which shifter handle ?

Which shifter handle ??

• factory handle

Votes: 68 87.2%
  • Short 7" handle

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
-
How did you get the stock shifter to bolt up, mine is a spade type, and the hurst 3 is a bolt on?

The stock handle is a slip in handle, it already has one hole from the factory. I drilled the 2nd hole, cut thin grooves to match the shifter base. Fits good and tight .... Plus if I ever need to put the factory shifter back in the car, the handle still locks in place. You could always buy a '71+ a-body shifter handle, they were bolt in ...

That short shifter would be alright if you were sitting on the floor! Screw that mess. I vote for comfort

The 833 is a bear to shift compared to other trans,..

I personally found that I missed more shifts with the shorty handle,,

I feel the longer handle gives me more leverage, I put my whole body into the shift,, and found it uncomfortable/impossible with the shorty, especially 2 - 3..

The short handle is mainly used when the shifter is mounted higher to be able to use the straight linkage rods. I have had a couple of those setups in the past and they are a lot of fun to drive.

To see what that looks like you can search the mechanical parts for sale section here, early in the year there was an aluminum case 18 spline 4sp for sale offered by a guy named Dorian in Canada. I found the ad by searching under either hurst super shifter or super shifter III.

The 833 is a bear to shift compared to other trans,..

I personally found that I missed more shifts with the shorty handle,,

I feel the longer handle gives me more leverage, I put my whole body into the shift,, and found it uncomfortable/impossible with the shorty, especially 2 - 3..
I did quite a bit of fumbling around trying to grab the T-handle ! .... Factory stick is back in the car !

The short handle is mainly used when the shifter is mounted higher to be able to use the straight linkage rods. I have had a couple of those setups in the past and they are a lot of fun to drive.

To see what that looks like you can search the mechanical parts for sale section here, early in the year there was an aluminum case 18 spline 4sp for sale offered by a guy named Dorian in Canada. I found the ad by searching under either hurst super shifter or super shifter III.
From what I understand, you can use the straight rods with the shifter bolted in the stock location ? I know for sure that the Hurst Ram-Rod inline shifters mount higher up and further back than stock shifter boxes. At least that's how the B-body ones mount, which pretty much puts them close to the A-body mounting location.

I don't think you could use the straight rods with the shifter mounted in the stock location. If you look at the pictures in the ad I referenced you'll see what I mean. Search in the mechanical parts for sale under "hurst super shifter" and look at an ad placed by Dorian for hemi 4sp.

When I first put my Super Shifter in my car I tried the short handle and didn't like it either. I ended up getting a Hurst handle that had a slight bend in it and was shorter than the factory handle. Works good for me. Of your 2 choices...I'd go with the factory handle and shorten it as was suggested.

When I first put my Super Shifter in my car I tried the short handle and didn't like it either. I ended up getting a Hurst handle that had a slight bend in it and was shorter than the factory handle. Works good for me. Of your 2 choices...I'd go with the factory handle and shorten it as was suggested.

do you have a picture of the handle you ended up using ?

Kinda hard to tell from the picture, but there is a slight bend at the base of the handle (under the boot).

Attachments

• '71 Demon interior2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 118
Still looks short as hell ! But I think the difference is b/t bench and bucket seats ...

The mount raises mechanism up to a decent level. Would be tight on a bench I think.
vbpgimage.php

Nice vertigate, I have a Hurst Ram Rod and don't wanna imagine the hole needed in the tunnel to hook that monster up ! I'm saving it for future B-body plans !

-
Back