who has the fastest 318 ?!!!

-
[ame]http://youtu.be/e8auJWiuSqw[/ame]

Here's my 73 Scamp running a 318 (.060 over) full weight street car, street legal tires on 5.5 inch rallye wheels. with a 100 shot of N2O

I have 340"s and keep a couple of 318's around just in case. I can direct swap either or to keep the car running. I did run a 318 in my dart with a 3: 91 rear and it was fine on the street . people used to say that it sounded and ran good and thought it was a 340 because of the badges on the scoops. Yea, I have no problem with the 318. They used to be a dime a dozen too.

Now I'm on the fence about how I'm going to go about the build?
Let the machine shop do everything? $$$
Let the machine shop just machine?
90% STRIP
please 318 ONLY!

There's a book by Larry Sheppard "How to Hot Rod Small Block Mopar Engines" It' kind of dated, but It has performance build recipes with HP ratings etc. With different head /cam combinations. I would think it still applies today. The only advances would be head/ cam /induction technology. You may want to check it out. As far as fastest 318, I would want to know what heads/cam/induction system was used. I would like to see how fast a 318 would go with 318 heads on it etc. didn't Mopar have HP 318 heads in the 80's?

just saw a 318 powered 71 duster run a 11.70s at 113 last week end at Norwalk ohio car is heavy at 3450 pounds

There's a book by Larry Sheppard "How to Hot Rod Small Block Mopar Engines" It' kind of dated, but It has performance build recipes with HP ratings etc. With different head /cam combinations. I would think it still applies today. The only advances would be head/ cam /induction technology. You may want to check it out. As far as fastest 318, I would want to know what heads/cam/induction system was used. I would like to see how fast a 318 would go with 318 heads on it etc. didn't Mopar have HP 318 heads in the 80's?

My motor came out of a 83 police pursuit. So it all ready has 360 heads, flat top pistons (witch I will probably get kb's)my biggest concern is the correct cam for the characteristics I want the car to have and building around that as far as rpms, intake (dual quad Tunnel RAM), and compression.

Save money, W2 heads, aggressive solid cam, loose converter, 4.30 gear, dome top forged piston for a true 10.4:1 cr, single plane intake ported plenum and at least a gasket match here and heads, 750 carb (nice mechanical one) NOS big shot plate with a clean .073 jet tune up. Set the car up right and make single digit passes.
275/60 radial and 35 spline axles. Hitting the radial WILL BREAK PARTS, slicks got nothing on a radial there. Loose front shock, tighten up the rear, weigh about 3350 and drive it on pump gas, race on a mix of fuel.

Boom, you're done and fast. If performed right you'll make about 600-620whp with the kit on. ;)

Save money, W2 heads,agressive solid cam, loose converter, 4.30 gear, dome top forged piston true 10.4:1 cr, single plane intake ported plenum and at least a gasket match here and heads, 750 carb (nice mechanical one) NOS big shot plate with a clean .073 jet tune up. Set the car up right and make single digit passes.
275/60 radial and 35 spline axles. Hitting the radial WILL BREAK PARTS, slicks got nothing on a radial there. Loose front shock, tighten up the rear, weigh about 3350 and drive it on pump gas, race on a mix of fuel.

Boom, you're done and fast. If performed right you'll make about 600-620whp with the kit on. ;)

SpareParts you always make me laugh! Save money? those w2 heads are over $500 each with out rockers, valves, or springs! loose converter? Are you suggesting that I lose my 4 speed? And buy back a 727? Buy new axles, and new gears, buy tires, buy a nitrous kit - and the fire proof jacket required when using nitrous, take off the new dual quad tunnel ram?!? get into the single digits - buy and install a new roll cage?

SpareParts please let's just work on the rotating assembly (the long block)
I would like to keep above 11.5 to avoid the roll cage and stay on pump gas. High 11's is my goal without having to spray.

Now I know you you have something for me or do I have to be smart and figure it out?

Well it's not going to help to be dumb. Save money as in get money together to fund the build.

Stock steel crank out of a pickup (old truck, mine was a 68)
Scat rods $325 (you will have this or more in machine shop labor & stock rods)
Icon forged pistons.

The nitrous combo went 12.4 with the wrong converter to run on motor.
I didn't realize you had a stick, I don't see one reason for a 727 when a 904 will do the job and faster. The tunnel ram.... most I've seen were not needed for what they were on, a good single plane and carb won't leave anything on the table IMO

You know the "long block" includes the heads, right?

Yes, of course. Like I was saying a few post ago - I'm not convinced that the previous owner new what he was doing. I would like to keep the 360 heads, and reconditioned-new valves, springs, retainers, and a mild porting. Steel crank, kb pistons, and as ridiculous cam as the setup will allow?

Stock steel crank out of a pickup (old truck, mine was a 68)
Scat rods $325 (you will have this or more in machine shop labor & stock rods)
Icon forged pistons.

The nitrous combo went 12.4 with the wrong converter to run on motor.
I didn't realize you had a stick, I don't see one reason for a 727 when a 904 will do the job and faster. The tunnel ram.... most I've seen were not needed for what they were on, a good single plane and carb won't leave anything on the table IMO

The dual quad tunnel ram is something I've always wanted and the pistol grip 4-speed. Those are some things I'll have to make work. I really expected to be slower with the tunnel ram, but dropped a half second?
That's where I really get back to the cam to make it all work?

The dual quad tunnel ram is something I've always wanted and the pistol grip 4-speed. Those are some things I'll have to make work. I really expected to be slower with the tunnel ram, but dropped a half second?
That's where I really get back to the cam to make it all work?

Who said something about losing a half second? Where ya getting that number?

Now I'm on the fence about how I'm going to go about the build?
Let the machine shop do everything? $$$
Let the machine shop just machine?
90% STRIP
please 318 ONLY!

Figure out the heads that will be used.
Select a piston that you can run with the chamber style of the selected head. The compression ratio for pump gas will be around 10.5- iron, 11.5-1 aluminum with a fairly large cam designed for track only since you said 90% track. The 10% street may require pump gas. This is a limiting factor. Otherwise, I'd go up another point of compression for "strip only."

It's the machine shop do the maching and I assemble the parts. Saves money and I like to do it myself.

Bore and home with a torque plate, forged slugs, after market rods and a forged crank.
Open up the oiling holes and oil pump as per MoPars instructions.
IMO, a roller cam block is best to start with. Then enter your mechanical roller cam.

MoPar had 360 heads on there 318 4bbl. cars. Fully ported 360 heads will not out flow Edell. RPM or W2 heads. Those are the 2 heads I'd start looking at for starters.

Right??!I found out a long time ago- you can't save the world! :violent1:
Ummmm...... Spareparts meant save UP your money and buy W2's, not save money (as in spend less) and buy W2's.... LOL

Who said something about losing a half second? Where ya getting that number?
He put dual quads on and dropped a 1/2 second, so now he has etched it in stone that his 318 needs about 1000 cfm's..... to run a best of 13.7 !!!

P.S. I bet the post above that saw the 318 go 11.70's had a single four barrel on it.... Just a bet! :) Did I mention I saw a 340 go 10.90's with a TQ on a factory cast intake?? In an all steel '71 Demon---all motor? no boost or NOS?

If the dude likes a tunnelram so be it!,Ive known a few guys that like them and are happy-theres a couple on this board.J-par,if you want pm me,I have a forged 318 crank and may be able to help you with some diy head porting,its all about low bucks for me lol.

I don't like them.... except sheet metal ones with two 4500's and lots of nitrous plumbed to them :)

-
Back