Who has a detailed file on their projects?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I used to be more organized.
I kept service records, receipts and notes on almost everything.
Now? Not so much.
I do keep downloaded tech articles. Magazine reprints. catalogs to retain part numbers and various tech tips.
A buddy of mine that is otherwise a convoluted mess, has a binder with almost every modification he has done well drawn and detailed to his Challenger.
I do have notebooks with handwritten text. I've written about every nut, bolt or screw that I have touched. Engine builds, tuning, brakes, suspension... everything. This helps keep me from trying stuff that didn't work before. It also serves as a blueprint as to what actually has worked in the past.
What about you guys/gals ?

I have some notes and a To Do List started when I bought it in 1991 with most everything crossed off now. hundreds of photos -- digital and even an album on real film -- document every sub assembly's restoration. There's also a receipt folder that's about six inches thick that accompanies the list. It petrifies me and will never be added up. Ever. :mob:

Last edited:
I have images filed in my computer to record and reference of my project. I have saved all my receipts for parts, machining, body and paint materials. One day I will become brave and add them up.

I document everything that happens to the car.

if I swap in an engine or major part from a parts vehicle, then I add a photo of the parts car and complete vin of the donor vehicle to the file of the car I am working on.

I try to keep track of what parts are coming from where and where they are going since I have 5 cars.

Pictures and Excel spreadsheets can paint a historical description of my cars.

I don't file NEAR enough stuff. I really need to buy a 3 ring binder, slip sheets and paper to basically make a scrapbook of anything and everything I do to my car! Not sure I want to keep all the receipts tho as that could be added up by the wife :eek: lol

I have a binder with receipts and other paper stuff. Everything else is saved digitally in "the cloud" so I can always reach it on my phone or any computer with internet connection. Articles and stuff gets bookmarked and organized and is also saved in the cloud. The same with photos. Icloud and Google drive is free and when you learn it it is a great service to have at hand. I use it all the time and also at work. It keeps me organized.

Now? Not so much.
I do keep downloaded tech articles. Magazine reprints. catalogs to retain part numbers and various tech tips.
A buddy of mine that is otherwise a convoluted mess, has a binder with almost every modification he has done well drawn and detailed to his Challenger.
I do have notebooks with handwritten text. I've written about every nut, bolt or screw that I have touched. Engine builds, tuning, brakes, suspension... everything. This helps keep me from trying stuff that didn't work before. It also serves as a blueprint as to what actually has worked in the past.
Please keep the paper records, K D... Always track analog, computers aren't the greatest.... Good choice...

Now? Not so much.
I've got a project book/binder going with all receipts and such. eventually, I'll print off all the pics of the build and turn it more to a scrap book to take to shows with.

I have pictures of everything from the day I drove to Michigan to pick the car up to the stripped down state it is today. I do have receipts, but not organized very well. I have a good idea of how much I have paid for everything, but it really doesn't matter. Once I have finished and am able to drive and enjoy my 65 Formula S, maybe I will be more concerned with actual numbers and perhaps download the pictures for a scrap book.

I have pictures of everything from the day I drove to Michigan to pick the car up to the stripped down state it is today. I do have receipts, but not organized very well. I have a good idea of how much I have paid for everything, but it really doesn't matter. Once I have finished and am able to drive and enjoy my 65 Formula S, maybe I will be more concerned with actual numbers and perhaps download the pictures for a scrap book.
oh i dont care to know what i paid for everything, its more so I don't forget what all parts i put in the car lol

Only sometimes do I feel a bit reckless for spending all the money on the car. I'm jealous of you guys who gets free shipping and whatnot in the US. It cost me a fortune to import everything over to Sweden. But then again, it makes me happy to work on the car (most of the time) and I like that almost as much as driving it. It's a nice outlet from day to day grind.

I have binders for Mopar, Ford and Chevrolet with hand picked good articles. Each car I have has it's own file that I just deposit anything that is for that car. Don't ask how many I have... I have other files for each engine that I have, files for brakes, fuel, front suspension, rear suspension, transmissions, ignition, you get the Idea. These files take up the whole bottom drawer in the file cabinet. Not as good with pictures. I have Racing manuals from Chrysler and Chevrolet. Catalogs and Factory service and parts manuals. After 45 years of hot rodding and modifying A bodies, it comes in handy since I cannot remember what I did 40 years ago. Yes, I have had some cars that long. I also have books with engineering drawings of parts to make or dimensions of parts, like rear housings, OEM rims. Engine books have component weights, blueprint dimensions, cam cards, Head and block casting numbers etc. Other books are an inventory of what I have.

I started out with a very detailed set of Pics and receipts... Have the pics but quit keeping all but the higher dollar item receipts in a binder. Quit adding it up when I saw I was close to what I thought I was going to spend total and am not even close to being done...Don't want to know and Wife quit asking what things cost. I still take pics but it's more just for my memory than anything else. I have kinda lost interest in the car but it gives me something to do.

I understand on the price of parts. My wife somehow got the impression that you guys are really generous and just send me free parts because you don't need them anymore

I have notes in a couple notebooks. Mostly random. Some stuff I did. Some plans, parts used, price comparison shopping around. Also have a box full of papers. Receipts, pieces of parts boxes with numbers etc. I figure when the car is done I might organize the whole mess and estimate what it cost.
Also took a lot of photos and did my build thread as a log of work done. I did lose a bunch of pics early on that were on a phone that died.:BangHead:

I keep an excell file, I know every dime I have in my cars.
I also keep every receipt, to verify.
Years ago a friend had his old pos ranger totaled by another driver.
The guys insurance company was not even offering much above scrap price, he produced receipts even for oil changes, for way more than the pos ford was worth.
The insurance co paid up.

I keep an excell file, I know every dime I have in my cars.
I also keep every receipt, to verify.
Years ago a friend had his old pos ranger totaled by another driver.
The guys insurance company was not even offering much above scrap price, he produced receipts even for oil changes, for way more than the pos ford was worth.
The insurance co paid up.
That is a really good idea with the Excell file. Do you have it set so it calculates the total cost too? I'm gonna do one myself. Thanks!

I keep a file with receipts, notes & such. It's about 2" thick now.

Kind of amazing how many times I've had to refer to it....

I also have pictures of the title, VIN tag & fender tag.

I keep a detailed photo album from start to completion on all my builds. Similar to my build thread photos but more detailed. I also keep all receipts for all money spent but do not put it on a spreadsheet. Afraid to know the total I guess. I also print out all tech articles and email correspondence I have on the tech side as well as the owners manuals for all the aftermarket items I purchase. All that goes into a 3 ring binder tabbed so all relevant items are together.
The one I have for my Comet is pretty interesting to look at 10 years later and of course I am still building the Barracuda. I happen to have all the delivery papers on the Barracuda including original dealer paperwork and owner/operator booklets and the certicard holder, vin tag and fender tag.
That is all nice but I am getting anxious to finish the car and just drive it.

-
Back