope this helps.

Hey MoparMuscleGuy! I used to live in Melbourne Fl. May I ask what "supporting" parts I would need?? Thanks, John

Hey MoparMuscleGuy! I used to live in Melbourne Fl. May I ask what "supporting" parts I would need?? Thanks, John
It all adds up fast. Trans 760.00 plus 100.00 shipping, gaskets, new torque converter can run from 115 to 400 depending on performance, Trans fluid, etc. I just said do it for 954.00 total. I felt my time was better spent at work for the money.:book: P.S. Don't forget the trans jack expense if you don't have one which I didn't.

It all adds up fast. Trans 760.00 plus 100.00 shipping, gaskets, new torque converter can run from 115 to 400 depending on performance, Trans fluid, etc. I just said do it for 954.00 total. I felt my time was better spent at work for the money.:book:

I understand your point! I will need a new converter as well.. I am in no hurry so that helps. pm me if you ever get up this way!! Thanks, John

You know it's ashame how much they won't to rebuild a trans. now. I had a shop here that would build build my 904's or 727's for 200 dollars, Up til a few years ago, Now he wants 900, The bad thing is the price of parts didn't go up My cousin in ga builds em a complete rebuild kit, his price 89 dollars, torqeconverter 68 dollars, I've heard that the tci trannys don't last long, and seeing that yours is out you should be able to get it rebuilt cheaper,

You know it's ashame how much they won't to rebuild a trans. now. I had a shop here that would build build my 904's or 727's for 200 dollars, Up til a few years ago, Now he wants 900, The bad thing is the price of parts didn't go up My cousin in ga builds em a complete rebuild kit, his price 89 dollars, torqeconverter 68 dollars, I've heard that the tci trannys don't last long, and seeing that yours is out you should be able to get it rebuilt cheaper,

Thanks for your input!!! I am learning a lot and will continue to research this. I just wish I had the time & talent to undertake a task like this but i have neither. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone close enough will help me out! thanks again, John

I believe you can get a rebuilt trans. from Andrews Racing for about the same price as a TCI and I'd bet pennies to dollars the Andrew's trans. would not only perform better but last much longer. I've read numerous reports on the Mopar boards over the yrs. how TCI transmissions either didn't work correctly right out of the box or didn't last long. That's why so many guys say TCI stands for "turns to crap instantly".

Thanks for all the replies!!!! I am not going to "race" just building a "cruiser" . I love A body.. lots of good ideas and feedback!!! Thanks Again!

I had gotten some advise on building a race tranny from Chris Andrews,past it on to my tranny builder.I paid $750 canadian to have my tranny built for racing,so I,m sure just rebuilding to stock specs would be cheaper.My torque convertor,well that another cost factor.LOL

Chris Andrews(duster346) will help you get back on the road the cheapest way he can!:cheers:

I had gotten some advise on building a race tranny from Chris Andrews,past it on to my tranny builder.I paid $750 canadian to have my tranny built for racing,so I,m sure just rebuilding to stock specs would be cheaper.My torque convertor,well that another cost factor.LOL

Chris Andrews(duster346) will help you get back on the road the cheapest way he can!:cheers:

thanks PBD!!!!

-
Back