White stuff leaking from under voltage regulator?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
Theres a stream of white stuff thats leaked down from under/or from the voltage regulator. It sort of looks like white lithium grease but its hard yet sticky to the touch. This happened somewhere in the past month or less i just noticed it today. what the heck is it? ill get some pictures of it if that helps any.

So does that mean i need a new voltage regulator? Im assuming that the heat sink paste keeps the voltage regulator cool and if its leaking it out it wont do its job anymore causing the voltage regulator to fail?

I couldent get a picture of the trail leaking from the voltage regulator to on top of the frame rail because it was really tight in there and i couldent get a good picture but, some leaked from ontop of the frame rail into my fenderwell so,heres a pic of the mystery spoodge
IMG_1099.jpg

yes it would be best to buy a new one I just replace the one on my 1974 dart swinger cost like 25 bucks from local parts store

It's just the potting resin. I haven't found that it means a failure is about to happen. I've seen those things last years after they started dripping. I've even had new ones do that in the box just sitting on the shelf! What I'd like to know is how you get that stuff off without taking the paint off!

I'v had something that looks like that running down from my back seat from time to time.

I hate to revise an old thread but, If yours starts leaking replace it! mine lasted maybe 1000 miles tops. That back of mine looks like a piece of melted cheese. Its 20 dollars with tax from autozone just replace it. I had charging issues it turned out to be the regulator. if it leaks get a new one. that's just my advice. unless you like being stranded.

Acetone will dissolve that goo, but don't use it unless you're willing to lose a lot of paint too.

I scraped up some of the goo with a painter's 10-in-1 tool and tried soaking blobs of it in different liquids. Vinegar did nothing. Diet Coke did nothing. Acetone completely dissolved it in a few minutes.

Lay a paper towel on the goo, soak it in acetone, and cover it with cling wrap to keep the acetone from evaporating too fast. Then lay a rag on top to keep it all pressed down. Come back a few minutes later and rub off the softened goo (and paint) with the acetone-soaked paper towel. Use a popsicle stick to scrape harder if needed. Repeat as necessary. Repaint if desired.

-
Back