Whiplash cam. Your thoughts

-
The cam in my 340 (yes that's a camaro but its the same cam and engine setup).

302 Found

Hey do you mind telling what exhaust you're running. It has a nice deep tone. Some sound tinny, not nice to my ears.

I think if you simply choose a cam that matches the rest of your build it will sound plenty wicked. I'm biased towards Lunati because I have one and love it but I haven't tried Comp yet so I can't say it's the best. However just looking at specs the Lunatis seem to be more aggressive when comparing cams of the same advertised duration. I would go with the Voodoo 60404... my $.02

So after lots of investigating and taking great advice from you guys I've come up with 2 cams that match great for my set up and are very similar. Is one of these better then the other from your experience?

Comp xe275hl

Duration @50. 231/237
Duration seat to seat 275/287
Valve lift. .525/.525
Lobe cent. 110
In. Cent. 106

Lunati vodoo 60404

[email protected]. 234/242
Duration 276/284
Valve lift. 513/533
Lobe cent. 110
In cent. 106

Careful...You have a pretty mild build...Do not over cam it.
I would stay at or below .500 lift.

Ok thanks. It's just Thoes were the cams. Comp cam "cam quest" said to use. And lunati"s website that cam said bang on with my intake, stall, and gear combo.
I like the details of xe284h. Has less lift then the others
i also wanna take full advantage of my 2800 stall

Ok thanks. It's just Thoes were the cams. Comp cam "cam quest" said to use. And lunati"s website that cam said bang on with my intake, stall, and gear combo.
I like the details of xe284h. Has less lift then the others
i also wanna take full advantage of my 2800 stall

Your on the right track with the xe275 and the voodoo 60404,the xe284 is too big.Lift has virtually nothing to do with your operating range its all about duration and imo you do not want to go over mid 230's on the intake for your application.I have a true 10.1 compression 340 in my duster with well ported heads and an older lunati streetmaster cam (235 @ .050 .507 list 108 ls advanced to a 102 cl) and its a beast.If it were me I would go with the lunati 60404 and never look back,you wont see double digit h.p. gains between any of those cams with similar duration.Another thing to keep in mind on the lift is depending on the rockers your using most of the time you will see a minimum of .025 reduction of lift at the valve due to the mopar geometry so take the advertised numbers as such.

That Lunati,a nice grind.Do the short stick method.Get the short block set,heads flowed,when done.With 3.91's and a 2800 stall,27 inch tire,be lookin at the newer Lunati Voodoos.Seome seriously good grinds there.Wait until,you have a assembled deck highth,and airflow numbers,actual.For fun,learn "quench."

Don't know the compression. The engine isn't built yet. I'm trying to choose a cam for what's listed above. Gonna be a mostly weeked street/strip car. I forgot to mention the heads are port and polished with hardened valve seats and a crane valve train.

I know it's a guilty pleasure but I want this motor to sound pretty bad *** too. Lots of chunky chunk.
IIRC Hughes website states that anything above 8.7 to 1 using the Whiplash might require premium fuel

Isn't the Whiplash a poser cam? It idles like a top fueler but smoothes out at 2500 and sounds like grandma's 318.

-
Back