White smoke floods inside of car when I turn on heater.

-
You know you need to smell it...if it smells like burnt leaves, you got leaves in your heater case....you know their smoke when their fire.
Blower motor resistors that get red hot...just a thought if you don't have coolant loss.

Bar’s leak was developed as a block sealer for new vehicles fresh off the line,i believe gm used it in their new cars.
I think its the least harmful to cooling systems. That being said its only temporary at best. Usually the sealers plug the core and and result is little or no heat.
Better of to go through the frustration and get the core done.

Bar’s leak was developed as a block sealer for new vehicles fresh off the line,i believe gm used it in their new cars.
I think its the least harmful to cooling systems. That being said its only temporary at best. Usually the sealers plug the core and and result is little or no heat.
Better of to go through the frustration and get the core done.

GM uses these:

s-l1000.jpg

They work great. I use them in every engine I put together. You must crush them up! I had an aluminum water pump that would seep coolant where a fitting screwed in because it was poorly machined. ARP thread sealer would NOT stop it. This did.

All agree with J-par's reply. Don't try the witches brew, Silver Seal, Bar's Leak; all of then coat your block and radiator, and slow your heat transfer. The heater cove comes out easily after you remove the hoses, open the box, and take out the screws.

First of all don't ever put that stop leak seal crap in your car whatsoever unless it's like a snowstorm and you're caught in about to die or something and can't call a tow truck. You know that stuff gets all inside your block and everywhere and plugs all kinds of crap up! Have you cleaned the water jackets out of a block that's had that crap put in it too many times? Then you're always wondering why the things overheating after that because it's so plugged up with that crap! Just fix it right the first time and don't put that crap in it! That's Amateur hour. My-2
I agree with Bars Leak plugging stuff but have never had trouble with the Aluma Seal. My reason for suggesting the Aluma seal is replacing a heater core out doors in below zero weather is crazy if he can do something to get by for at least a week and a half until the temps out here get back above zero. From the sounds of his replies he does not have enough experience to get the job done in just a few hours.

Black pepper is supposed to work too. When I rebuilt my 273, I flushed the cooling system with the core plugs out for a hour or so. Most of the core plugs were half covered in foundry sand in the water jackets that was never cleaned out at the foundry. A shot glass full of sealer won't completely plug up your cooling system.

I agree with Bars Leak plugging stuff but have never had trouble with the Aluma Seal. My reason for suggesting the Aluma seal is replacing a heater core out doors in below zero weather is crazy if he can do something to get by for at least a week and a half until the temps out here get back above zero. From the sounds of his replies he does not have enough experience to get the job done in just a few hours.
Take a bus, call a cab, call a friend, rent a car, or in my case just drive one of the other ones.
Question: have you ever cleaned a block after someone was a fan of that crap?? I HAVE - And even though the car was running pig rich, new radiator, high volume water pump, and new(tested) t-stat. Massively overheating problem! I had the freeze plugs out with my pressure washer at full blast.

Okay forget it! What am I saying here? I'm just shooting myself in the foot. Yes go ahead use that crap! Go ahead and pour that stuff in there every time it starts leaking just pour more in there. Then the thing overheats in the years to come and you can't figure it out like the last guy who sold me his motor for 50 bucks. I'll take it home clean it all out and resell it. Listening to the sheep will cost you in the long run.

Last edited:
Take a bus, call a cab, call a friend, rent a car, or in my case just drive one of the other ones.
Question: have you ever cleaned a block after someone was a fan of that crap?? I HAVE - And even though the car was running pig rich, new radiator, high volume water pump, and new(tested) t-stat. Massively overheating problem! I had the freeze plugs out with my pressure washer at full blast.
As I said yes the Bars Leak does plug them up but not the Aluma Seal. I have used it in the past to get by till I could fix the trouble. I have probably built more than double the engines you have. Read the response from the OP he did not even know what a heater hose or core is and right no it is below Zero out this way. Not every member here is a god like you think you are.

Black pepper is supposed to work too. When I rebuilt my 273, I flushed the cooling system with the core plugs out for a hour or so. Most of the core plugs were half covered in foundry sand in the water jackets that was never cleaned out at the foundry. A shot glass full of sealer won't completely plug up your cooling system.
Have you ever heard term "one bad apple"? That stuff is like expanding foum, it collects and expands and plugs.

As I said yes the Bars Leak does plug them up but not the Aluma Seal. I have used it in the past to get by till I could fix the trouble. I have probably built more than double the engines you have. Read the response from the OP he did not even know what a heater hose or core is and right no it is below Zero out this way. Not every member here is a god like you think you are.
Exactly my point Jack wheel don't send this new be down newbie Road and have him putting that crap in his rig instead of fixing it right. And for the record I've only built a couple Motors and my experience with the one someone use this crap in was the worst.

Exactly my point Jack wheel don't send this new be down newbie Road and have him putting that crap in his rig instead of fixing it right. And for the record I've only built a couple Motors and my experience with the one someone use this crap in was the worst.
Listen Mopar God I am trying to help the OP get by until he has time in a week or so to try and fix it. You are the Jack Wheel my friend dont start a pissing match instead of helping the OP. Block me if you dont like what I have to offer.

Listen Mopar God I am trying to help the OP get by until he has time in a week or so to try and fix it. You are the Jack Wheel my friend dont start a pissing match instead of helping the OP. Block me if you dont like what I have to offer.
Okay just to be the bigger man here and stop the name calling that you started with the god stuff, I'll just go ahead and agree with you to put that crap in there and fix it temporarily! Good job I'm not the one who's going to have to deal with it in the future so I can just cyber out some bad advice along with you. Yep just get him down the road like a typical mechanic does don't get it fixed just getting down the road. I'm out you go ahead and help this guy out.

Okay just to be the bigger man here and stop the name calling that you started with the god stuff, I'll just go ahead and agree with you to put that crap in there and fix it temporarily! Good job I'm not the one who's going to have to deal with it in the future so I can just cyber out some bad advice along with you. Yep just get him down the road like a typical mechanic does don't get it fixed just getting down the road. I'm out you go ahead and help this guy out.
You my friend are a real piece of work. How do you get around with a head that big?

I always thought having a couple different opinions to choose from was a good part of the forearm?

I always thought having a couple different opinions to choose from was a good part of the forearm?
Your opinion differs from mine so you run through and click disagree on my opinion and continue with calling me a Jack Wheel. That is more than just offering your opinion.

Your opinion differs from mine so you run through and click disagree on my opinion and continue with calling me a Jack Wheel. That is more than just offering your opinion.
Oh I'm click to disagree even though I do if that will help your feelings? And I only called you jack wheel after you called me God.

They're all fixed no more disagrees I hope everybody feels great and everybody has a good day. I disagree with stop leak. Unsubscribed...

Oh I'm click to disagree even though I do if that will help your feelings? And I only called you jack wheel after you called me God.
No problem here with feelings friend. I offered an opinion to help the OP and you started with how wrong I am.

You win stop leak wins yay for everybody who uses it
It is not about winning it is about trying to help an OP with very limited skills in very harsh temperatures to get by for a week or so. It is only the Aluma Seal I offered not stop leak.

It is not about winning it is about trying to help an OP with very limited skills in very harsh temperatures to get by for a week or so. It is only the Aluma Seal I offered not stop leak.
Okay I'll stay with this a little longer if you want to play nice and stop the name calling. How about this how about let's teach this newbie how to fix his car correctly and how to be proactive in such? I understand he's in a bit of a pinch but most people don't use these old nostalgic cars as their number one and only mode of transportation? So maybe I'll have to read back and find out that this guy is in extreme pinch or a must drive his car no matter what.

Okay, the op got the car for tv/film?

-
Back