Who owns a pool?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
It's that time of year again and we just pulled the cover off our pool at work. It looks like I am going to be occupied with it the next few days. Now that I have had to take care if two pools and a spa I'll never own one I can tell you that.

I feel the same way. Put a pool in once upon a time. First two years fun, then after that was just work and money. The kids really didn't even use it anymore. To keep an unscreened one nice it becomes a daily deal.

I feel the same way. Put a pool in once upon a time. First two years fun, then after that was just work and money. The kids really didn't even use it anymore. To keep an unscreened one nice it becomes a daily deal.

Once you own it for a while and start replacing pumps the money starts flying out. Then the heaters on the indoor pool went out and it was big money. Then the dehumidifier goes out and you just bring in the trucks of cash

Welcome to our ool...

Notice that there is no "P" in it...

Please keep it that way....

Inground ... luv it ... When the wife is occupied .. i can spend time with cars ...

I have a nice one, was OK when the kids were younger. Now it's an expensive bunch of work. Have to run and maintain it to keep it nice, no one uses it. I haven't decided if it's more work and expense to keep it or get rid of it.

we had one when i was kid and it was a money pit.
just rough numbering here but 10 grand to put it in plus maintenance costs
after 10 years my parents removed the pool because nobody used it. In the summer all 5 kids had jobs and nobody was home to use it. Someone may have used it once a week. Got to the point it didnt make sense.

now i have my 7 year old daughter and i buy the walmart inflatable pool types. We now have the biggest one you can buy and she hardly uses it. Open it july 1. Every other weekend she is gone in the summer to her moms and two weeks of the summer she is gone to her moms as well. so a total of 8 weeks in the summer
two are gone
we are now down to six weeks.
Last couple years august has been too cool and she does not want to swim in the cold water so now we are down to less then 4 weeks of useage. She does swimming lessons for a week in the summer and gets tired of swimming.
down to 3 weeks.

so i can say we may use the pool for 3 weeks out of the whole summer vacation.

My house had a built in 8 person hot tub when I bought it.

Not sure of gallons but it seated 6 really comfortably and could really do 8.

I ran the heater timer every other day for one hour.

If I wanted to use it, I had to wait another hour for it to get to temp.
(2 hours on the off days).

I used it maybe one or twice a week.

It doubled my electric bill and trippled my water bill.

It started developing bubbles in the fiberglass.

I fixed it twice and then just quit dealing with it.

Now I use the circuit and part of the wiring for my garage power.

I'll be ripping out the carcass and filling in the hole soon.

Oh, almost forgot the knife edge pH requirements.

I can't imagine going through that on the scale of a full size pool.

My wife has said in the past that she wants a pool, and I've always said, sure, but you get to maintain it and pay the difference in the utility bills.

Hybrid pool with salt water.

No maintenance other than emptying the basket every day and the occasional backwash.

Probably costs 15$ per year in salt and 5$ per year for 2 chlorine tabs to shock it when I open it up.

Hybrid pool with salt water.

No maintenance other than emptying the basket every day and the occasional backwash.

Probably costs 15$ per year in salt and 5$ per year for 2 chlorine tabs to shock it when I open it up.

That's what I was pushing for at work but I doubt it will happen.

My house had a built in 8 person hot tub when I bought it.

Not sure of gallons but it seated 6 really comfortably and could really do 8.

I ran the heater timer every other day for one hour.

If I wanted to use it, I had to wait another hour for it to get to temp.
(2 hours on the off days).

I used it maybe one or twice a week.

It doubled my electric bill and trippled my water bill.

It started developing bubbles in the fiberglass.

I fixed it twice and then just quit dealing with it.

Now I use the circuit and part of the wiring for my garage power.

I'll be ripping out the carcass and filling in the hole soon.

Oh, almost forgot the knife edge pH requirements.

I can't imagine going through that on the scale of a full size pool.

My wife has said in the past that she wants a pool, and I've always said, sure, but you get to maintain it and pay the difference in the utility bills.

Chemicals aren't too bad typically. The thing that killed us was our heat exchange. We contracted the job out and the people who ordered the new unit didn't get one with a commercial heat exchange and no bypass valves. After six months the chemicals ruined it and then the finger pointing began. Just had the health department come by and they told us we now have to pay for three pools since we have a spa. For the last 30 years we only paid for two.

my outdoor pool got torn down this year, so now I have to use my uncle's indoor pool.

The outdoor one was nice because you get blue sky but it was getting old and needed a new liner and the landscape around it was interfering and the whole thing was just becoming a problem.

You are crazy not to go salt water. Savings and ease of maintenance. Can't beat it!

The suits don't want to hear what we have to say. Not to mention the current owners more then likely will sell the property in a few more years so they aren't thinking of the long term.

At Carlisle last year. Drive by swimming pool.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 133
Welcome to our ool...

Notice that there is no "P" in it...

Please keep it that way....

I grew up a couple houses down from my Jr. High Gym Teacher. One more than quite a few occasions, Mr Johnson embarrassed me in front of the gym class, by retelling stories of when I was 4 or 5 years old. He meant no harm and even I laughed at many of the stories.

So one day, they are taking us next door to the high school to go swimming and Mr. Johnson tells the class "I don't swim in your toilet, so do not pee in my pool".
So foolish me, I had to raise my hand to get his attention and he asks me what I wanted.

So I tell him, fairly loud that, " Mr. Johnson, anytime you want to come over and swim in my toilet, it is perfectly fine with me".

I did get away with it.

Oh I dread fooling with the pool again. I think I'm going to just pay somebody to deal with it. It looks worse than my pond.

I built an in ground pool at the house the same year I sold my Go Fast ( hole in the water into which you pour money ) Boat !! One of the best moves I made. My kids were young then in 1994 and we got plenty of use out of it. Almost every weekend there was some kind of family party or sports team party here. Now my kids are grown, but the wife really enjoys the use of it. She takes care of the whole thing, all summer, after I help get it opened or closed. In the summer I wear swim shorts to work out in my shop. If I get hot , I just empty my pockets and go take a dip with a COLD one. Works for me. Chemical expense isn't too bad after it's going. Oh... Gunner thinks the pool is his !!

Attachments

• 20130622_174930.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Htc touch pro pictures 064.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Htc touch pro pictures 065.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 123
been working on mine for a bit now-- changed the green pond to clear pool in just over 3 weeks!!
this in ground unit came with the house, if my kids now (21&14) also my niece(26) didn't use if for friends & social events the thing would be filled in!!
that is my daughter some years ago --she is now 5'8" tall & knows everything!!
the pool is a pain --but it has become quite a social event for my kids friends.

I like it best when it is over 100 outside & no one else is a round -- floating with a brew & quiet is priceless.
currently have a slow leak in liner somewhere-- next year new liner time(ouch!)
that is where my spring so far has been cleaning it up & getting it ready for the season

Lawrence

Attachments

• IMG_8010.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 145
  • summer2011 071.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_8038.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 128
We are in the process of draining ours right now. Then give it a quick pressure wash and then fill it back up. The outdoor pool hasn't been much trouble but our indoor pool is a nightmere. Had to get a new dehumidifier, heater for the pool and spa, and now the paint is peeling so it has to get repainted.

I hate it. I get all the work for twelve months and the wife swims for four months.

-
Back