Who races w/OE Magnum short blocks

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was wondering with or without the stock rotating assembly, what you were all doing? Turning what rpm?
Etc....

Tell me what ya got and how your doing it!
Still running a roller cam?
Oiling mods?
Etc....

I doubt I will race it but I'm having Brian at IMM Engines building me a 408 stroker magnum engine for my 03 Dodge Ram. I'm figuring around 6000-6500RPMs.

408 9.4 compression "around" 485TQ 425HP
EQ heads 2.02/1.60 ferra valves w/bronze guides plus beehive springs and his magic touch
Icon 4030 forged pistons
Scat forged rods
Scat forged crankshaft
High Volume oil pump
Comp Cam custom ground roller cam .220/.220 @.50 550/550 lift 112lsa
Stainless 1.6 ratio roller rockers (I don’t know the name brand)
Truck style oil pan
Hughes FI intake (Eddy Air-gap)
F&B 58mm throttle body
Ford racing 39lb injectors
SCT tuned
Flowtech headers
Roller timing chain
No oiling mods unless Brian takes it upon himself to utilize them.

Last edited:
I was wondering with or without the stock rotating assembly, what you were all doing? Turning what rpm?
Etc....

Tell me what ya got and how your doing it!
Still running a roller cam?
Oiling mods?
Etc....

I was running a 360/380 hp crate motor in my D50 and the short block except for cam is a stock Magnum. It has the .501/.513 hydraulic roller cam. It ran its quickest ET shifting at 5600 rpm. If I went any higher it would nose down and slow down. Ran a best of 7.27 @ 94 mph in the 1/8 at 2950lbs. Through the mufflers and Drag Radials driven to the track.

Cool man! I’m wondering if anybody twists them up above 6500/6800 area as well?

Anybody twist these OE stock short blocks up real high?

What's the use twisting up that high if nothing is going on up there? lol
Maybe if the cam's operating range was 3000-7500 maybe?

Not sure those steel roller lifters will come back down fast enough for that.:D

I twist mine to 6,000 rpm. Has been the best of 7.47 in the 1/8th at 90 MPH. That is in my street driven 71 Dart. All steel full interior. Car weighs 3,400 lbs with me in it. Stock magnum junkyard shortblock except cam. With cheap summit headers, RPM Air gap and Holley 750 DP.

Stock 1989 5.9 300hp mopar performance crate, 30,000 miles, 727 manual valve body ,best of 14.1 in the 1/4 @ 95mph, 5800rpm on shifts. Made less than 10 passes with the first pass always being the best. Def more fun on the street.

what camshaft would you recommend for a stock motor as an upgrade?

It is a 5.9 in a 99 Dodge Durango 2 wheel drive automatic.

what camshaft would you recommend for a stock motor as an upgrade?

It is a 5.9 in a 99 Dodge Durango 2 wheel drive automatic.
I ran a 360 crate short block for years, still have it, at first I ran it with my W2 heads and a 590 lift mech. Cam it made around 535 hp and ran 10.70s after spinning a bearing on the cast crank I upgraded to a steel crank , and better rods and pistons same W2 heads and 590 lift cam It made 549 hp and ran a best of 10.40

Did have the OE style slug? Or valve reliefs in a higher compression height piston?

While on the cam subject.
I have noticed that all the hydraulic rollers for Magnums , that I have researched, have about 51* ramps, from advertised to .050. I realize that those lifters look heavy alright, but is there another way with a hydro,to speed this up. I'd like the power of a say a 230/235@.050 number, but don't want the 281/286 advertised.I really want to stay Hydro.

@AJ/FormS

That is a good street hot rod cam duration area. Plus or minus 10*@.050 to suite the driver / drivetrain / useage.
I’d imagine some pretty decent drag strip times could come from it from a drag car (dedicated) or street car.

No, mine came out of a junkyard and at that time you the MP 380 horse cam had been discontinued but I found Comp had a grind nearly identical. Only difference is that mine is 110 LSA instead of 108 LSA. I was basically trying to imitate the 380 horse crate for less dollars. Very happy though because this cam is sooo tame on the street. In nice weather I drive the Dart to work daily.

Thanksfor that! I was eye balling that cam!

I twist mine to 6,000 rpm. Has been the best of 7.47 in the 1/8th at 90 MPH. That is in my street driven 71 Dart. All steel full interior. Car weighs 3,400 lbs with me in it. Stock magnum junkyard shortblock except cam. With cheap summit headers, RPM Air gap and Holley 750 DP.
What heads?

My build is pretty similar to Walker434's. Stock bottom end JY 5.9, basic rebuild with new rings, bearings, etc. Normally aspirated I spun it to 6500 on multiple occasions. EQ heads, regrind cam and factory rocker hardware and lifters. Same motor is turbo charged now and I try to keep it under 5800 RPM.

IIRC, the Magnum rod and slug combo uses a smaller wrist pin. This is correct?

I have had a passing thought of a simple slug, ring swap and go. There was a thread on that thought a while back.

-
Back