Who else USED TO wrench outside?

-
None heated 2 car garage. 37 in there today. Gotta put my clutch back in and Lenco on my back. 59 years young but this is getting old.

20221215_103541.jpg

I don't mind so much working outside itself as not having smooth level ground and a wide enough area to work. Where I currently live I have a driveway that's about 40' long but barely 8' wide and it's all broken and uneven. I also have a detached garage that is insulated but the lighting sucks and I barely have room to work with all my parts and tools in there. Next place will have 2-car garage minimum.

I did once have my '93 Cherokee crap out on the way to go skiing. I was able to coast into a parking lot and got to work. Thought it was the fuel pump, nope! Then tried crank position sensor, still no go. Finally after a couple hours of blind-firing the parts cannon I somehow figured out it was an ignition problem. Turned out the distributor rotor straight-up broke, D'OH.

I also replaced the entire front axle assembly in that same Jeep in winter in my apartment complex parking lot. Almost got evicted due to that but where else could I do it? "We've been getting complaints from tenants about the safety of your car being on stands like that and auto repairs aren't allowed according to your contract." Idiots. I later realized I could have just pushed it out to the street in front because in Denver it is legal to work on your car on the side of the road. Oh well, not like I'll ever live in an apartment again lol, not for me.

Which one is you???
Oh man. I always do. I dont have a shop. I work in the gravel/ dirt under a tree or EZ-up if I have one that hasn’t been turned into a pretzel due to adverse weather conditions. I do have a slab I layed a couple years ago but I ran outa money to do anything with it. It is nice to at least work on concrete once in a while.

View attachment 1716024701

View attachment 1716024702

View attachment 1716024703

View attachment 1716024704

View attachment 1716024705

View attachment 1716024706

View attachment 1716024707
Talk about your random 'surprise' picture. Suddenly, I want some sunny side up eggs.

Bought a property when I was 19 moved a mobile on and started life. Had a 69 f100 starter puked had to lay in a snow bank to change it. Frozen fingers and a lot of swearing later got the job done. I told myself never again, next summer put up a shop just a shell but a shop nonetheless better than laying in a snow bank.
I was about 22 years old and my daily driver was a ‘73/4spd Cuda that needed a clutch set up done or it was a 4 miles walk to the train station to get a train to work. Laid out in the snow and got it done. It was early January and I was happy it was not a cold winter. Still, working outside below the freeze mark and wind was not making me happy.

My job as a heavy machine inspector/mechanic was outside all year long.

Just finished changing out my leaky 2007 Dodge CTD trans cooler. Got it done beating the rain.

Oh yeah. Had a locust tree with a huge limb 10 feet off the ground. Used a chain fall to pull motors. Had a bob cat front loader and dug a trench the length of my 67 camaro and just wide enough for the tires to not drop in. lined it with burlap sacks with a bit of local hay inside. Drove the car over the trench and proceeded to work on the trans, shift linkage and rear end. Didn't know any better...worked with what I had.

Funny story about workin outside......

When I was 18, I worked for a local truck shop. We worked on all kinda things from half ton pickups to OTR trucks. Some of our clients kept real POS fleets. One morning I got there, it was raining. This tank truck was parked out front in front of one of the bays. It needed a master cylinder and booster, which was located under the truck, just behind the driver's seat. It was a two man job, because the Master cylinder and booster assembly was BIG. No way one guy was gonna lower it out and raise the new one up by himself, so me and the other mechanic, Robert jumped under it. In the pouring rain. My bein a stupid kid, I just did what I was told. It was rainin under the truck damn near as much as it was outside the truck. I asked Robert where all the leaking rain water was comin from. He laughed his *** off and said "rain water"? "WTF kinda truck do you think this is?" You guessed it. It was a septic tank pump truck and that nasty ***** was slam full and leakin like hell. All over us. In the mud and the pouring down rain. We got it done, but dammit, what a nasty job that was. LOL

Last edited:
Worked outside for years when I was a kid. Used to change the clutch in my Fairlane laying on the grass in my parents backyard. You just have to learn to work with what you have or have not if you want to make progress. It has more to do with the will to get something completed than where you're doing it at.

Tom

Funny story about workin outside......

When I was 18, I worked for a local truck shop. We worked on all kinda things from half ton pickups to OTR trucks. Some of our clients kept real POS fleets. One morning I got there, it was raining. This tank truck was parked out front in front of one of the bays. It needed a master cylinder and booster, which was located under the truck, just behind the driver's seat. It was a two man job, because the Master cylinder and booster assembly was BIG. No way one guy was gonna lower it out and raise the new one up by himself, so me and the other mechanic, Robert jumped under it. In the pouring rain. My bein a stupid kid, I just did what I was told. It was rainin under the truck damn near as much as it was outside the truck. I asked Robert where all the leaking rain water was comin from. He laughed his *** off and said "rain water"? "WTF kinda truck do you think this is?" You guessed it. It was a septic tank pump truck and that nasty ***** was slam full and leakin like hell. All over us. In the mud and the pouring down rain. We got it done, but dammit, what a nasty job that was. LOL
drove a trash truck for a while,..was toooo nasty for me!! no way id drive a septic truck!!

Pulled many engines off of tree limbs. Switched transmissions in parking lots. Layed on my back in snow at 3am to switch converters. It was crazy, but I was young and tough. Loved every minute of it. Now the car sits tell I feel like fixing it. And that's with a heated garage. Back then it was my transpotation.

Recently I bought a used 2009 KENWORTH T800 at wallwork. It is in good condition in spite of its age. When I was younger I used to wrench outside a lot, but now I’m too old and the car is too big, so I will use the wallwork service center. Everything changes.

I've worked outside my whole life. As long as it's not too windy or raining, I usually try and do something to my cars just about every day.
I get some exercise, fresh air and a sense of accomplishment for a job well done.

-
Back