Who else's car started out as a LOW option car?

-

AlaskaJeff

Reaction score
I've rarely seen a fender tag with such few options as mine. Manual 4 drum brakes, manual steering, bench seat, column shift, no chrome moldings, base model. I'm sure there are others around, but most cars like mine were usually NOT considered desirable, driven hard and ended up in the scrap heap. We all can't have H Code 340 4 speed cars. :poke: But I'm OK with what I have. It gives me the freedom to do whatever I want without worrying about molesting an original car.
FenderTag3.jpg

V: Car Line: Valiant / Duster

L: Price Class: Low

29: Body Style: 2 Door Sports Hardtop

G: Engine: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL

0: Model Year: 1970

B: Assembly Plant: Hamtramck, MI, USA

426242: Production Sequence Number

E44: 318 CID 2-barrel V8, 230hp

D31: Light Duty 904 Auto Trans.

EB5: Paint Code: Blue Fire Irid (Plymouth)

L: Trim - Low

2: Vinyl Bench Seat

B7: Dark Blue

EB7: Upper Door Frame: Jamaica Blue Irid (Plymouth)

713: Build Date: July 13

195564:
Order Number

EB5: Roof Type OR Color: Blue Fire Irid (Plymouth)

R11: Music Master Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)

Y05: Build to USA Specs

EN2: End of Codes, Assembly Line 2

Last edited:
My '74 Duster. Not as quite as bare as @AlaskaJeff 's, but some of that is stuff that was added just because it was a '74- N95 for emissions, the "U" they didn't put on the tag in '70, the 000, that sort of thing.

IMG_0799.JPG

VL29: Plymouth Valiant,Duster Low, 2 Door Sports Hardtop
C4G: 225 105HP(net) 1-1BBL 6 CYL, 1974, St. Louis, MO, USA
E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
KY4: Golden Fawn Exterior Color
D2Y3: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bench Seat, Gold
000: Full Door Panels
604: Build Date: June 04
KY4: Golden Fawn Top Color
U: USA Specifications
B43: Manual Brakes
G52: Driver side chrome remote mirror
N95: Emissions Control
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
END: End of Sales Codes

All in all a pretty basic /6 auto on the column grandma car. Which made it a lot easier to turn it into a '71 340 Demon tribute with a T56.
img_2528-copy-jpeg.jpg

I think we are kind of comparing apples to oranges based on year.

Some options might be part of a single code.

Like the GT trim package or the Ralley suspension package.

Last edited:
I think we are kind of comparing apples to oranges based on year.

Some options might be part of a single code.

Like the GT trim package or the Ralley suspension package.
Which I have NO such trim or suspension packages....:( OR any package code for that matter.

Mine was ordered with a heater and radio…..everything else was standard like the 170 & 3-speed….all those are gone now….even has just plain tan paint :D

628CCCAC-B817-4B86-BDA4-FFCFFBBADBA2.jpeg

I have no pictures but once had a 71 GTX 440/833/Dana 60. It had a heater. No radio. Standard o/s mirror. Optioned with a bench seat. Drum brakes and manual steering. That was about it. Was as plain as a base line Satellite.

64 Fury 2dt ht, power steering and brakes, O-K not so unusual but slant 6 radio delete and that’s all

Nope, my Charger R/T S.E. is loaded. 440, A/C, power disc brakes, power steering with cooler, 26" Rad, cruise control, S.E. package, , leather buckets seats, console, wood grain steering wheel, 6 way driver seat, power windows, rear defrost, AM 8 track, California emissions, front bumperettes, hood black out, hood pins, black vinyl top, black stripe, wheel lip moldings, rocker moldings, door edge guards moldings, luggage rack (now removed but up in attic), original a hub cap car (now with Rallye wheels). And, I am sure a few that I am missing. Still unrestored. I have owned over 32 years and it has 232,000+ miles on it. Yes, I drive my cars.

20170903_161436.jpg

1175097-DSC00006.jpg

20150815_185306.jpg

20150809_200311.jpg

73 Satellite "Custom" package car RL21G

I believe the only options are AC and body side molding.

No carpet
No day/night mirror
50 cent piece sized non-remote door mirror
No drip rail molding
No belt molding
No wheel molding
Single note horn
No clock
No ignition key light
No glove box light

I believe PDB was standard on that model for that year.
I believe the 318 was standard but could be optioned down to a 225.
Not sure if AM radio was standard in 73.

Blank canvass.

Mine was ordered with a heater and radio…..everything else was standard like the 170 & 3-speed….all those are gone now….even has just plain tan paint :D

View attachment 1716024617
When you gonna paint that junk? Or are you gonna leave it with the Super Stock Valiant look? Cool either way.

I've rarely seen a fender tag with such few options as mine. I'm sure they are around, but most cars like mine were usually NOT considered desirable and were driven hard and ended up in the scrap heap. We all can't have H Code 340 4 speed cars. :poke: But I'm OK with what I have. It gives me the freedom to do whatever I want without worrying about molesting an original car.
View attachment 1716024572
V: Car Line: Valiant / Duster

L: Price Class: Low

29: Body Style: 2 Door Sports Hardtop

G: Engine: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL

0: Model Year: 1970

B: Assembly Plant: Hamtramck, MI, USA

426242: Production Sequence Number

E44: 318 CID 2-barrel V8, 230hp

D31: Light Duty 904 Auto Trans.

EB5: Paint Code: Blue Fire Irid (Plymouth)

L: Trim - Low

2: Vinyl Bench Seat

B7: Dark Blue

EB7: Upper Door Frame: Jamaica Blue Irid (Plymouth)

713: Build Date: July 13

195564:
Order Number

EB5: Roof Type OR Color: Blue Fire Irid (Plymouth)

R11: Music Master Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)

Y05: Build to USA Specs

EN2: End of Codes, Assembly Line 2

Yours has the stupid-rare engine bay blackout option. Don't move, I'm calling Gaven Golier right this second.

I'll have to look at my Valiant next chance I get. FE5 Rallye Red FOUR DOOR with the only options being maybe power steering and an automatic. I can't remember if a radio was factory or not. Last time I read the tags a Republican was in office and we had a ground war in Iraq, and the decoders then didn't have much because it was a '75. It's a 318 car so I guess that counts.

I've been slowly working on a 440 6-pack for it.

My first 65 was originally a 273-2, 3sp auto, 9" brakes no radio (had a delete plate) but it did have a heater and a manual driver side mirror and back up lights. Belts were in there but not in the back. Im not sure if you could get a heater delete in 65 or no lap belts...?

I don't have a pic of the fender tag for my '70 Duster handy but years ago I did go through the build sheet.

318 V8
904 auto trans
A/C
Power steering
Front disc brakes
AM Radio (if that's not standard?)
CA-mandated ECS emissions junk (Cali car)

That's about it. Manual brakes, no console (column shift), standard suspension, 7 1/4" open rear with 2.76 gears, no passenger side mirror, manual foot-pump windshield washer, 2-speed wipers.

I'd say it's "medium-optioned"? The radio was gone when I got the car and one of the first things I did was gut the non-functioning A/C compressor and lines. Currently running a 450-hp 360 with a supposedly rebuilt (according to guy I bought it from) 904 and homemade shift kit (removed some check balls and enlarged some holes in VB separator plate). Upgraded the K-H front discs to '73-up BBP ones but still manual.

That tired 318 was a pig at 8000'+ elevation where I lived when I first got the car, can't imagine a slant-6. Made it easier to swap to a 360 as well already having a V8 K-member.

I don't have a pic of the fender tag for my '70 Duster handy but years ago I did go through the build sheet.

318 V8
904 auto trans
A/C
Power steering
Front disc brakes
AM Radio (if that's not standard?)
CA-mandated ECS emissions junk (Cali car)

That's about it. Manual brakes, no console (column shift), standard suspension, 7 1/4" open rear with 2.76 gears, no passenger side mirror, manual foot-pump windshield washer, 2-speed wipers.

I'd say it's "medium-optioned"? The radio was gone when I got the car and one of the first things I did was gut the non-functioning A/C compressor and lines. Currently running a 450-hp 360 with a supposedly rebuilt (according to guy I bought it from) 904 and homemade shift kit (removed some check balls and enlarged some holes in VB separator plate). Upgraded the K-H front discs to '73-up BBP ones but still manual.

That tired 318 was a pig at 8000'+ elevation where I lived when I first got the car, can't imagine a slant-6. Made it easier to swap to a 360 as well already having a V8 K-member.

Despite being a few model years apart, outr cars seem to have been optioned identically (aside from the California emissions stuff). IIRC, unless something changed between '70 and '73, yours will still coded with an "L"/"low price class" VIN. I think your "medium" descriptor does make sense though.

69 340S. Fatback, 4 speed. base interior, slow steering, no power anything, no limited slip, no light group, but it has heater and am-radio!

-
Back