Who lives near Troy, MI?

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Reason I ask is if I am offered a job in Troy, I am going to give it serious consideration. I was laid off from my one job of 16 years in early 2013. I was offered a very generous relocation package to there in 2013, but I declined it. I did so thinking that I could find something here where I live. I am having a tough time finding what I consider a good job doing what I have experience in. Well, I been talking to a chemist I worked with at the place I was laid off from who took the relocation package, and there is a possibility I will be offered a job there in Troy. He is a manager of that group, and he recommends me. I took a chance that I could get something here, and it hasn't happened, so it's time to look elsewhere. The move will be on my own dime this time, and I gave up 16 years seniority, but it was a gamble that fell through. It's tough for me cause other than the tech job, I really have no experience in anything else, and with no degree it's tough also. I could go back in doing basically the same thing I was doing, but I don't know about the money yet. I like living here in SE WI, but there is nothing to hold me here. I just want to work for another 10 to 15 years then retire. Thanks.

I used to live in Troy. It's a nice area, a pretty diverse mix of varied income residential areas, retail, larger business/offices, pretty good schools, and close to interstate I-75. There's always something to do in the northern Detroit suburbs, and it's close to the trendy Woodward corridor.

If you dont mind a drive like myself you could live rural outside the city and also have cheaper living. I drive 50 miles each way for work but it is freeway except about 5 miles.

Troy is a nice city. It is clean and safe. It has a very low crime rate. Troy is on the east side of metro Detroit which seems to have a lot of Mopar fans. That's where Mancini racing and some good engine and fabrication shops are located. Stop by next month and check out the Woodward Dream Cruise. It's a lot of fun. Good cruising on Woodward all summer. The town is full of "car guys". The economy here has also really picked up, especially in the automotive field. If you're living in Wisconsin now, you can handle the winters here, too. I really like Michigan. Only bad thing is that the roads absolutely suck!

I live about 10 minutes north of Troy. Troy is a very nice area and like MMissile said it is close to everything because of being so close to I 75. There is just about everything you can think of near by. Heck CHRYSLER head quarters is about five minutes away from Troy. You need to take a road trip and check it out but leave your Packers stuff at home were LIONS fans here LOL.
Bob

No Packer fan here either. CHICAGO BABY!!! Been looking at Trulia and Zillow. Sone pretty nice places, and taxes are low. WI is lower than IL, but around where I'm looking is even lower.

I used to live near Troy in Madison Heights. It's a good area to live in...

They have a Hooters there, that has to say something...

Yet to receive an offer, it is in the works. The guy who interviewed me told me before I even left home here in WI that I "will be hired". His words. Rat race, where I was at it in the Tory area, does seem very urban, nowhere near like where I live. All I have to do is drive a few miles to see farmland like corn, soybeans, cabbage, pumpkins, hay.....stuff like that. So, I'm working on getting my house ready to go. Either rent it or sell it, not sure yet. It needs some maintenance, not a lot, but some. I felt I had to let some minor things slide until I got working again, more cosmetic than anything else. I needed what cash I had to pay bills. When I moved in here, the deck was in poor shape, no kidding. Practically rebuilt the whole thing, had to replace posts, ledger board, railings, install a couple of posts, not to mention the decking itself. Thank God for neighbors! I'm sure I won't have a problem getting to know the neighbors, except I do tend to talk to much.
Looking at houses over there in the area, Not afraid of sweat equity. Kinda like doing that kind of work. Can get some decent deals if you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, and I'm not afraid to. Will be a little less money than what I was, making, About a buck an hour less, I can live with that. But thanks to all who commented, much appreciated!

If you like it more in the 'boonies' then go a little north of Troy... It gets more rural up there...

I live in Sterling Heights, which borders Troy. love this area.

For the record, Mancini Racing is not in Troy at all...

Wife says her brother (lawyer) lives there, good schools and a pretty nice place as she remembers, it's been awhile since she's been there tho. Good luck and yeah she says roads are a little rough (salt?).

It's not bad. The traffic from the north where it's rural down to Troy in the morning and home in the afternoon can be rough. I am going the other way. Lots of places to live, good car culture, the roads suck a bit, but I think you'd get by.

I like the idea of being around Watertown, but looking more at Roseville and Warren mainly. Don't need any thing big, around 1000sq/ft is plenty big enough. A 2 car garage would be nice, most important is affordable and low crime. There are plenty of places around. Buddy who is there now keeps saying you need a vehicle with a high center of gravity because of snow in the winter. Car can bottom out. If the snow is that deep on the road, there is no way I would drive anyway. But I told him I drove through some bad weather in S. Dakota in the late 70's. Friend said they don't plow as well as they do here in WI and IL. Isn't that why they make snow tires? Also, does MI allow studs on tires? Cause if so, then those help a lot. Friend was born and raised in CA, so what the hell does he know about snow? LOL. For those who lived and drove in it since they started driving, it ain't nothing.

No studded tires allowed in michigan...

The snow is not too bad if you can handle it in WI and IL, pretty much the same...

They don't plow the neighborhood streets in the city of Detroit, but do in the suburbs...

In the city neighborhoods, you have to pay the neighborhood association fees, and then the association hires a private contractor to plow the streets. However, it usually takes 2-3 days for them to get to it, so you ride the set of tracks that are worn in the streets until they are plowed... It helps to have a sure grip axle and narrow tires to get through the mess until it's plowed...

Mancini Racing is in Clinton Township. It's at 14 1/2 mile and Kelley road. Kelley road is between groesbeck & gratiot roads. It's not far from Warren, MI maybe 5 - 10 minutes depending on which part of Warren you are coming from...

If you move inside the Detroit city limits (south of 8 mile rd) then you get the privilege to pay 3% of your salary to the city of detroit. You don't have to pay that in the suburbs, so stay north of 8 mile...

Detroit & Warren cops are pricks....

Yep, that it is....more on the high side of it.

In April 2014 I purchased a home that was foreclosed upon in Warren.
We had a $40,000-ish budget, and looked at foreclosed houses mostly between $35k-$40k in the Warren or Roseville area, as that is where we could afford to buy a home.
I looked at many, many houses for sale, most houses were in better shape than the one I eventually purchased, however the yard layouts all sucked (small lots and thus the garages were all offset back behind the house...because of this, getting my trailer between the lot lines (edge of driveway) and the houses would have been nearly impossible at night and there is no way I wanted to do that repeatedly (as little as couple times a month to as many as a few times a week).
When I saw the MLS list update with the house I [eventually] bought, I immediately knew it was my only hope of having a nice yard/garage that wouldn't frustrate me every time I wanted to make use of one of them. the location was great...right off I-696 (11 Mile) and Schoenherr so going anywhere is a breeze. the garage is a nice 24' x 24' block garage that already had it's own sub-panel (I have since had it re-done so that the garage has it's own main panel and is completely separate from the house). They driveway is 16' x 80' of concrete.
By todays American standards the house is tiny at only 1,100 sq. ft., however it is more than enough for us (family of 4).
The lot is a big (triple) 140' x 135' and is completely fenced in around the entire perimeter (grandfathered in as nowadays you can only fence in your yard from the front corner of your house to the rear of the property).
Lastly the house sits at the end of a small dead end street, so to me this was clearly it.
I liked everything about it, and after making several bids on other houses and "losing" (even at 10% OVER asking price, as a cash buyer, and being a owner occupier) I set the selector switch to kill (at least I hoped) and made a $30,000 cash offer and HUD's $26,000 asking price and waited anxiously for the 3 weeks that the bidding was open. you know the rest.
It is no mansion by any stretch, and it was originally built in 1940 (has had two. maybe three? additions throughout the years), but I still love it. It definitely needed a lot of work and I am doing most everything myself, as spare time, cash, and help allows...which isn't often. My youngest son was born just before purchase so extra time and cash have been tight and progress is slow... If I had a bigger budget or believed in using a bank/loan it would have been a much easier process, without question...or if I was a more handy person...or had any help what-so-ever.
I am in no hurry and it is finally starting to come around. I feel that having a place to store my trailer and a garage to work out of in the meantime (has power) made it well worth the price of admission. The house will just be a "free" bonus whenever I get on my game and finish it! After initial purchase, I bought most of the materials I thought the house needed...most of them are still waiting to be used....Hahahaha.
I probably should have bought a different house, one that was more move in ready...however I love this yard/garage/driveway. one thing I learned is that you can always fix up/expand your house...it is almost impossible (or at least not remotely feasible) to expand your lot.
As I stated in my other post above, I currently live in Sterling Heights (18 Mile & Mound). I work in Clinton twp. (M-59 / Hall Road / 20 Mile & Groesbeck).

This is the house as it sits today (which honestly doesn't LOOK any different than when I bought it a year and a half ago...has it been that long already?!? : o Yikes! ). I have about $40,000 invested into it, including all indoor & outdoor LED lgihting & fixtures, all new shop lights in the garage, complete re-wire of the garage to add 230V and separate it from the house, doing a good bit of the roof, and all the materials to redo the plumbing (PEX-a), all the floors (combination of laminate and tile...no carpeting in my house!, and nice new appliances...jumped the gun a good bit here...hahahaha)

The house sits center (side to side) on the lot, but it is hard to get a photo from the right side (facing the house)

20150705_182340%20-%20Copy_zpsxnkow2ew.jpg

20150705_182303%20-%20Copy_zps7busa9rn.jpg

Thanks Daniel. 1100 sq/ft is big enough for me also. I currently have 1500 and I don't use the basement, but I love my 2 1/2 car garage with 750 sq/ft. And your place looks nice also. I can't afford to live in the high rent areas either. Well, anything over 100k is high rent to me. I don't want to be house rich and money poor.

I know that thought, exactly.
It is nice to know that I can be out of work for extended periods and can find enough returnables on the side of the road per month to pay the monthly utilities...okay maybe not, but our gas, water, and electric bills are almost non-existant...at both places combined.
Monthly expenses are my arch-enemy. Being I only make ~$30k per year from my day job, I wanted the peacew of mind that even if I had no income for a year or more, we could still maintain the lifestyle of doing what we want when we wanted. Of course we are pretty laid back, simple people without much want for anything...which is abnormal in this day in age. To the point where most people think I am poverty simply because I drive older (10 years old) vehicles and live in a tiny house.
We just choose to spend what little money we have on spending family time together... and I tend to spend a lot of it on Mopars...hahaha.

My buddy used to have a 900 sq ft house in Lake Orion with two garages attached that measured 1200 sq ft. One garage even had a 6 foot pit in it where you could pull the car over and work underneath...

Of course he was single...

-
Back