Who on here knows a cast array of info on the newer 360?

-

strokedracer05

Reaction score
Who knows a good bit of info on the newer 360's like out of the 98 5.9 jeeps and out of the late 90s four wheel drive dodges with the 360 magnum in them i am curious as to bore size rod stroke (in inches) and also were to get strong aftermarket pistons and rods.and some other stuff. Thanks for any info

-Keenan

They are virtually identical to earlier 360s. The heads are a little differet, the oiling system is a little different, but it's still basically a 4.00" bore, 3.58" stroke. Any aftermarket 360 parts will bolt in. The timing covers do not allow for a mechanical fuel pump... The factory balance is a little different. Intake selection is not as good as the LAs... That's about it I think.

So your saying that the older 360s are that similar!?!?! Sweet so i just need 70s 360 rods and 70s 360 pistons? Theyll just bolt right in? Reason why i ask i wasnt sure how different the cranks are (crank journal size)

So your saying that the older 360s are that similar!?!?!
Yes, indeed. But there are cave eats to what is sim. and not.
Sweet so i just need 70s 360 rods and 70s 360 pistons?

Maybe. The issue here is engine balance. Magnums are balanced differently than the older "LA" engines.
Theyll just bolt right in? Reason why i ask i wasnt sure how different the cranks are (crank journal size)
The cranks will bolt right in.

What you need is a book on how to rebuild your S/B MoPar for a stack of info at your finger tips.

So its gonna be better to find the correct rods and pistons needed correcto?

If your going to rebuild an engine, it is easiest to simply stay with that engine family and year. While many if not nearly all parts swap over from one year to the next, one family to the other, somethings do not swap easy if at all. These small cave eats are to be known before you start doing some weird cross over of parts. While the issues are small and not to hard to find out and modify for use, it is more so a pain to keep track of things and re-mind yourself should there be an issue later.

If your doing a Magnum engine, stay with the Magnum parts. Same goes for the A and LA engines.

This just simply makes things easier. There is no shortage of parts for the "LA" or Magnum engine families. The early "Poly" "A" engines have a few things that are harder to come by. But the parts are out there. Intakes and heads are the hardest thing for the early "A" engines. Or something like a 8 bolt flange crank.

Ok yes i understand that which thanks for the info but i need aftermarket rods and pistons for what im doing im going to ion nitrade the crank and get super strong rods and get 11:1 or 12:1 pistons and i am also goin with a 72mm turbo maybe a little bigger And i need a bottomend to support that turbo

OK, I understand. You'll need to look at manufactures of the cranks and rods for the engine family your working on and the sister engine family.

If you have to swap a Magnum crank and rod set up for a "LA" to have the strength your looking for, this is not a problem since it will drop into a Magnum block.

The only thing different in a Magnum block is the lack of a drilled oil passage to feed the "LA" heads oil.

You can get "LA" crank, rods and the pistons into a Magnum block, no problem. Feeding "LA" styled heads on a Magnum block is a small problem. One of which the machinist can fix by drilling the oil passage. He probably won't like doing it. But it is possible.

-
Back