Which will get to the end of 1/4 the quickest

-
Excuses??...my car runs runs 11.0's good or bad weather,i don;t blame weather conditions on what number my car runs...11.18 in BAD weather, 10.80's in GOOD weather pleaseeee.......put your other brothers 493 in the volare and it'll run low 10's..geez,if i put my buddies hemi in my car it would run 9's,by the way i said a-bodies not f,or b-bodies...

One last thing...whats it matter the body type if the cars weigh the same and hook up and go down the track straight? LOL

.030 Forged 11:1 pistons, steel crank, MP .590 lift solid cam, 906 heads ported , Crane Gold roller rockers. Edelbrock TM-7 intake, 850 Holley.
4500 stall converter.

Or

.030 13-1 pistons, mp solid .525 cam, ported x heads, Crane roller rockers, 850 Holley
4500 stall converter.

Both running a 727
Rear gears 4.10 for the 440, and 4.10 or 4.56 or 4.88 for the 340.
Based on being in the same car, which would be quicker in the 1/4 mile.

Good point Dericks. Back to the original question. We know what pistons are in the engines. But what is the true compression ratio? All things equal, the 440 has a larger cam with more cubes, the 440 wins. Are you considering buying either engine?

340srule will not answer the question straight up. It's either his way or no way. He doesn't yet realize that he is not running a 340 anymore :snakeman:. Let's stop feeding the fire.

Thankyou, I said I was done but I just thought of something looking at the cams. Even with the 4.56 or 4.88 in the 340 could the cam currently in that engine pull the kind of RPM he would need??? I guess that would also depend on tire height too. Any thoughts?

The .508 MP cam in my 340 with non ported #308 iron heads is flat done at 6000rpm. I picked up three tenths by short shifting the car, I backed down from 6600 to 6000 rpm and it goes through the traps around 6100-6200. I have a 4.30 gear with a 28 inch tall tire. How much more RPM could you get out of the solid compared to my hyd?

.030 Forged 11:1 pistons, steel crank, MP .590 lift solid cam, 906 heads ported , Crane Gold roller rockers. Edelbrock TM-7 intake, 850 Holley.
4500 stall converter.

Or

.030 13-1 pistons, mp solid .525 cam, ported x heads, Crane roller rockers, 850 Holley
4500 stall converter.

Both running a 727
Rear gears 4.10 for the 440, and 4.10 or 4.56 or 4.88 for the 340.
Based on being in the same car, which would be quicker in the 1/4 mile.

Lets make this fair, give me the above 340 but with the same.590 cam as the 440 in a a-body..and i'll see ya' at the track,talk is talk but racing is racing,all depends on whos driving too..

Lets make this fair, give me the above 340 but with the same.590 cam as the 440 in a a-body..and i'll see ya' at the track,talk is talk but racing is racing,all depends on whos driving too..

The combinations listed by Mopower71 are way too specific to make this a hypothetical situation. As it appears to me he wants only the combinations listed. The 440 being of larger bore and stroke and correct me if I'm wrong but a 906 head will flow more air than an x head with the same porting just by virtue of port size and a .590 cam will allow more air into the combustion chamber than a .525 cam therefore an engine really being nothing more than an "air pump" the 440 even though a couple hundred pounds heavier on average and giving up 2 points compression will still be faster in the same car using the same driver. Wheww!...with that being said GIVE IT A REST!

The combinations listed by Mopower71 are way too specific to make this a hypothetical situation. As it appears to me he wants only the combinations listed. The 440 being of larger bore and stroke and correct me if I'm wrong but a 906 head will flow more air than an x head with the same porting just by virtue of port size and a .590 cam will allow more air into the combustion chamber than a .525 cam therefore an engine really being nothing more than an "air pump" the 440 even though a couple hundred pounds heavier on average and giving up 2 points compression will still be faster in the same car using the same driver. Wheww!...with that being said GIVE IT A REST!

Well we'll just agree to disagree on this..

I have 74 plymouth duster with a 30 over 360 in it it has 12.1 comp. and a 585 lift comp. cam the car weighs 3100lb. and best time so far is 10.80 and i think there more in it i havn't got to run it much

Why not build both engines and take 'em to the track and post the results. Your ride can be our test car. Hehehehehe!

Of the two combinations listed, it would be the 440, especially if the 340 had TTi's on it! :lol:

Why not build both engines and take 'em to the track and post the results. Your ride can be our test car. Hehehehehe!
I have both engines, If you have or know someone that has the tools so I can do the valvejob on the x-heads I'll put it together. I'll also need a gasket kit.
I'll also need to rebuild the small block 727.
The 440 is together and in the car.

Well, whats it run with the 440??? Whats the target for the little guy?
Well, let's play What do you think it will run.
4:10 spool rear, BFG DOT 325x50x15, about 27.8 dia. 2 1/2" exhaust with mufflers, cal-tracs, 2" pro-parts headers.
I will say that when I did run it the front end was topped out almost to the bump stops so there wasn't much front end rise.

4500 stall converter

Well, let's play What do you think it will run.
4:10 spool rear, BFG DOT 325x50x15, about 27.8 dia. 2 1/2" exhaust with mufflers, cal-tracs, 2" pro-parts headers.
I will say that when I did run it the front end was topped out almost to the bump stops so there wasn't much front end rise.

So you're saying you blew the tires off it because of the lack of front end rise????Hmmm...12.00's, Hey you wanted a guess:)

Well theres part of your problem those bfg's are GARBAGE,get yourself a pair of m/t drag radials,and deffinately remove the rebound bumpers,remove the rear spring clamps and add them to the front of your leaf springs,if your not already running them get a set of drag shocks,and a pinion snubber too..As i stated before my duster with nothing more then a cheap set of Summit drag shocks and a pinion snubber 60' in the 1.40s..oh and i run m/t drag radials of coarse..

Like I said, I have cal-tracs on it. It also has 9 way adjustables on the rear and adjustable Koni's in the front that are set to 90/10.
I do plan on getting a set of slicks, and pulling the exhaust off along with rejetting the carb.
The front end has already been fixed, so it should have some nice travel.
The BFG's that you say are GARBAGE seem to hook fairly well at 18psi and the cal-tracs.

Dropping that 60' will put that car in the 11.40's easy. I hope you get the comparision together. This may be closer than I thought with the 340's lack of torque compared to the 440, traction may be better.

My car regularly runs 12.00's at 112 with a 1.75 60 foot on a M/T Sportsman Pro
69 340 0.040 over trw 10.1 comp
MP 292/.508 cam
stock crank/rods
Non ported 308 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves
hooker 1 5/8 headers 3 inch exhaust 2.5 H pipe dynomax ultraflo's
Eddy TorkerII intake 750 Holley HP
904 with 3500 stall

SS springs pinion snubber
28x13.5x15 ET streets (car ran times on Sportsman Pros)
The big thing is the 3130 weight with me and 5 gallons pump gas

I can't wait for spring.
I didn't get a chance to get the car out of the garage last year, so I don't know what affect tweaking the front end will do. It should help the 60'. The front end will now have a chance to rise, it was stiff as a board before. You couldn't push the front end down much at all.
Also the muffles are old restrictive hookers I think, and at 2 1/2" are probably causing all kinds of restriction.
As for the weight of the car. I haven't a clue. There's always an issue with the scale when I'm at the track.
I have also replaced the front bumper, it's now fiberglass, and I also chucked one set of brackets, didn't think I needed both of them. That should get a little bit of weight off the front end.

I may be wrong here but, I would think with that 440 would get that Demon to about 10.90's? Something just seems off power wise.
The exhaust seems to be a bottle neck, and with 4.10's and 325x50x15 tires what kind of RPMs are you running through the traps. What's that 590 lift cam pull to?
Also have you tried some different intakes?

I may be wrong here but, I would think with that 440 would get that Demon to about 10.90's? Something just seems off power wise.
The exhaust seems to be a bottle neck, and with 4.10's and 325x50x15 tires what kind of RPMs are you running through the traps. What's that 590 lift cam pull to?
Also have you tried some different intakes?
Something not right I agree.
The cam is suppose to run 3500-6900 rpm.
Just over 6000 thru the traps at 113 mph.
And I have not swaped intakes.
I have only put 3 runs on the engine, and that was at the Mopars at the Valley, back in 2006.
The pistons I beleive are heavy older trw slugs.
The exhaust is a big bottle neck, I know that, but I have them on so I don't drive the neighbors crazy.
They will be coming off and the carb will get rejetted.

You are on the right track with the front end work, the weight loss, and the exhaust but it sounds like a gear change may be in order. What do you shift the car at?

-
Back