Which rear speakers for a 67 Valiant?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
It's my girlfriends car and I want to get her a stereo system for Christmas since it only has an AM radio right now. On my 71 Duster, there were 6x9 holes in the back tray, so I just had to cut the holes in the cardboard type covering to install them.

Her car has built in factory looking speaker grilles in the back tray covering. She has the car so I can't really go look at it for another week or so but I'm assuming there are also 6x9 holes cut into the back tray there for speakers. Is there a type of speaker out there that I could mount in there without cutting the built in speaker grilles? Some kind of speakers that mount sorta low profile and wont stick out like my Duster 6x9's do?

Just about any 6 x 9 speaker will fit, just don't use the grille that comes with them. The package shelf cover will provide the grille function. You will need to remove the back seat and slide package shelf panel cover out. This will expose the metal structure underneath. Install speakers from the trunk. Check underside of the shelf panel cover to make sure that you can see through the cut-outs. It's OK if they're covered with gauze like stuff.

Put a thin layer of foam (¼ inch max.) over the package shelf with speakers installed. Make sure the foam is cut-out to clear the speakers. The purpose of the foam is to prevent the package shelf cover from reverberating (rattling) when your tunes are on. Slide the cover back into place.

If you have vibration issues in spite of precautions, install a pair of upholstery buttons through the shelf and cover. You'll need to paint or cover the buttons to match the shelf cover. I have used cotter pins to secure the buttons which make them both removeable and adjustable for tension.

The electrical harness runs down the drivers side of the interior. Recommend running equal length of identical wire down the passenger side from your source to the speakers. There is a little protected area in the lower part of the floor pan that is an ideal place to run the wires. It requires removing the passenger door sill and pulling back the carpet to reach. Once wires are run, put the floor back in order, then re-install rear seat.

All good advice from 2 Darts!! I hate it when you look in the back window of a car and people have mistakenly installed the speakers on top of the package shelf. Makes me cringe. They go in from the bottom and give you a little quality time on your back in your trunk!!!

Here is a pic from my car during assembly. I know it LOOKS like the speakers are on top of the cardboard, but those are the mounting rings for the speaker grills. The speakers are bolted through and are hanging from the bottom of the steel shelf.

rearspeakers.jpg

I guess I should have tried to answer your original question. If you have speaker grills already, there should be a way to use those to mount your new speakers. If not, all new 6X9 should come with new grills and mounting hardware. Mine are Boston Acoustics btw, reasonably priced and shipped free from Crutchfield.com

Thanks guys, excellent advice. I wasn't sure if I needed some type of low profile speakers to keep from hitting the tray or not. Looks like if I don't use the grilles, they should fit under ok. Thanks!

I just pull the 2 wire plugs out and remove the tray to make the work easier to install the speakers.

If you can somehow mount a box, as mount speakers from top, then with long screws and weather stripping between , screw through tray and into small speaker box underneath.

this way you'll actually have some bass..lol

-
Back