Who makes good oil pans for the SBM?

-
I checked on Champ's site....they say 'nothing available' for any Mopar ?

I check on the cost to build that oil pan...and let’s just say it’s more than a lot of the engine builds on this site...

Why is that?
Because cardboard and duct are less likely to leak then a milodon pan

(In thier defense, they claim its because the EPA won't let them test thier welds with oil, but to me, thats a lame excuse, considering what they charge for a pan)

Not to mention their "A body" pans do not fit my A body

I have heard stories about pinholes and leakage but that is not been my experience. I've used them on my last two motors over the last 20 years and wrapped the previous one around a poorly place manhole cover ring that shoved it into the crankshaft and it never leaked drop all of the rail integrities and ceiling surfaces stayed true actually pretty unbelievable. But I did have to notch the undercarriage to clear on the passenger front side of the pan

I run the Milodon road race pan on my Duster. Works great, I've had ZERO issues with the welds leaking. The road race pan was designed around a 67-72 car, so with my '74 K frame and spool mounts I need a small notch to clear the very bottom of the engine mount bracket. But that's nothing, if you can't handle that you can't handle aftermarket A-body parts in general.

It is a mid-sump though, not a rear sump. For a true rear sump you'd need a different steering set up than stock.

Here's the Milodon on my 340 and the mods it needed. On a 67-72 K this isn't necessary, and other than this is fit great.

img_1277_zps2f707a4f-jpg.jpg

img_1279_zpsdd27b8e4-jpg.jpg

img_1289_zpsbac69d29-jpg.jpg

Is this your pan? The Milodon 31590?
31590.jpg

2 out of the last 3 Milodon pans that I watched my local engine builder use leaked in the last year... I know because I get to bring them to my brothers welding shop to get them fixed.
Also blaming the EPA is just a bunch of bullshit... 50 years in the oil pan business and you can’t make one that doesn’t leak...

Yes I would be extremely pissed. Their pans are not cheap but it's just not been my experience, no leaks just lucky I guess

How much lower/deeper than stock is the 31590?

There's a fab shop near me...they makes lots of tanks for all sorts of applications, mostly offshore vessels and platforms. They even made the fuel tank for the Valiant in my profile pic. The owner tells me when they finish a tank and need to check it for leaks, they pour diesel fuel in it. He says it's the leakiest stuff on Earth lol.

I run the Milodon road race pan on my Duster. Works great, I've had ZERO issues with the welds leaking. The road race pan was designed around a 67-72 car, so with my '74 K frame and spool mounts I need a small notch to clear the very bottom of the engine mount bracket.......

I was about to start a thread asking about this pan and interferrence issues, but I'll jump in here as your info seems to be the opposite of the Milodon advertising.
Milodon states on their website that the 31590 pan, "Works on 1967 to 73 cars with later 1973 to 1976 A body K-member.". So they are saying it is designed for the later spool K, and imply that it will not work on the 67-72 members. It appears that from your experience, it won't fit a spool K without pretty substantial modification. robert
Does anyone have experience with installing this pan on a 67-72?
I want to know whether I need to buy a later K member. This is going into a 68 Barracuda.

Robert

Mickey Williams......phenomenal fab work and does many small block mopar oil pans and also does valve cover as well.

Last edited:
I was about to start a thread asking about this pan and interferrence issues, but I'll jump in here as your info seems to be the opposite of the Milodon advertising.
Milodon states on their website that the 31590 pan, "Works on 1967 to 73 cars with later 1973 to 1976 A body K-member.". So they are saying it is designed for the later spool K, and imply that it will not work on the 67-72 members. It appears that from your experience, it won't fit a spool K without pretty substantial modification. robert
Does anyone have experience with installing this pan on a 67-72?
I want to know whether I need to buy a later K member. This is going into a 68 Barracuda.

Robert

You can ask @autoxcuda. He installed one in his Barracuda and didn't have to modify his K like I did. I think my issue may have been the result of all my polyurethane bushings at the engine mounts and transmission. But I'm not sure. I know other people have run that pan without the mods I did.

Also blaming the EPA is just a bunch of bullshit... 50 years in the oil pan business and you can’t make one that doesn’t leak...
That right there ^^^^ is just the danged truth.

You can ask @autoxcuda. He installed one in his Barracuda and didn't have to modify his K like I did. I think my issue may have been the result of all my polyurethane bushings at the engine mounts and transmission. But I'm not sure. I know other people have run that pan without the mods I did.

the 68-72 A-body K-member has more room for a kick out pan than the spool mount 73-76 A-body K-member.

So we wanted to point out the pan does work (really close) with the 73-76 style. Those K-members have columns that support the spool motor mount and narrow down each side of the K-member’s U-shaped opening for the oil pan.

I think the wording should be changed to 67-72 and 73-76 A-body k-members.

I’m not sure if they modified the pan for more clearance since the first ones. They did borrow a 73-76 K-member and new NOS motor mounts a few years ago to “check things”

I think it would be a good idea mock yours up when using a 73-76 K-member or just clearance the K-member like 72bluNblu has pictures of.

Again 67-72 A-body K’s have plenty of room.

The Milodon SB pan will work with 67-72 A-body K-members

Last edited:
I got a kevco pan, and yes it's based on a production style pan but they do a pretty good job and it's a nice product.

Does Williams have a website so we can look over what they offer?

-
Back