who has the fastest 318 ?! ( OUT ) 410 stroker ( IN! )

-
Oh yeah, one of the fun parts of the build is getting the parts!
It's parts x -mas! Just got an exhaust pcv kit. Has anyone else
had success or failure with that kind of system?

I think its good that your not expecting tens out of the gate,its good to have a realistic expectation-or none at all when you hit the strip or 90% of the time you go home bummed out the first time down the track.I know that shop as larsen and king and they can do some nice work,I ported a set of amc heads for one of their customers a few years back,nice guys.Is oregon cam doing your regrind?.

If a "stock stroke" 318 is beating a "stroked 340/360" the 340/360 is NOT built right!!!

I think its good that your not expecting tens out of the gate,its good to have a realistic expectation-or none at all when you hit the strip or 90% of the time you go home bummed out the first time down the track.I know that shop as larsen and king and they can do some nice work,I ported a set of amc heads for one of their customers a few years back,nice guys.Is oregon cam doing your regrind?.

Yes , Larsen & king. Ted is helping me and yes he has directed to Ken at oregon cam. Both very nice and helpful! yes I'm not one to set myself up for disappointment thinking tens and all that stuff I really don't want it it's too expensive once you go over 11. 5. now that I'm older I recognize the problem that I had when I built my 72 duster more of a show car then I go car that I did it too fast. when I look back, building it was the fun part so I'm trying to take it a little slower got it together last year, this year a little bit better of a motor, next year a little bit better top end on the motor even the year after that start working on a better suspension setup. that's the fun part to me building it.I really had full intentions of doing the build myself after a little machine work and buying the parts but I'm just spending a little too much money for experimentation at this time. it's been a long time since our shop not to say I don't think I could do it but that's what I'm going to save the 318 for and that's why I'm kind of on the fence about taking that good 284 484 cam and having it reground. for the price I may just buy a cam and lifters and save it for the 318. it worked well in it, and then I can really play with that motor and do a home garage build and see what happens from it. it's pretty easy to take the two motors out and switch.

If a "stock stroke" 318 is beating a "stroked 340/360" the 340/360 is NOT built right!!!

I would have to agree. 1+1 still = 2 ? I've heard of even destroking engines for certain purposes.
but all things being equal(car, driver, transmission, suspension, place, time, excetra excetra).
I would like someone to explain to me how that adds up?

Lead69 - I'm interested still in that 525 lift cam because that's the exact same respect that Ted was talking about at the machine shop but he also cautioned me about buying a used cam. if it's okay I will PM you and we can talk about this on the phone? (being not so far away from each other)

I'm not sure what fuel pump to use? Got a cheap $20 mechanical that I used on the 318 dual quad tunnel ram with 2 - 600 cfm edelbrocks- seem to work? Same setup on 410 stroker with approximately a mild 525 lift cam- not sure if the $20 mechanical will work well?

If you're still looking at getting a high lift regrind done on your camshaft, be aware that adding lift can only be achieved by removing material from the base circle diameter.

If the material removed is substantial you will need to compensate with longer pushrods, the process of checking the required length and getting them made is usually more tedious and expensive than any savings the regrind afforded you in the first place.

Something to think about.

If you're still looking at getting a high lift regrind done on your camshaft, be aware that adding lift can only be achieved by removing material from the base circle diameter.

If the material removed is substantial you will need to compensate with longer pushrods, the process of checking the required length and getting them made is usually more tedious and expensive than any savings the regrind afforded you in the first place.

Something to think about.

You know i was thinking the same thing. Witch is making me want a new one. The old cam - which wasn't very old, I would have to give up to be reground worked well for the 318 which I plan to rebuild. Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

I'm not sure what fuel pump to use? Got a cheap $20 mechanical that I used on the 318 dual quad tunnel ram with 2 - 600 cfm edelbrocks- seem to work? Same setup on 410 stroker with approximately a mild 525 lift cam- not sure if the $20 mechanical will work well?

well let me ask another question ? I've been using one of those little Moroso motors to run the water pump and fan which I'm going to stop that and just have it run the water pump with electric fans. But I found a smaller drive gear that would fit on the front of the water pump instead of the plastic one that they give me with the kit, it's a bit smaller I would say a third smaller. So with this all said the Moroso I think, claimed like 26 for 2700 rpms. I think this would ramp it up to probably about 3700 rpms. I was wondering if this would help to cooling or just help blow the water pump out that much faster. Of course the car is mostly for quarter mile but I do drive around for fun here and there and put three or four hundred miles on it each summer. What are your thoughts? Actually I'm both questions?

is it one of those electric water pumps with the separate motor mounted to the side of the motor?

If it is, I would be seriously hesitant about trying to put more work on it's plate. Increasing the rpm of the pump is going to put more load on the electric motor driving it and IF that motor isn't designed for that then it's going to overheat and fail prematurely.

To be honest, The motors on those are tiny for what they are expected to do. They look very similar to the ones in my sister's sewing machine which was made in the 60's! Personally, I don't think I would be putting my faith in something like that to take care of my car's cooling system.

There are some other EWP units available that I would try, but they are pricey. and it's hard to go past the reliability and performance of a mechanical pump with a set of underdrive pulleys.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. :burnout:

is it one of those electric water pumps with the separate motor mounted to the side of the motor?

If it is, I would be seriously hesitant about trying to put more work on it's plate. Increasing the rpm of the pump is going to put more load on the electric motor driving it and IF that motor isn't designed for that then it's going to overheat and fail prematurely.

To be honest, The motors on those are tiny for what they are expected to do. They look very similar to the ones in my sister's sewing machine which was made in the 60's! Personally, I don't think I would be putting my faith in something like that to take care of my car's cooling system.

There are some other EWP units available that I would try, but they are pricey. and it's hard to go past the reliability and performance of a mechanical pump with a set of underdrive pulleys.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. :burnout:
this last year I used it to run the water pump and the fan with the normal gear it seem to do fine for a while but when I was drag racing it it was overheating and blowing the fuse which I attributed to it being poorly mounted next to the overflow or bypass hose for the radiator. it wouldn't mount where they wanted it to mount because the new alternator belt location once you took it off the water pump was obstructive.now that I have a small shop small welder and a few things to actually fabricate I'll make a much better then stock bracket for that motor and keep it away from harmful heat. I do believe the motors fairly sufficient its seems to be bigger than one that would actually connect to one of those really expensive water pumps? And I do appreciate your opinion as thats what this forum is mostly good for is collecting those opinions on your questions to help formulate A informed decision from experience. I haven't been posting much lately I'm not sure if I'm fitting in with this little internet click. But again I thank you for your thoughts.

this last year I used it to run the water pump and the fan with the normal gear it seem to do fine for a while but when I was drag racing it it was overheating and blowing the fuse which I attributed to it being poorly mounted next to the overflow or bypass hose for the radiator. it wouldn't mount where they wanted it to mount because the new alternator belt location once you took it off the water pump was obstructive.now that I have a small shop small welder and a few things to actually fabricate I'll make a much better then stock bracket for that motor and keep it away from harmful heat. I do believe the motors fairly sufficient its seems to be bigger than one that would actually connect to one of those really expensive water pumps? And I do appreciate your opinion as thats what this forum is mostly good for is collecting those opinions on your questions to help formulate A informed decision from experience. I haven't been posting much lately I'm not sure if I'm fitting in with this little internet click. But again I thank you for your thoughts.

I use one of those Moroso electric water pump motors, works great. I even use it driving around town...but I always keep my stock pulley and a belt (and a 1/2" wrench) with me just in case it dies.

I used one of those Moroso belt driven water pumps for five or six years on my Demon and drove it a 1000 or so miles a year with no issues. I had a electric fan on the radiator that I would turn on only when I was in town in red light traffic. I also was running one of those $200.00 radiators from Summit.

I use one of those Moroso electric water pump motors, works great. I even use it driving around town...but I always keep my stock pulley and a belt (and a 1/2" wrench) with me just in case it dies.

I also keep the pulley and other stuff, and the last time at the track the little motor keep over heating (I believe to close to the bypass hose) and blowing the fuse. I was glad to have my mechanical stuff on hand to " get home"!

410 stroker, where will my clearance problems be? Scat I-beam Conecting rods supposed to clear. Will stock windage tray need spacing? I've heard I may have to dimple the oil pump pickup and maybe even the oilpan? Does this sound right? Anything else?

Easy, Easy! nobody is hating! We are having just as much fun as you are, and I hope the best for you and your project. :) You are entitled to your opinion and your project, but..... but..... but...... so are we! Not against strokers at all, not at all. Build one, and I hope you go fast!!!! See if you can get your stroker to run as fast as Spareparts stock stroke 318!!!!! :D
I love these old threads! Yeah I've went faster than his claimed 11.7:D

I love these old threads! Yeah I've went faster than his claimed 11.7:D
Spareparts didn't go 11.7's. He was deep deep deep into 10's. Your confused again, you are thinking of the 318 Duster that raced in the small block race.
This is the guy that went 11.7's and, your 410 on aviation fuel against a pump gas 318 for a whopping .2 tenths????? LOL
318 time slip

WOULD YOU GET A FACT STRAIGHT ONCE!!!!!! Good Lord in Heaven have mercy on me!!!!

Last edited:
I remember Spareparts , he was a grudge racer from the mid west. we never could get it setup.
he was deep deep in the 10's.

I remember Spareparts , he was a grudge racer from the mid west. we never could get it setup.
he was deep deep in the 10's.
yes, he raced for 300 bucks a shot. turbo fox bodies, whatever, he didn't care. He sold that 318, and is building something bigger. He had a '68 block from a dodge truck and it had a forged crank

LOL.... Jaw Par dug out this old thread to say he ran as fast as Spareparts 11.7... LOL :D Jaw Par's best 11.5 with 410 on aviation fuel would've been Dusted by Spareparts on the 150 shot... lol

Last edited:
Wasn't Spareparts and his brother as I recall

yes, he raced for 300 bucks a shot. turbo fox bodies, whatever, he didn't care. He sold that 318, and is building something bigger. He had a '68 block from a dodge truck and it had a forged crank

LOL.... Jaw Par dug out this old thread to say he ran as fast as Spareparts 11.7... LOL :D Jaw Par's best 11.5 with 410 on aviation fuel would've been Dusted by Spareparts on the 150 shot... lol
More internet word Twisters...and word in mouthing... Do you ever get tired of getting corrected?
First and foremost "DON'T FLATTER YOUR SELF!" I have lost a lot of my old photos and was copying to get some back and enjoying how nice I was until my skin had to get thicker or leave or hide in the shadows like most.
Second I'm just enjoying the old thread and seen post #28 where he was talking about 11.7? I just said I've been quicker then that since 2014. Have you in your Mopar since? You say aviation fuel like it's something more than 8 points more than what I can buy at the pump? LOL
Are you really going to say that if I had the same 150 shot on my 410 Stroker that it would do the same as a 150 shot on a 318?
what's funny if you read back on your comments from 5 years ago I was telling you the same thing... because you were doing the same thing talk about how somebody else's car can beat mine??
I'm going to bed so I'll have to find out what facts you twisted in the morning.
Good night and sweet dreams..

^^^^^^^
:rofl:post 28 …. 11.7's... LOL .. was for some 360 parts he had 4 sale. Nothing to do with the stock stroke 318 mentioned in my post 36 that you just quoted. Never seen a person mix and match quotes and facts and be so confused so much... LOL

nice try..... 5 years later :D

Last edited:
^^^^^^^
:rofl:post 28 …. 11.7's... LOL .. was for some 360 parts he had 4 sale. Nothing to do with the stock stroke 318 mentioned in my post 36 that you just quoted. Never seen a person mix and match quotes and facts and be so confused so much... LOL

nice try..... 5 years later :D
Another 318 whirlwind my friend's car is faster than your car LOL I don't know how you get away with this....

-
Back