Which wire?

-

JonmisnerJr.

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a 69 dart i am rewiring. i have the summit racing wiring kit and i have it all hooked up and everything works but a few little things.Does anyone know what wire on the back of the gauge cluster is the power wire for the temp and fuel gauge? i know it runs throught the reducer to only give it 5 volts but i cannot figure out which one it is. on the schematic it shows one wire but it looks to be differant on the car!Any help would be greatly appreciated!

drk blue w/ white tracer. Originally came from ignition switch. At the instrument panel it supplies 12 volts to the limiter and the brake lamp and a oil warning lamp if equipped.

That is what i thought and when i hooked it up it blew the fuse. Pink is fuel and violet is temp right?

no fuel sender wire is dark blue no tracer. Purple is temp sender signal, grey is oil sender wire with or without gauge. I don't recall a pink.

If my memory serves, wire to park brake switch was black or black w/white tracer. turns are green and brown. So whats left for a pink ? Hi beam indictor maybe

Why don't you download the 69 Dodge service manual free from this thread, so you can see the wiring yourself? It will also help with other parts of your car.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244981

BINGO and you can look at the back of the cluster and trace things out. The pin on the cluster which feeds the IVR is the broken pin to the right in the bottom photo

In the top photo, the left IVR terminal is ground, see the screw at very top? The blue is the copper trace. The two black wires are added grounding pigtails.

The far right IVR terminal hooks to the stud at bottom right in the photo. This is one of the gauge studs. Follow that again in the bottom photo. The blue trace connects the left and the third stud from the left. These are the IVR outputs feeding both the gauges.

Power, then, (top photo) comes into the center IVR stud. If you follow that trace off to the right (bottom photo) it goes to the third connector pin from the right, the broken one. I actually just abandoned the connectors on mine, soldered pigtails to the board, and used "Molex" style connectors to replace the originals

As you can see, I'm a cheap SOB. The small wires connected to the "ammeter" studs are actually the voltmeter.

NOTICE the IVR socket. On mine, those brass fingers WERE NOT making good contact with the PC board traces, hence, soldering the brass contacts to the board traces.

Attachments

• VRsolder.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 67one.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 67two.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 67three.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 114
im sorry to confuse everyone. pink was the wire i was hooking up which is fuel gauge on my new wiring harness. thanks for the info. i will look things over again and let you guys know how it came out.

i want to thank you all for the info! i got it fixed last night!i just have one more question, i have all the wires hooked up and seem to work great! when i turn the key on the fuel gauge goes to full. is this normal when i dont have the sending unit hooked up yet?

No the sender wire is shorted to ground somewhere and that will kill the gauge.

i was hoping that not to be true. well back to the drawing board. im not sure where it could be grounded at!

i was hoping that not to be true. well back to the drawing board. im not sure where it could be grounded at!

I don't know anything about aftermarket wiring harnesses either so we're even LOL
The wire coming from the sender and through a connector behind the right kick panel is dk.blue. That wire continues on to the Signal side of the fuel gauge.
5 volts from a limiter or a regulator goes to the other side of the gauge.

I assume you unhooked at the tank?

How much of the original harness is still there? You still have the kick panel connector going to the rear? Unhook there. You might have the harness pinched, like, under the back seat somewhere

-
Back