Which Spindle goes where?

-

equium

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a scarebird conversion on my 70 Valiant.
I took great care to lay my parts on big piece of poster board, labeling each part (R and L) as I did. And what do I do? I carry both of my spindles over to my parts washer and throw them in.
I don't know which is the Right or Left. I mocked one up on my bench with the Left LCA.
It looks like it might be pretty obvious when re-assembly time comes, but I want to be sure.
Thanks for reading
Danny

Your spindles really don't care which is a "left" or which is a "right"
They can be installed on either side.
It depends which way that you want to mount the calipers.
Facing forward, or facing the rear.
Figure out which way you want to install the calipers, look at the spindle(s) and you will figure it out.

What spindles are you starting out with?
Disc brake spindles from a donor car.
Or drum brake spindles? 9 inch? 10 inch?

I may have to change my answer, upon knowing what your working with.

The Spindles are definitely different.
They are 10" drum brake spindles.
I see that one of the lower holes are threaded.
I vaguely recall that the threaded hole was to the rear of the car.

Your lower ball joints still connected to the lower control arms?
Match up the spindle to the ball joints.

Your lower ball joints still connected to the lower control arms?
Match up the spindle to the ball joints.
No they're not, but you gave me an idea.
My Scarebird brackets are designed so that the caliper opening is forward of the axle.
I just mocked them up and now I know which end is right and left.
Thanks for the nudge, hemi

It's never too late, hemi71x. It was great to read that other thread. Someone mentioned the threaded hole, too.
thanks again for the help.

Factory calipers are mounted toward the front of the car.
If you mount them toward the back, you might run into brake line routing problems that might cause an unsafe situation.

Factory calipers are mounted toward the front of the car.
If you mount them toward the back, you might run into brake line routing problems that might cause an unsafe situation.

Depends on what style braking system your talking about.
Single piston calipers Are mounted towards the front.
But, if your talking about the Kelsey Hayes, 4 piston calipers, they are mounted towards the rear.

I had the same pondering for my 65 Dart w/ 10" drums a few years ago. I had even made a drawing, but didn't note if that was looking from the inside or outside, plus a year had elapsed after painting, etc. A photo is worth 1000 crappy drawings, so I re-post one from the link in post #6.

I found that one hole is threaded when I stripped the threads beating that bolt out. I thought I remembered which bolt I had beat, but the only way the ball joint sat correctly was opposite my memory. I couldn't make out the PN's on the spindle forgings. The drum backing plates are matched to the L & R spindles, but the stamped numbers didn't follow the Mopar even/odd PN = left/right (or vice-versa) standard (assembled as below). Anyway, the orientation I finally decided upon matches the photo below, w/ ball joint steering arm dropping lower at aft.

Attachments

• 10 in drum spindle orientation.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 124
-
Back