Who remembers Valiant effort

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
I was thumbing through some old magazines I had bought on eBay around 2010 and I ran into Valiant effort which didn't mean much to me back in 2010. Now I am the self proclaimed Princess Of Valiants because I have a lot of Valiants now including a 67 2 door, it caught my interest. So now I look back and think.... "dang, what a cool build and time"

20240118_195959.jpg

20240118_195921.jpg

20240118_195927.jpg

20240118_200022.jpg

I did read those articles. The name for the car sort of seemed weird though. A "Valiant Effort" is associated with a failure despite one's best attempts at success.

I did read those articles. The name for the car sort of seemed weird though. A "Valiant Effort" is associated with a failure despite one's best attempts at success.
Back in those days, nobody wanted a valiant so it might have been considered a fail car that you got because that was all you could afford or find.

When I bought my first valiant, a few people asked me why I wanted such a car when they were far from "in fashion"

Now it's a completely different story when people see a Valiant

Ha...
I didn't care if women or my buddies liked the cars that I owned. IF they did, that was nice but it sure wasn't why I picked them.

G L 2 99 1.jpg

Ha...
I didn't care if women or my buddies liked the cars that I owned. IF they did, that was nice but it sure wasn't why I picked them.
The thing I am into now which even I never thought I would be into is 4 door cars. I actually prefer my 4 door Valiants to the 2 door. Not saying I don't like the 2 doors, but I totally dig the look and proportion of the 4 door versions. Back when I started auto school (mid 2000s) , 4 doors were parts cars and it was not cool to prefer a 4 door over a 2 door counterpart.

20240113_154025.jpg

That car was a hodge-podge....

It started out a 318-904-7 1/4 axle with rubber floor mats...

IMG_20151214_0166.jpg

I used it for a video movie that I made in 1998-99. It had a Dukes of Hazzard theme...

IMG_20151214_0178.jpg

I had a fake roll bar made from 2" ABS plumbing....

IMG_20151214_0177.jpg

Through the window you can see it's sister, the stunt car I used for jumps and crashes.
Once I finished the movie, I painted the Duster black...

IMG_20151214_0182.jpg

I sold it for $3000 in 2001. I wonder what it would be worth today....

Back in those days, nobody wanted a valiant so it might have been considered a fail car that you got because that was all you could afford or find.

When I bought my first valiant, a few people asked me why I wanted such a car when they were far from "in fashion"

Now it's a completely different story when people see a Valiant
I still get the "why" look from some of the Chevy dorks. They'll never understand.

As we get older especially, we learn that "less can be more"!\

Like the 68-70 RoadRunner. It started out as less is more and sold like crazy. 340A body/ Look at them today!!!

And.....I have learned this about 4 door cars..... put the work and parts ($$$$) into them and IF you want to sell, to get your $$$ backout, you have to usually part it out!!! Unless

You find that right person!

I remember that car!
Randy and I go back as friends over 20+ years. Know the car quite well.Rode with him from Florida to Georgia to a event at Year One in his Valiant.
I actually prefer my 4 door
I have no problem with more door Mopars. I drive one now.
barbee6043 does have a point. In the eye of the beholder they (a 4 door) may priceless.
Truth will always be a 2 door will bring more money.

One of our bracket cars in the 90's was a 67 valiant had too many cars at the time and something had to go.

20240201_085606.jpg

20240201_085657.jpg

20240201_085841.jpg

20240201_085934.jpg

Cool car. I still wish they would have painted the radiator support black so it doesn't show through the grille.

mopp_1004_13_o+1967_plymouth_valiant+comparison_2.jpg

I told this story many times. I raced a 4 door 67 Dart Slant 6 for many years.
In the staging lanes I walked away to use the head.
On returning all 4 doors were open and other racer friends were sitting in it.
I said "So my 4 door ain't so bad now ?" Yeah, easier than climbing over roll bars was their reply.

Starting_line_PA06.JPG

The thing I am into now which even I never thought I would be into is 4 door cars. I actually prefer my 4 door Valiants to the 2 door. Not saying I don't like the 2 doors, but I totally dig the look and proportion of the 4 door versions. Back when I started auto school (mid 2000s) , 4 doors were parts cars and it was not cool to prefer a 4 door over a 2 door counterpart.

View attachment 1716200426

We like the 4 doors too. Here is my oldest son's 4 door.

I remember that car and magazine . I also remember the mag Mopar Action and their Green Brick . It was a 69 Valiant they raced as part of One Lap of America . Circa 2002 .

I agree that the 4 doors always looked better to me too , more balanced , maybe , i don't know . My first car was a 1968 Valiant 4 door 225 . in about 1994 . Back then , for my friends and others the issue had nothing to do with number of doors or cylinders . The issue was " why do you want something that old ? " . Funny then , cuz the car was only 26 years old then , barely a classic , but that was the mentality of most people back then . 2 doors / 4 doors / 6 cyl / 8 cyl / auto / 4 speed / a body / b body / whatever body , i like them all . i have had two 4 door valiants with slant six's ( that 1968 and now a 1974 ) a 1967 coronet 318 4 door , i have a 1972 dart 318 4 door , and a 1966 satellite 2door with a big block 361 and a 4 speed . Each car and combo has its own personality and all are a blast to drive . Also , most random people out there compliment each car or are happy to see it . There of course has been some of people that say something about its 4 doors or 6 cylinders , but usually those were folks without a vintage car at all , or had some cool 2 door dart or something that was always off the road while they were trying to fix it and never got it finished ( my friend Ed ) . all in all in doesn't matter , drive whatever you want .

Last edited:
Back in the 1990s I hung around a body shop where everybody drove and raced Mopars. When the owners little brother turned 16 they built him a nice stock 68 Valiant 4 door with a 318. After a while the shy youngest brother admitted that he was taking a lot of flack at school because his older brothers had a reputation for fast cars and here he was with a 318 Valiant. The next weekend they did some work to the car and sent him back to school on Monday with the ultimate sleeper - F4 green Valiant 4 door, steel wheels with dog dishes and a 440 with dual quads under the hood.

-
Back