who does rechroming

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good place that does rechroming that is reasonable. I am looking for a place that can do tail light bezels and some trim pieces. They have pitting so thats the issue. I am located south of Cincinnati. Thanks,Bill

Sounds like you may be able to ship the parts ?

That should help

I believe you are going to find restoring pitted pot metal expensive.

I found several near me by Googling "Chrome shop, Wisconsin".
The Chrome Shop in Manasha, WI seems to get solid ratings. I've never used any of them but they are out there if you search.

I found several near me by Googling "Chrome shop, Wisconsin".
The Chrome Shop in Manasha, WI seems to get solid ratings. I've never used any of them but they are out there if you search.
I know they are out there. I am asking if anybody has used some of them with good results. I dont want to take a pig in a poke so to speak and get a bad one.

If the housings are pitting, you are going to pay big bucks to get them restored as stated. The pits are picked with something similar to a dentist's pick to get it all out. From there they are plated with copper and polished down multiple times until the surface is even and flat. Then they are put through the normal plating process. Getting the pitting out is time and labor intensive, so let your wallet be your guide.

I’ve said this numerous times on these forums, the pitting comes from impurities in the metal. Dig them out, fill them in. Reshape and re-chrome them. That does not mean they won’t pit again, they will eventually. The metal is made from scrap, pot metal, anything thrown into the pot.

Most chrome platers that do repair work will not re-chrome repaired pot metal that they did not repair themselves or is repaired by their trusted source.

Best chrome shop here in MN and surrounds is JR Custom Plating up in North Branch. They re-chromed both of Bazza's VG bumpers about 10 years ago (which still look great!), and they've done "show chrome" on two jukeboxes for me. Johnny, the owner, does excellent work, and he stands behind every piece. Can't recommend him and his team enough.

And, yes. They fixed the pitting in several of my jukebox pieces, and although the jukebox "lives" indoors, 5-6 years later it still looks perfect!

I've been letting this play out a little before this suggestion. Cosmichrome is a spray on paint system that does mimic chrome very well. It will still take some prep and time but it might be worth looking into. Look into Angel Gilding-Everything you need to make & modify mirrors too.

There's a few of these replichrome systems out and they're basically silver plating systems. Looks good, not durable and will tarnish like silver if not clear coated, but clearing it also takes a bunch of the shine off.

-
Back