Which Power Rack&Pinion easiest/cheapest install?

-

BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMember
Reaction score
In possible preparation of a 5.7 Hemi powerplant swap AND a slight bumpsteer improvement I'm trying to find out which type/year of Powersteering Rack&Pinion unit will be the easiest to install on my '73 Dart.

I'm fairly new to these type of steeringlinkages so I'm also looking for info which R&Ps have the best length/design/similar tierod-lengths for use in the Dart.

So, what have you used and what are your experiences?

I wasn't going to reply because you were looking for the cheapest....but your steering and suspension isn't anything you should cheap on. I would strongly recomend using the RMS alterkation system. Bill's set-up is top notch. I know theres others that do this type of system, and do not have any way of commenting if they are good or not, but i did purchase the set up for my 69 Dart and sold some of his kits. No issues, very easy to install.

An aftermarket K-member is financially out of the question. This is just my daily driver on which I want to do some 'simple' improvements. It is not my only project car for that matter aswell.

So the stock K-member stays. Just looking for a (correct width) power R&P.
I believe the inner tierod-joints or torsionbars are 24" apart on my '73.
So to keep the linkage in spec (bumpsteer) I would be looking for an R&P with these same measurements aswell I would think.

maybe bob will see this and give you some help...:glasses7:

An aftermarket K-member is financially out of the question. This is just my daily driver on which I want to do some 'simple' improvements. It is not my only project car for that matter aswell.

So the stock K-member stays. Just looking for a (correct width) power R&P.
I believe the inner tierod-joints or torsionbars are 24" apart on my '73.
So to keep the linkage in spec (bumpsteer) I would be looking for an R&P with these same measurements aswell I would think.
Aint nothing simple about steering geometry

Most of the aftermarket applications change the linkage to front steer which provides more space for headers, etc.. All of the geometery changes in that.
Some do-it-yourself builds are maounting a rack from Dakota or whatever in the original rear steer position but I haven't seen that done with a power rack. The heat from any exhaust might be the underlying reason.
There is nothing wrong with the original power steering if it isn't worn out.
In fact a steering rack might not be considered an upgrade by some.
I like having a little lost motion in the steering wheel on the interstate.

I have no problems with the stock powersteering setup. My main reason for wanting to install a rack is to make room for a 5.7 Hemi by loosing the powersteering box.

I spend a good hour yesterday searching this forum through Google search, since the forum's own searchfunction kinda sucks marbles... and I found only 1 post with an installation I liked best;
It was from an Aussie dude which had fabbed a rearmounted rack in the pretty much the stock centerlink location. THAT's exactly what I intended to do aswell myself and hoped to find.
All those front mounted racks seem, sorry, all a bit too 'hacked' to me. Besides the fact that no-one seems to care about Ackerman and such. But maybe on a dragracer I wouldn't either.

But the current issue I'm currently trying to find out is, what rack&pinion has the same inner and outer balljoint locations as stock?

I think I would have no problem altering the outer balljoint width, but I'm not sure it's easy to alter the inner swivel points on a rack.

So the power steering box is in the way of the hemi swap? What about a manual steering box?

Firmfeel has lots of improvements for stock suspension/steering if you can find a way to live with the stock manual/power box. I'd go this route before altering the stock suspension geometry.

This is my daily driver. The power steering stays.
Read my previous post again, I def. prefer a REAR mounted rack to retain the stock geometry or even improve it.
Of pretty much all the rack&hack-jobs I've seen here, just about all of them screw up the geometry. I don't want any of that.

One of the obsticles would be that a power rack would be larger than a manual rack , you would have to deal with the oil pan and exhaust clearing it.

You could get a custom built power rack:
http://www.unisteer.com/seach_by_ve...t/unisteer_power_rear_steer_custom_built.html

You would have to get the angles just right to eliminate bump steer.
http://www.circletrack.com/chassistech/ctrp_1001_bump_steer_explained/viewall.html

Mock up an outer tie rod end with a bump steer gauge to figure out where you need to be as far as the racks inner width
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Deco-Bump-Steer-Gauge,2703.html

You will loose a lot of steering turning radius with a rack because they aren't built to turn as much as a steering box, that would be the killer for a street car for me personally. Having to pull in then back up because the wheel wont turn enough to park would not be fun .The front steer kits like alter K and such use a spindle that is engineered for a rack.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Swapping_to_rack_and_pinion_steering

Thanks for those links Blown71.

I already had gathered info about Ackerman geometry and such, but that CircleTrack-link puts it all nicely in one extensive article.
The custom Unisteer unit seems kinda steep in price for me, and I've also read some bad mojo about them on the net.

The lost turning radius is something to look into aswell.
Perhaps it's possible to create an extra eye in the steering arm, shorter to the lower balljoint to regain full turning radius again.

The lost turning radius is something to look into aswell.
Perhaps it's possible to create an extra eye in the steering arm, shorter to the lower balljoint to regain full turning radius again.

Here is a kit that moves the attachment point inboard torwards the balljoint to gain more turning radius. This is a kit for a mustang .

Attachments

• BumpSteerKit.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Bumpsteerkitfitted.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 298
-
Back