Who here has Dougs headers in a Early A V8

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Who here has Dougs headers on a Early A V8 car?How much were they?Hows the fit?Also prices?Pics would be nice aslo,thanks.

They are pricey, north of $600 at minimum. I cut off the excess flange material & had them coated locally. I rerouted the brake & fuel lines which were too close IMO. Also the #8 pipe is close to the framerail-inner fender so I put on insulating wrap to give some paint protection. One of the pipes was also fairly close to the run-of-the mill ministarter so I wrapped that pipe too. Easy to install but I put in w/o the K-frame installed. Installed the left side on the engine stand.

340_new_installed_rt_temp.jpg

340_new_installed_lt_temp.jpg

The cheapest I have found the coated is $859.95 at Summit. $719.95 for uncoated. I see people talking about the TTIs being more than the Dougs but on the early A Bodies it seems to be the other way around. From the pics I've seen I think I like the fit of the Dougs headers better.

Pretty easy since you have an automatic car. Problems arise when you have a 4-speed.

I would think that the dougs would fit a 4 speed better then an auto,,,,the dougs were orignaly designed for the factory DODGE D-DART race cars and they were all 4 speed cars,,,there where no knwon after market dougs headers back in 1966 that i know of,,,doug re-engineered the headers in the mid 1990s,,for better fitment,,maybe he used an auto car to do it,,,,,,,

they fit as long as it's a factory 4-speed. Things are just a little tighter with the z-bar in the way.

They do not work with a 727 according to Pertronix.

Will Doug's work with a '66 Cuda factory 4 speed & factory power steering? I would love add headers and let my 273 breath. Any known horsepower gain with a bigger carb, cam & perf. intake? Just a rough guess would suffice.

Thx, ZooKypr

Will Doug's work with a '66 Cuda factory 4 speed & factory power steering? I would love add headers and let my 273 breath. Any known horsepower gain with a bigger carb, cam & perf. intake? Just a rough guess would suffice.

Thx, ZooKypr

will not work with power steering

Thx, ZooKypr

How much HP & torque gains am I getting for my money? 895.00 headers + 400.00 est. labor = $1295.00 Is there enough bang for the buck? I would say I need at 40 hp!

ZooKypr

How much HP & torque gains am I getting for my money? 895.00 headers + 400.00 est. labor = $1295.00 Is there enough bang for the buck? I would say I need at 40 hp!

ZooKypr

why are yoyu paying some one 400 bucks to install them ??? and are the headers ceramic coated for this price ??

Issue with the using the stock 4speed is that if your car needs headers, you likely need the larger clutch, which is the issue with fit.

In terms of Doug vs. TTI, TTI isn't a two-piece; would much rather have the full single-piece tubes of the TTI.

I finally got my project together. I have a 63 Dart and I am using Doug's with a 904 push button.

My philosophy is "a job worth doing is worth doing more than once". Apparently this car is really worth it. lol

I have built a lot of cars over time and I believe that building an early A mopar is a lot like building a hotrod back in the day before bolt together muscle cars.

It seems that there is always some sort of modifications necessary whenever you deviate from pure stock on these cars. For example I converted my car to 74 a body disc brakes. I fabbed up all of the tubing to get them working properly. Then I decided to convert the exhaust from manifolds to Doug's headers. Naturally the headers wanted to occupy the same space as the new brake lines. The headers won and I had to redo the brake lines. etc. etc.

I am working on a write up of my trials and tribulations of converting a 63 a body (firewall mods) from a 6 to a 360 inch daily driver.

If you don't want to be a real hotrodder and have to modify a lot of your performance upgrades then you might want to consider a "bolt together" later car.

In my book, real men are hotrodders!!

Keep on moddin!!
Mike

insurance-right-side.jpg

front-rt-seat.jpg

back-seat.jpg

right.jpg

-
Back