Whiplash cam. Your thoughts

-

340Duster247

Reaction score
Been looking at several cams since I need to rebuild my 340.
My 340 duster has rpm air gap, 2800 stall, 2.02 J heads, 3.91 gears. Gonna be bored .30over.
Has anyone used a whiplash cam from hughes.
This cam is on my shortlist

Sounds clips please if any of your guys have some

I used a comp thumpr which is nowhere near as mild as the hughes whiplash but has the same marketing and principle.

the whiplash and thumpr cams are supposed to be good for low compression engines.

I would recommend the XE275HL as a better option, but you will need to have some work done to your heads to allow the extra valve lift without coil bind.

Best thing to do is call hughes they are vary good people. The whiplash cam might not be good for you but they have a cam that will do just what you want. Mark

It would be a good idea to get a clear idea in your head of how you want the car to drive, and make a list of all your vehicle's specs including weight, stall, axle gears, cylinder heads, desired RPM range, Compression ratio etc.

then call up a handful of different cam manufacturers and get them to work with you to come up with a grind that is going to suit your needs.

then you just pick the grind that you think is the best compromise between performance and street manners.

Don't know the compression. The engine isn't built yet. I'm trying to choose a cam for what's listed above. Gonna be a mostly weeked street/strip car. I forgot to mention the heads are port and polished with hardened valve seats and a crane valve train.

I know it's a guilty pleasure but I want this motor to sound pretty bad *** too. Lots of chunky chunk.

if you choose to up the compression, consider the lunati voodoo 60403

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-CT1NHP-k"]1972 Dodge Challenger Rally 340/727 Slapstick 355 Sure Grip -Voodoo Cam - YouTube[/ame]

I'm definately not a fan of buying a cam for sound. It always ends up in disappointment of one form or another...lol.
Because the camshaft is the heart of the engine, and becuase the rest of the car's power train will either work with, or against the engine... We need more info, and as accurate as possible. A modern engine is built to an intended level of performance. How fast do you want to go? Or is it more of a cruiser and you will race it twice a year when the club has a track day kind of thing?

When I was a kid, another boy down the street always wanted to fight me. I avoided the fight and practised until I could get a really mean look on my face. With that mean look I went for the fight and got my butt kicked. I should have taken boxing lessons. All my engines idle crazy AND they all have had boxing lessons.

Another fan of the Lunati 60403 here. I put it in an almost stock 360 and it works very well. I've also installed a couple for friends and this will be my go-to cam for any mild street car. Nice power and very nice street manners. Good sound too, for those who find the sound important. Provides a crisp exhaust sound that lets folks know there's something under the hood. It doesn't have the rolling rumpety rump of the old 70s style cams that the "Whiplash" and "Thumper" try to reproduce but it does sound like it means business. Most importantly it works well and is forgiving in application.

With almost 30 years of street racing under my belt I've come to the realization that the meanest looking, and meanest sounding cars are usually little cause for concern. As one of my partners in crime used to say "the loudest chicken in the yard's always the ****."...lol

I'm definately not a fan of buying a cam for sound. It always ends up in disappointment of one form or another...lol.
Because the camshaft is the heart of the engine, and becuase the rest of the car's power train will either work with, or against the engine... We need more info, and as accurate as possible. A modern engine is built to an intended level of performance. How fast do you want to go? Or is it more of a cruiser and you will race it twice a year when the club has a track day kind of thing?

I totally agree with you. My last duster project many years ago was a 318 bored 30 over. I went with a mild cam that had very lil sound. It performed amazing for a 318. But was very disappointing in traffic or a local car show when it didn't sound like much at all.

When I was a kid, another boy down the street always wanted to fight me. I avoided the fight and practised until I could get a really mean look on my face. With that mean look I went for the fight and got my butt kicked. I should have taken boxing lessons. All my engines idle crazy AND they all have had boxing lessons.

Hahahaha that's awesome.
This is why I'm asking your guys advice. I want a trust worthy cam that can play its part but also sound killer.
No matter what anyone on here says. We all love that lumpy cam sound.
My buddies mild built small block Chevelle runs low 12s and sounds amazing.
We've got a lil competition going on now

Here's a video of it. It's not a mopar but sounds great

[ame]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y403/arejay642/0569B608-1FFB-4913-968B-2F96ABA2164C-830-00000094B3F203FD_zps00898713.mp4[/ame]

I can't really give to many details of the car because I haven't taken The engine to the machine shop yet. Never built a 340 before and don't know what to expect the hp or compression will be with my set up. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now with your guys great advice.

3.91 gears
2800 stall
340 bored 30 over
2.02 port/polished j heads. Hardened seats
Dual plain rpm air gap
Carb no yet purchased. Holly 750 double pumper??
Hydraulic flat tappet cam.....??

Ya, in a lot of years of working around these cars I've found that cam selection is one of the most common mistakes when folks do a build. Those who select their cam based on "my buddy had one of these" or the sound or whatever, often over cam. I've found that a car that is undercammed can still perform relatively well but over cammed engines are a real mess. Cam selection should include all physical aspects of the engine, the entire car and be based on specific goals for the combination. The guys that select a good fit are either very experienced and know what works based on that experience or are wise enough to provide specifications for their car and the desired outcome to good cam grinders who know and understand which cam will fit the entire package and application.

My camshaft shortlist

Lunati voodoo 60404
Hughes whiplash
Comp big mother thumpr
Comp he275hl
Mopar purple 284/484

Add a cam that you think would be a better choice if you don't agree with any of these

This is why I said to call the cam companies.They will ask you all the questions and then give you an answer for what type of cam to use.It is the only to do it. The way you are going about picking a cam is absolutely the wrong way to go about it. Mark
My camshaft shortlist

Lunati voodoo 60404
Hughes whiplash
Comp big mother thumpr
Comp he275hl
Mopar purple 284/484

Add a cam that you think would be a better choice if you don't agree with any of these

Thanks for your impute but isn't this the whole reason for "fabo" forums. To get advice from others who have been there and done it already. Other small block mopar owners exsperices. Obiously I know I can call up every single cam company and take there advice on what cam I should use, but honestly I would rather hear from some of my fellow abody users, then a sales man. And I'm sure if I call comp cams they won't tell me to use a lunati cam. What if a lunati is a better choice, or even a MP purple! This is why I'm asking actual small block mopar owners.

The reason I am telling you this is it is the best advise for you.The people hear aren't building your engine and I am shore there is a lot left out that is important to building your engine. I just saying the best advise for you is to call a cam company.As stated above by mopar the biggest mistake is cam choice and following the people that don't have the setup you have but have the sound you want.Good luck with what you chose. Mark
Thanks for your impute but isn't this the whole reason for "fabo" forums. To get advice from others who have been there and done it already. Other small block mopar owners exsperices. Obiously I know I can call up every single cam company and take there advice on what cam I should use, but honestly I would rather hear from some of my fellow abody users, then a sales man. And I'm sure if I call comp cams they won't tell me to use a lunati cam. What if a lunati is a better choice, or even a MP purple! This is why I'm asking actual small block mopar owners.

The reason I am telling you this is it is the best advise for you.The people hear aren't building your engine and I am shore there is a lot left out that is important to building your engine. I just saying the best advise for you is to call a cam company.As stated above by mopar the biggest mistake is cam choice and following the people that don't have the setup you have but have the sound you want.Good luck with what you chose. Mark

Thanks I see where your coming from but I'm asking others who have built similar 340s to mine. Mild build. Street/strip. I'm not sure what other details I have left out about my build that would differ from someone elses mild application. As I stated earlier I'm not sure of compression or pistons I'll use until I talk to my machine shop/engine builder.
I feel like a broken record player but was just asking for advice from others
If any of these cams worked well for them. And if they had another cam and profile idea that might work better for MY set up.
I'm not gonna purchase a cam based on sound. I know that a big no-no.
When I started the thread I just was curious about these whiplash/thumper cams. And after research throughout the day I'm already turned off by them. Almost gimmicky. But hey, I could be wrong.

Now reasearching lunati voodoo 60404 vs mp purple 284/484.

-
Back