Which single plane intake?

-
I run a Victor with a 1" spacer with a 750Demon, and a 108* .525/.525 Isky cam thats 256* @.050 IIRC. At 10.5cr and with bowl worked and slightly ported heads with bigger valves, my 340 runs just fine on the street with the 4 speed. Its also at 3000lbs and runs on a 3.91 gear, but a >4.30 set might be in its future.

Looking at 3.91s and 30" tires... your trap rpm cant be very high. I'm guessing if the convertors any good that your not even touching 5500. I dont think any single plane, combined with that cam, will get you faster. Were the heads flow tested? I would suggest adding plenum volume first with a spacer on top of the sucker. I really think until you're trapping in the 6K range going single plane will not help you. It will move the rpm of the peaks up, and that cam doesnt support that idea well. I like to ignore the firs two gears, and set things up for high gear. Because you can always adjust shift points for 1 and 2... There's nothing you can do 'cept ride out 3.

Looking at 3.91s and 30" tires... your trap rpm cant be very high. I'm guessing if the convertors any good that your not even touching 5500. I dont think any single plane, combined with that cam, will get you faster. Were the heads flow tested? I would suggest adding plenum volume first with a spacer on top of the sucker. I really think until you're trapping in the 6K range going single plane will not help you. It will move the rpm of the peaks up, and that cam doesnt support that idea well. I like to ignore the firs two gears, and set things up for high gear. Because you can always adjust shift points for 1 and 2... There's nothing you can do 'cept ride out 3.

It goes through the traps at 5600 right now....

Have a look at this thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=32014

I'm going to have Bobby @ BJR re-work my heads, and will be replacing the rear and will go with bigger gears.

weiand intake as it has the best powerband of all the others 1 inch phelonic spacer and the voodoo 305 series hehe ,converters are simple.ta 3500 or hughes would be my choice.

I picked up 2 tenths going fro a torker 2 to a victor 340 . Both manifolds had port work. With the victor I had to leave at a higher rpm or it would bog. You cant go by the rpm ranges they list per manifold if you are going to use them on a stroker.More cubes changes the range . I would say drop all spec 500-1000 rpms .

So mike, where do we stand on this project?

I like the Holley strip Dominator better than the M1. The holley has a much better port roof at the carb pad the way it comes from holley. The M1 has a 'corner' that needs to be radiused before it should be used. With a nice gentle smooth radius on the port roof at the carb pad it is as good as the strip dominator. I believe the strip dominator was the inspiration for the M1. They are too similar in design, shape and size (volume). JMHO
Terry

So mike, where do we stand on this project?

Nowhere, really... the heads and intake are still on the motor, my bank account still has the money allocated to this project sitting in it... Every time I think I have some extra time to do something with the car the phone rings, with either one of my clients calling about a problem or some change they want or a new client asking for a quote. So looking at it from a business perspective it's good that I haven't had time to work on my car. But from a car guy/drag racer perspective, it sucks that I haven't had time to work on my car.

I did manage to find time to get the hood off. That's a start, right? ;-)

IMG_0046.JPG

I did manage to find time to get the hood off. That's a start, right?
Why, yes it is, LOL, I guess sometimes it's just baby steps in the direction you want to go in until your good to run with it or finish it.

All the above advice is sound from their perspectives.
I believe your engine builder will have the best advice.
If BJR is doing the heads, thay can match the intake/carb combo and recommend the best cam stall and gear for your application.
How many rpm and power will the bottom end support?
If you go much faster will you have to make alot of changes to pass tech?
12.16 times is pretty quick.
I to also believe changing the rearend is a good idea.
The carnage from a failure can be expensive, a blanket on the trans
is a good investment also.

Hey, I made some progress.

Intake is off, rockers are off, headers are off.... tomorrow the heads come off!

AdamЯ;221785 said:
The air gap will show very little gain if any over the RPM. They have the same runners, same height. Only difference is the gap and lack of heat cross over. That would be a waste of $300

The Magnum Carte motors have a cam about the same size as yours and run the M1. But I think the M1 or any other single plane is going to want more gear and a looser converter.

Correct...really the air-gap is a sales pitch. Performance wise they can say all they want, but its hot air around there anyways. Not worth the money.......Thermoquads gain popularity when it comes to heat since the plastic housing disipates heat quicker than all metal carbs.

Correct...really the air-gap is a sales pitch. Performance wise they can say all they want, but its hot air around there anyways. Not worth the money

Well the Edelbrock Air Gap on my stroker disagrees with you, and any test that have been done by the leading magazines have it performing better then ANY other dual-plane,and BETTER then a lot of the single planes out there..Ever try one???..Thermo-quads:thumbdow:we use to take them off and throw them in the trash...plastic carb...lol....

Well the Edelbrock Air Gap on my stroker disagrees with you, and any test that have been done by the leading magazines have it performing better then ANY other dual-plane,and BETTER then a lot of the single planes out there..Ever try one???..Thermo-quads:thumbdow:we use to take them off and throw them in the trash...plastic carb...lol....

You do realize he's talking about a RPM vs a RPM air gap right?

Next time you get a plastic carb, let me know so you can send it my way. Older than 75 is good. 75+ truck carbs ok too.

You do realize he's talking about a RPM vs a RPM air gap right?

Next time you get a plastic carb, let me know so you can send it my way. Older than 75 is good. 75+ truck carbs ok too.

Yes,i do and i still disagree..any thermo-quads i come across i'll think of ya'....

OK, just wanted to be sure. I have not ever seen a dyno test of RPM vs RPM air-gap. Would seem senseless to me. I can see an edge with the air gap in power. Thats why I have one. (Air-Gap)
Mikel B runs a reg. RPM on his 360 Duster.

I found a Strip Dominator on eBay for a really good price... so now I'm waiting for that to arrive.

My heads arrived at Bobby's shop this morning.

I'm working on a deal for a rear end.

Things are moving right along! ;-)

-
Back