Which water pump?

-

bamamopar

Reaction score
I need a new water pump for my little swinger. It's a street/stripe/everyday driver. Which is the best mechanical pump? Just a AutoZone replacement or a high flow one? Thanks Mark

It's your car and your money, but my advice is to buy nothing from Autozone.
You'll be doing the job again sooner rather than later.
Spend a few $ more and get a premium pump.

I think A/C equipped cars had a different (heavy duty) water pump. I just replaced my water pump with a good local parts store one, not a 90 day warranty part. I noticed the one I took off was an 8 blade impeller measuring about 4 3/8". The "good" one I bought was a 6 blade impeller measuring about 3 3/4". Apparently they aren't all created equal. I would shop around if I were you.

I have the better AutoZone or whichever parts store we went to on it. We put it on when I was in highschool. I wonder if a high flow would help much?

A lot of discussion of the 6 vs 8 blade water pumps in AC vs non-AC cars, resp. Some think one is better, but wonder why fewer blades if AC, how can that be better? Best explanation I have heard (maybe my idea, forgot) is that the reason is because the pulleys were different diameters. Each pump is optimal for the pulley it uses and rpm it runs at. Why would they not put the best water pump possible in all cars? Doesn't appear to be a cost difference.

As long as you were cooling fine before, I'd just hunt down a reasonable cost new stock replacement pump for your application.

As far as the 6/8 blade issue, i agree it may have been dictated by pulley ratio.....but the blade angle could have played a role in that also?

Mancini racing had some aluminum small block water pumps for just under $50 brand new.

Call them and see if they still have them and at that price.

The A/C water pumps had a better impeller for more flow. They work fine on non A/C cars and will give better flow.

I had a 8 blade pump originally on my car. Well it started leaking and when I went to get a replacement. They didnt offer me the option of a 6 or 8. I believe I got mine at Napa and if I remember right they had the same part number for either one. Or they just didnt tell me they had the other one. LOL

bought a Mildon threw summit racing thinking it should be a good pump.its says GMB on it.Thats the same new water pump I got when replacing the pumps on my newer cars and trucks.Dont use reman.will normally fail real quick.

I just ordered a aluminum hi flow milodon water pump. I was going to order a mopar performance one but Chrysler won't give you discount on performance parts anymore.

Just get a lifetime warranty model. They are all the same, you are only paying for the warranty. The impeller was designed for the pulley system it operated on, hence the different blade count. I dont think one will outflow the other and if you think about it, they both will be pumping through the same small stat opening so hi-flow is a gimmick. A new water pump wont help cooling unless your old impeller was rotted out or off the shaft. A simple fan shroud is a free cooling upgrade.

-
Back