Which Voltage Regulator

-

rsaun191

Reaction score
What is one of the better brand solid state electronic voltage regulators and where can I get one.Sorry forgot to mention for a 68 car converted to electronic ignition.

Things are constantly being Chineseaoated, so what "was" 5, 10, 15 years ago "may not be" now today.

The "go to" quality 69/ earlier replacements were the NAPA VR1001 and Blue Streak VR128. These however do NOT look like the old ones

$_35.JPG

I cannot find either of these part numbers must be to old.They look like the mopar blue race only regulator.There must be another new or another part number for this type regulator.

Could be. You can buy the best name brand you can find. I must say I'm TERRIBLY dissapointed in NAPA. At one time they were the "top of the heap" for quality.

About 10 years ago I put one of these from Auto Zone in my 1968 cuda when the original fried the points.The voltage remains more stable with one of these. Wow I paid about $18 back then so it's gone up in price.

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...ByKeyWord=VOLTAGE+REGULATOR&fromString=search

It's electronic and has been very reliable. The two stock wires go right on no problem. I actually took the black steel case off my original and crimped it over this new style and it's really hard to notice the new part because it's covered. I had never seen anyone do that before and I posted it on the Barracuda Owners Group. (I'm claiming design patent ;-)) Now it seems pretty common to do that and I believe you can actually buy an old style with electronic guts.

About 10 years ago I put one of these from Auto Zone in my 1968 cuda when the original fried the points.The voltage remains more stable with one of these. Wow I paid about $18 back then so it's gone up in price.

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...ByKeyWord=VOLTAGE+REGULATOR&fromString=search

Don't know what you intended there, but a whole page of various stuff comes up

Just took a quick look on th' bay and there seems to be a bunch of "claimed" look alikes. I'd be they are 3rd world. Man I don't know anymore.

Another route you can go is to put a 70 / later alternator and add one wire, and use the 70/ later regulator.

Also, various people market these "one wire" conversions. I have no idea who makes what that is "quality."

http://store.alternatorparts.com/partnod7024.aspx

Just called a local store and they do have their "better line" replacement VR32. Sounds to me like this is the best you'll do. He said sounds like the VR1001 and VR128 are dead. Some were available "back east" but he says they cannot order them from the supplier anymore

I bought a few of the early Vreg's on rockauto for $11 in the last few years. They are thin chrome boxes and electronic, but w/ same connectors as a 1962-70 Vreg. Some name brand (forgot), but doesn't mean not Chinese-made.

I run a Direct Connection one in my 66 340 with electronic ignition and been going great for over 8 years and 10,000+ miles later :glasses7:

I bought a few of the early Vreg's on rockauto for $11 in the last few years. They are thin chrome boxes and electronic, but w/ same connectors as a 1962-70 Vreg. Some name brand (forgot), but doesn't mean not Chinese-made.

I'm using the Rockauto regulator that Bills talking about. Not factory looking but it's for electronic ignition systems. Airtex/Wells Part #1V1067 I wish they were still $11, just ordered a back up one for $31, like to keep a spare in the trunk.

-
Back