whomp whomp whomp

-
so your running VR1 20-50? in the 410? and how much oil does that pan hold? the stock takes 5 shoud i run 5.5?

also what is your psi at when you first start the car in the morning?

When I first start the car it instantly goes to 50+lbs COLD, blurp the throttle it will hit 90+lbs, now this is cold. HOT it idles at around 32 lbs and will hit 65 lbs +

1) Are you running a windage tray??
2) Did you clearance your pickup before you put it on?
3) Are you running a high volume pump??

If you are running a HV pump, you could be sucking ALL the oil out of the pan because the capacity is not enough to feed it. Couple that with a BIG GAP from the pickup to the bottom of the pan and that could be a problem....

I run a windage tray always with a stock pan and use a stock pump and pickup. I do this even with a HP stroker build.........doing one right now with stock pan, pickup with windage tray on the 402 I have been working on.

When I first start the car it instantly goes to 50+lbs COLD, blurp the throttle it will hit 90+lbs, now this is cold. HOT it idles at around 32 lbs and will hit 65 lbs +

1) Are you running a windage tray??
2) Did you clearance your pickup before you put it on?
3) Are you running a high volume pump??

If you are running a HV pump, you could be sucking ALL the oil out of the pan because the capacity is not enough to feed it. Couple that with a BIG GAP from the pickup to the bottom of the pan and that could be a problem....

I run a windage tray always with a stock pan and use a stock pump and pickup. I do this even with a HP stroker build.........doing one right now with stock pan, pickup with windage tray on the 402 I have been working on.

1) Are you running a windage tray?? nope
2) Did you clearance your pickup before you put it on? no =/
3) Are you running a high volume pump?? nope

i get 55-60 when cold then drops alot...Im thinking about running the 20-50 to see what it does and then decide if I should pull the motor

Sounds like your pickup is not DEEP enough in the oil to me. I would try running 7 quarts in it just to see what happens.......Dont Drive the car though or REVV the chitt out of it. If that fixes the problem then I would say your pick up is the problem!

The only concern that you should have is the 0 oil pressure that is why I recommended to fill it up with more oil and see what happens. Everything else to me sounds OK.........Possibly check the guage... Cheapest, easiest to fix if that is it.

Low oil pressure at idle is ok. Low oil pressure on the gas is BAD.

no its the same one less then 700 miles on it and put 7 quarts of the oil i already have or 20w-50?

The 20psi you mentioned (hot at idle) is fine. Standard rule if thumb is 10psi for every 1000rpm.

I would dump the straight 40wt. and go with a quality multi grade 10-30 (my preference).

The 20psi you mentioned (hot at idle) is fine. Standard rule if thumb is 10psi for every 1000rpm.

I would dump the straight 40wt. and go with a quality multi grade 10-30 (my preference).

I might or go 10w40 i went with a cheap autozone 10w30 before the straight 40 to clean out if any water was left in the motor and it was like water when i drained it. maybe just the cheap brand?

is a straight 40 thicker then a 10w40?

I ran 15w40 when my ramcharger's 318 was worn right out. when cold I got 20-25, when warm I would get 6, sitting in traffic it dipped to 0, couple weeks later I changed the motor with my dad.

IMO anything higher then a 10w30 is for either a racecar, diesel, or piece of heavy equipment. If your motor has standard clearances it should be 5w30-10w30.

I believe the factory specs for my ramcharger(84 ramcharger with a 318 2bbl) was 6 psi at idle, and I think it was 20 psi at 2K.

I agree straight 50wt is too heavy unless you have oil clearances of .003 or more. 15w 40 or 20w 50 is fine for performance engines, 10w 40 is fine for break in but not for racing and depending on your oil clearances may be too thin for street performance as well.

I don't know of an oil that is 10/40 that has zinc in it. You would have to use an additive, or at least I would.

The only issue here again is with the 0 blurp in oil pressure. Everything else is fine. IMO

I would Run it the way that it is. If you KNOW that the oil pressure blurps to 0 than I would try adding more oil and see what happens. I would still think it would be the pickup causing the problem. Unless you blew up your other engine and BIG CHUNKS of metal got in the pump or oil passages..........I always use a NEW pump no matter how many miles were on the engine.. Cheap 50-$80.00 insurance. JMO

Would water in the system cause the 0 blurp?I know you ran/rinsed with fresh oil,but it,s very hard to get water out with 1 flush.Once you have water in oil,its foams up everything.As you already know,from your previous problem.Just wondering if maybe there still some water in there?

im not totally sure i got it out, but iono...cold it goes 62-64 but i dont know why it drops so low. im thinking bout dumping this oil for the vr1 20w50

I don't know of an oil that is 10/40 that has zinc in it. You would have to use an additive, or at least I would.

The only issue here again is with the 0 blurp in oil pressure. Everything else is fine. IMO

I would Run it the way that it is. If you KNOW that the oil pressure blurps to 0 than I would try adding more oil and see what happens. I would still think it would be the pickup causing the problem. Unless you blew up your other engine and BIG CHUNKS of metal got in the pump or oil passages..........I always use a NEW pump no matter how many miles were on the engine.. Cheap 50-$80.00 insurance. JMO

ok so I put the 2 quarts in=7 and the oil pressure is the same in gear and in park, but seems like its a little higher when i hold the gas too 1500-2000 then its at maybe 40-45psi and before i put the 2quarts in i held the gas at 4k and the oil sat at 40

Something isn't right with your oiling system. I am running a stock replacment pump and at a cold start I have 65 at idle then I slowly drops down to about 35 when warm. Cruising down the road once warm I am running about 50 psi. I am also running 20/50 VR1.

Did you pull your oil pump when you had your engine apart and possibly damage your oil pump seal causing a leak and loss of pressure?

Ok fill out this form.

What Wt. oil do you have in your car now?

How much oil do you have in your car now?

What is your oil pressure, cold at idle?

What is your oil pressure hot at idle?

What is your oil pressure hot a 50mph steady drive?

Something isn't right with your oiling system. I am running a stock replacment pump and at a cold start I have 65 at idle then I slowly drops down to about 35 when warm. Cruising down the road once warm I am running about 50 psi. I am also running 20/50 VR1.

Did you pull your oil pump when you had your engine apart and possibly damage your oil pump seal causing a leak and loss of pressure?
no but you know what, I did take the little black screws off too see if there was anything inside of it..maybe i didnt tighten them all the way or something?

and im going to try out 20w50

Ok fill out this form.

What Wt. oil do you have in your car now?

How much oil do you have in your car now?

What is your oil pressure, cold at idle?

What is your oil pressure hot at idle?

What is your oil pressure hot a 50mph steady drive?

1.straight 40
2. 7 qts
5. no clue didnt try it before I put extra 2 quarts in

1.straight 40
2. 7 qts
5. no clue didnt try it before I put extra 2 quarts in

I don't see a problem.

I would change the oil to 10-30 (I personally do not like 10-40). 5 quarts (I assume you have a standard pan).

Drive it and see if your oil pressure drops (takes a big dip) when you stop fast or corner hard.

If so put in an extra quart and try it again.

If it is fine with the extra quart I would just live with it.

If it still drops (takes a big dip) when you stop fast or corner hard, you defiantly have a pickup clearance issue. This will need to be corrected.

Your oil pressure is fine in my opinion. It is normal for oil pressure to be lower when the engine is hot and 30 psi hot idle is more than enough.

ok will try some different oil and new filter, ill call this oil thats in there right now another rinse cycle for the motor

-
Back