Who has a back up generator (permanent install)

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We are getting one for the Mother in law who is 81 and still lives outside of town on the farm. I see a lot more permanent ones being installed on newer properties and acreages. We are looking at Generac because of 2 local dealer/installers. I also see Kohler and Onan but those 2 brands don't have a very solid dealer network in her area and I have found service and warranty coverage is quite important. What are you running and how has it been?

Hey Mike... don't have one "yet" at this house. My Dad had one at his place. I had an estimate done for a 22k propane whole house with distro switch box was for about 10k installed. My Dad loved his Generac unit. Hooked into the natural gas line. Test start and run (automatically) every Sunday. Almost zeo hiccup when power dropped and the generator kicked in. You'd never know you were on generator power. Very quiet even right outside the window.

Hey Mike... don't have one "yet" at this house. My Dad had one at his place. I had an estimate done for a 22k propane whole house with distro switch box was for about 10k installed. My Dad loved his Generac unit. Hooked into the natural gas line. Test start and run (automatically) every Sunday. Almost zeo hiccup when power dropped and the generator kicked in. You'd never know you were on generator power. Very quiet even right outside the window.
Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.

I have a Generac, natural gas whole house generator 22-24k . It tests itself every other week. While I have not used it yet, it is quiet and ready to go. With natural gas, we should be good.

My neighbor has a Generac system, and I'm not going to lie, I'm jealous.
I've looked into it and they're at least 12 to 18 months out on installs.
My neighbor's system goes into auto test once a week. I've never heard it run at the house, so it's quiet.
His only ***** (if you can call it that) is that he had to have the auto test changed to a weekday because when it switches over, the cable router is sensitive enough it knocks his internet out and he would miss about 10 mins of football.

My neighbor's system goes into auto test once a week. I've never heard it run at the house, so it's quiet.
His only ***** (if you can call it that) is that he had to have the auto test changed to a weekday because when it switches over, the cable router is sensitive enough it knocks his internet out and he would miss about 10 mins of football.
It took me 10 months to get mine and it was installed in February of this year.

It took me 10 months to get mine and it was installed in February of this year.
Crazy isn't it?
I'm hoping the world gets back on kilter and this isn't a problem anymore.
As bad as it sounds, the area I live in had a F-4 tornado destroy the area. Duke Energy had to completely rebuild the system. We have had no issues with power outages since. (knock on wood!)

I have had a whole house Generac for about 5 years now. It has worked flawlessly. We have the people who installed it come out once a year to service and check it. I would HIGHLY recommend it. Mine runs off of natural gas.

That is odd. I have a Generac, and my internet has never been affected. I have AT&T Fiber optic internet that enters the house on a different side than the generator.

We got a Kohler 3 years ago (natural gas) after much research and being turned off by the local Generac rep. It self-tests weekly and turns on within a couple seconds of an outage. It can run everything except my shop ...

$22k for a generator? That’s a lot of hotel room nights…..

There are less expensive options if you go with select circuits. Power meter yoke and a switch box connector for a 10Kw that runs lights ... HVAC is the big draw. Still probably looking at a $8k investment

$22k for a generator? That’s a lot of hotel room nights…..
One of the reasons I have a generator (gas powered plug in type) is because of when we have power outages, almost always during spring storms

Know what else we have then?
Run off from 4 months of snow that is now melting

Which means if my sump pumps don't run, my basement will flood, so that alone is enough to get the genny hooked up

Of course, I got about 750 in it l, not 22K

Generac here @toolmanmike
16kw runs complete house and shop on natural gas with monthly tests.
Best investment ever to property wouldn't be without it.

Last edited:
Generac here @toolmanmike
16k runs complete house and shop on propane with monthly tests.
Best investment ever to property wouldn't be without it.

... except during an extended emergency when you can't find gas for a portable and your propane runs empty after 3 days ... and it's going to be another 2+ weeks for your propane delivery.

Generac 22K here. I live in a heavily wooded area and often lose power from downed trees. The generator works great, has been a real nice thing to have. Ours runs on propane from a 1,000 gal. underground tank which also heats my garage. Natural gas requires more volume so it goes quicker. The unit auto tests biweekly. When it's running we try to keep unnecessary things turned off.

Between the generator and heat, I've only filled my propane tank once in three years and it wasn't even necessary. I called the fuel company last August just becuase I figured it was getting low. I didn't look at the gauge which was dumb because it was still 40% full from my last fill up which was in February of 2019. We've had the generator on for some long stretches during that time too. I know for sure it was on for 24 hrs.+ on at least three separate occasions.

My neighbor has one and loves it but I’m sorry I don’t know the manufacture. It’s programmed to start every Sunday afternoon. I can hear it if I’m outside from 100 feet away but just barely. We are pretty lucky in the country where I live and usually only lose power about three times a year max and it’s usually for 6 hours or less. She did have trouble this year at the start of our longest (5 days) power outage. It wouldn’t start so she called a repairman and he came out at 10:30pm and added oil. That was expensive. So check your oil. I ran my 2000 watt Honda during that one to run my refrigerator, tv, cable, a light or two, Cpap, and microwave when needed. I had cords running everywhere. Lol

-
Back