Who here holds the record for most amount of time elapsed since dragging a project home and it's still not done ?

No of years to finish

• 1 yr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2yr

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 3yr

• 4 yr

• 5 yr

• 5-7 yr

• 7-9 yr

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 10-12 yr

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 13-15 yr

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 16 plus

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters
-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
2009, "The great recession"
I'd been looking for a 70-2 Duster, all over the Southeast. I can't tell you how many cars I looked at that were advertised as no rust. Couldn't find one with absolutely minimal rust.

Saw a 70 Dart on Facebook in Reno. It was advertised as no rust ever, which was mostly true except the interior firewall surface rust from the leaks from a cracked windshield.

Any way, slant six 904 Kelsey Hayes front discs and factory front sway bar.

I started working on it 2010, and I'm just buttoning up the front suspension which is the last repair on my mission of having either new or remaned parts, so that I can expect to get 100 k, without major repairs, obviously, replacing wear items like tires, brakes, etc.

I'm 65 now and am mostly interested in turn key, dependable cruisers.
Not, having to work on the car every time I want to drive it.

So, 2009 to 2023, I claim 14 years plus to finish,

How about you ??

2009, "The great recession"
I'd been looking for a 70-2 Duster, all over the Southeast. I can't tell you how many cars I looked at that were advertised as no rust. Couldn't find one with absolutely minimal rust.

Saw a 70 Dart on Facebook in Reno. It was advertised as no rust ever, which was mostly true except the interior firewall surface rust from the leaks from a cracked windshield.

Any way, slant six 904 Kelsey Hayes front discs and factory front sway bar.

I started working on it 2010, and I'm just buttoning up the front suspension which is the last repair on my mission of having either new or remaned parts, so that I can expect to get 100 k, without major repairs, obviously, replacing wear items like tires, brakes, etc.

I'm 65 now and am mostly interested in turn key, dependable cruisers.
Not, having to work on the car every time I want to drive it.

So, 2009 to 2023, I claim 14 years plus to finish,

How about you ??
Well i technically started my w200 project in 2001, got it running and driving, but never well enough to be on the road, then tore it back apart in 2007 and well, married life, kids, my dart etc, it’s still sitting in pieces so I think I’ll claim 22

Last edited:
I also bought my Duster in 2010, still have stuff to finish, but it is probably 90% done.

Well i technically started my w200 project in 2011, got it running and driving, but never well enough to be on the road, then tore it back apart in 2007 and well, married life, kids, my dart etc, it’s still sitting in pieces so I think I’ll claim 22
Need W200 parts, I bought a running one just for the rear end.

Need W200 parts, I bought a running one just for the rear end.
Possibly. I’ve started inventorying my parts and getting stuff laid out. Off top of my head, I need at least one wing window, not sure which side. And if your cab floor is any good, I’d definitely be interested. Oh and if you have a factory rear chrome bumper and tailgate that aren’t totally destroyed

Possibly. I’ve started inventorying my parts and getting stuff laid out. Off top of my head, I need at least one wing window, not sure which side. And if your cab floor is any good, I’d definitely be interested. Oh and if you have a factory rear chrome bumper and tailgate that aren’t totally destroyed
I have both wing windows, the truck is a steel flat bed, but I do have a decent tailgate, cab floors have been patched.
I have a snow plow also.

I have both wing windows, the truck is a steel flat bed, but I do have a decent tailgate, cab floors have been patched.
I have a snow plow also.
Hmm send me a pm and we’ll talk. Where you located

I have a snow plow also.
Funny thing is, mine had a steel flat bed on it in 2001, but in 2007, I sourced a CA rust free and dent free bed from Mopar Nats in 2007. Which is why I started the disassembly

I'm on 4 years and counting with Vixen and I caint even see the light at the end of the tunnel.

These are the pictures I took in 2015 when I drove from Pa to North Carolina and back the same day hauling it. These were taken at his place. I hope to have it running this year. But then again I hope to get my boat that I bought in 2010 out for the first time.

E9109531-E026-4199-A38D-90AB0ECF1E2C.jpeg

A6E3DB97-A78D-4205-8270-F2F0EEE0551E.jpeg

40565792-410A-436D-97C7-0545F68D645D.jpeg

My green 1970 Dart I bought for $70.00 in 1992 IIRC, had it on the road in 6 weeks, (working evenings and weekends). Drove it for about 2 years until the transmission started crapping out, then it was parked for about 5 years while I collected parts and bought and stripped 13 other Darts since there was almost nothing available in aftermarket sheet metal at that time. Found a freshly built 360/727, then I started getting serious about getting it back on the road. A friend of mine was running a Bumper to Bumper store at the time and told me about new quarter panel skins being produced so I grabbed a set and got my bodyman neighbor who was just finishing a 68 GT500KR Shelby restoration to make room in his shop for it. It finally got painted and reassembled in 2003, so make that about 8 years.
My current 75 Dart Sport is now in year 4, I've put a new quarter skin on myself, put a motor together for it, interior, trunk floor, exhaust, plus an endless list of other work, still more to do yet, I might have put 200 miles on it so far, but if I don't get it on the road this summer, it's going to be moved along, I just don't have the patience anymore, plus I have my 42k original mile 76 Pontiac Ventura that drives like a new car, I just want to have something I'm able to enjoy and not have to spend so much time working on. I might even buy another motorcycle, almost did that 2 years ago.

I have a buddy that owns a 47 or 48 Ford truck that hasn't been on the road for probably 40 years. He built a motor for it in 2002 that's never been fired yet, been doing some work on it slowly for the past 10 years or so, but I really don't think he will ever get it together. He's got the money, the tools, the skills, and the time, just doesn't seem to have the motivation.

My car came apart in 1990 and was back on the road in 2008, 18 years.

Most of that was collecting dust, not parts.

Alan

I bought my 383-4 66 Coronet 440 in 2004.

Still not done.

2016 for the basket case Demon. I am rebuilding the last mechanical component (engine) as I type. I finished all of the metal work 1.5 years ago and it's been sitting at the body shop since then waiting to get the final tweaking, and paint........The waiting game continues!

I feel they are never done. Can't remember how much time has gone by since the 68 was left for paint and body work. Towed it back home last spring, pulled the exhaust manifolds and broke 2 exhaust studs. Might as well rebuild the original 383, and on it goes...

This project hasn't gone as smooth as planned .. lol

I also drug this home fall of 2009 , took car apart and it sat till 2012 when we whacked it apart and then 10 years of slow progress, it actually runs now

Going to see if we can find out if transmission works after the John Cope debacle. and having to rebuild a brand new horribly assembled. transmission

that he boinked me on

valiantoutsidesideshot.jpg

My 73 Scamp bought it and drove it for 5 years and decided to restore it in 2018 and finished it in the spring of 2020.

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_20210922_183353829_HDR.jpg

It depends on what you mean by finishing. They are never done. I've now trimmed it down to three projects. The 53 Cranbrook was the first car I ever drove and so I’ve been working on it for 47 years. The Barracuda I’ve been working on for 11 years, the 1500 Cabriolet I’ve been working on for twenty plus. I’ve drug these cars from New Mexico to Upstate New York to Georgia to Las Vegas to the U.P. and now to Missouri. My wife thinks I’m crazy and sometimes I wonder myself.

With my 1 hour here and there of working on stuff i might end up with the record :) Tonights goal... paint about 2' of space with rustoleum so i can weld in some patches this weekend :) Big night!

With my 1 hour here and there of working on stuff i might end up with the record :) Tonights goal... paint about 2' of space with rustoleum so i can weld in some patches this weekend :) Big night!
Hard working your hours and coming home and restoring a car I bet. I know it would be for me.

-
Back