Which TV package to get?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, fellow Faboians, we're looking to get TV for the first time and I figured I'd see what y'all recommend! First off, I do know we can't get Comcast where we're at....

What I'm looking for is to be able to watch any and every NFL game I want, car shows are a plus, maybe drag racing, some NBA, MLB and college football and basketball.

I know we can get Dish, sudden link and I think we can get direct tv. What do y'all have, what all can you watch with your package, what can't you watch that you wish you could and how much per month?

Thanks!

Roku Stick with Amazon prime + HBO,Starz and Showtime

Roku stick $49 one time
Amazon $8.25
HBO $15
Starz $9
Showtime $9

Total per month $41.25

If you have android/smart set TV, load KODI on it. Or, buy a fully loaded TV box ( mine is MXq plus android 5.1 less than 30 bucks ) and hook to the tv you have. These boxes typically include a HDMI cable. If you need alternative AV cable to your TV, thats another 99 cents at ebay.
Watch everything for free. The sports add-on you want is SportsDevilNL.
If you're not familiar with KODI, Google your way to their website follow up with YouTube tutorials.

Roku Stick with Amazon prime + HBO,Starz and Showtime

Roku stick $49 one time
Amazon $8.25
HBO $15
Starz $9
Showtime $9

Total per month $41.25
This...Running the Roku,found all sorts of free gearhead stuff,on YouTube,as a bonus.... FWIW:Still have the basic DirectTv package,plus the sports package ... Getting towards 90 bucks,a month.

We are beyond cables reach...and have the bottom tier of DSL so streaming is tough. We have DirecTV. Ernestina has been complaining about the price of it...more like the bundle price of the satellite and our Internet. We were approached by the DirecTV rep in Costco, she talked to him about the price of their service. He informed her that because of the amount of time we have been customers, going on 8 years, that she needs to call them and ***** about things. Told her that they "should" be able to drop the channels we never watch and adjust the price.
Don't know if this is still going on...and it is big time illegal...but I had a hacked card and anot invisible reliever, had every channel available from DirecTV. All the ****, all the movie channels....every local channel nation wide. Had something to do with cloning a retailers card and soldering something in the box so it could not be seen on the network. Good times...

Remember,Ink: Direct got bought out,by A.T&T.. According to some FABO folk here,customer service,is way downhill...

I have ATT uverse home phone and internet only. Currently 70 per month. They're constantly offering me the Direct TV. I've never paid to watch tv, never will.

27 years, no TV.

It saves money & time for car stuff. ;-)

Actually for me it doesn't save money. Only reason I want TV is for sports. Last year we went to Buffalo Wild Wings almost every Sunday to watch the Broncos games, figure up the cost of gas, driving time and cost of food and TV is cheaper. And you can chill at home.

I have had Dish Network for over 20 years but if I was just starting out Direct is the only one to have a total Football package. Dish advertises a total sports net but the package they have will blackout certain games. I was lucky here in Arizona I only missed one Bronco game last year. Since Cardinals are NFC the Bronco game's were game of choice here in AFC. If that changes I might switch to Direct.

Just shut off my satellite (DirecTV) Got tired of paying so much, to watch maybe 6 channels besides local ones. On my 1 month trial of Netflix. If I keep that $9.99 a month. Going to research some of the suggestions mentioned above.

I must mention that some of the steams available free aren't as pretty as what you get when paid for.
It's picked off the satellite feed and transmitted to who knows where on earth and back again so its going to loose some quality. No blackouts though.
The recent NASCAR races and Braves baseball for my examples... 4 to 6 sources available. I try them all and stick with the best one.

I use an antennae ...24 channels but no all sports channels. I get all the Steeler games but not all the Penn State games. Power Block and things on Saturday morning and ME TV. I'm happy.

Well, I'm a Denver fan and live in Ky so I don't think I'll be able to find an antenna big enough to pull in the broncos games. Lol

I have one of these. 54 channels with digital quality. Total each month.......$0.00
I don't get ESPN but with the money I save, I can walk down to the bar and watch the game.
high-quality-attic-tv-antenna-13-attic-antenna-640-x-480.jpg

If you decide to go the internet/roku/apple TV route the MotorTrend subscription is pretty nice for $5 a month. Especially if you like watching GT/Lemans type road racing events.

I have Dish and right now they are in a dispute and have dropped channels, including FOX who's airing the Seahawks football pre season game tomorrow. Dish is fighting it out with the broadcasters, say they don't want to pass increased prices on to us. Like it's all about us....so that may be something to think about. OTA is not really an option where I'm at and left Comcast because we couldn't get our cable bill down to a reasonable amount, no matter what we dropped. Dish has some nice features though, picking up a DVR or paused channel in another room, on demand etc. etc.

I have one of these. 54 channels with digital quality. Total each month.......$0.00
I don't get ESPN but with the money I save, I can walk down to the bar and watch the game.
high-quality-attic-tv-antenna-13-attic-antenna-640-x-480.jpg
We've had a aerial antenna all along. Back in January we moved out the 200 lb. CRT tv and got a 55 inch Sony 4K 3D unit. That level of TV with nothing more than "rabbit ears" seemed foolish. I feel the same way about poverty caps on some cars. Anyway...
that tv prompted my upgrading my web connection from basic dsl to U-verse and seeking out sources for 3d and all other programing available free. Thus the tv box.
Of course there were other costs... a surge protector that covers everything including that aerial wire, 4 pair of rechargeable active 3d glasses, and a fancy popcorn maker. LOL
oh yeah I forgot, and a karaoke microphone

For my Wife and I TV is a big part of our entertainment budget so for us it makes sense to have the Dish and a lot of channels......although sometimes the entertainment is " I just cruised through every channel we have and still didn't find anything to watch":lol::lol:

During supper we watched another ep of Chip and Joanna Gaines FuxerUper ( LOL at my typo, saw it didn't change it). We're about half way through season 3.
Next we watched a netflix original film, Confirmation. We have to choose something. We could easily browse our viewing time away.
Wondering if my comments about KODI will get this thread moved to N&P ?

During supper we watched another ep of Chip and Joanna Gaines FuxerUper ( LOL at my typo, saw it didn't change it). We're about half way through season 3.
Next we watched a netflix original film, Confirmation. We have to choose something. We could easily browse our viewing time away.
Wondering if my comments about KODI will get this thread moved to N&P ?
That's a great show. We watch that on Netflix.

-
Back