Who makes one?

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
Who makes an aftermarket k frame that is compatable with factory suspension/ steering components? For 73'+ a body. Looking for something less bulky that can still use the suspension stuff i have now, if that's even a thing. Thanks

QA1. All the stock components can be used. But as far as less bulky, I think it's less than 10 lbs lighter.

hal-52313_xl.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-52313/overview/

Yes, they work with stock suspension parts...got a few in use.

No way that thing is anywhere near as strong as a fully welded and gusseted stock K frame either...

No way that thing is anywhere near as strong as a fully welded and gusseted stock K frame either...

I would guess that if you did a full stress/strain analysis on the QA1 vs. a fully seam welded and gusseted stock K you'd find loading situations for both where each one outperformed the other. I don't think either one is slam dunk "stronger" overall than the other. The fully welded and reinforced stock K would be more durable just because of it's construction, more likely to deform than break anything. Whereas the tubular K would likely fail at a joint. But that failure would probably take place under a higher load than what would deform the stocker. Regardless, I don't think you'd notice the difference on the street, or even at the track. But that's just my guess, and we all know what assumptions do.

For my money though I'll keep seam welding and gusseting my stock K's.

That QA1 is the same one CAPauto made and sold to QA1. I had one was not pleased with the mounting bolts used and the excessive slip in mount holes. I don't know if QA1 changed any of the Designes I'm sure the welds are better. Than Crapautos where. I tossed mine.

That QA1 is the same one CAPauto made and sold to QA1. I had one was not pleased with the mounting bolts used and the excessive slip in mount holes. I don't know if QA1 changed any of the Designes I'm sure the welds are better. Than Crapautos where. I tossed mine.

I wouldn't compare the QA1 products with the ones from CAP auto. QA1 didn't change the design of some of the parts, but it wasn't the design of most of CAP's stuff that was the problem. I had a set of CAP's tubular LCA's on my Challenger that had a weld fail. I also have a new set of the QA1 tubular LCA's. The design didn't change because it was a good design, but the quality changed completely. Very high quality stuff from QA1. The tubular UCA's on the other hand were completely re-designed by QA1. I had a set of those too, and the QA1 stuff is totally different.

Bottom line is that QA1 changed the designs that needed to be changed, and improved the quality of the parts that had good designs. I wouldn't worry about the tubular QA1 k-member failing personally. Although I don't really see the need for one either, but I can do that welding to reinforce the stock K's myself.

Last edited:
For 73'+ a body.

BigBlockMopar28,
I'm probably pointing out the obvious, but the 73+ spool motor mounts won't work on the QA1 k-frame. The QA1 piece will need to use 72 and older motor mounts. Some prefer the older mounts anyway, because they can provide a bit more adjustability in motor position for headers.

Travis

Well....I have one of the Cap Tubular K members and 2 of the Qa1 k member...If i took the Qa1 decals off you could not tell the difference between them......

Cap k member been on the car 5 plus years....looks like it is getting ready for touchdown....Best thing QA1 did was cutting the price by more then half....

Tony Santos051.jpg

Well maybe you got a "good one". Because I've personally seen the failed, craptastic welds that CAP sent out the door on their parts. Any CAP part with a weld should be melted down. It's scrap as far as I'm concerned, an accident waiting to happen.

I ran my CAP LCA's for over 4 years and probably 40,000 miles on my Challenger before one failed. It still failed. That CAP stuff is a time bomb.

Alright thanks guys. I had seen the qa1 but didnt know about compatibility. My factory k frame (/6) has small bends and dents in spots and has rust, dirt, and small rocks on the inside from sitting where it had been. The top of the frame is undercoated so i cant see if there is any surface rust. Just in the process of deciding wether the qa1 would be a better choice than worrying about the x factors of my frame, mainly in the long run

I removed a /6 k member out of a 71 duster and installed the qa1 with no problems...and dropped in a 360...

-
Back