Who's got the starter wrench? 5/8" curved

-

64dart170

Reaction score
Why doesn't anyone still sell the curved "starter" wrenches? (you know combination with a "C" curve)????
I just got back from every store in town (not that big but still) nobody sells them, not even our sears store!
Another round of my luck! :thebirdm:

I gotone, but it is really old. Not sure what brand. I would guess MAC, Snap on or Matco would have one.

BUT, you could take a regular, long wrench and heat and bend to suit. I bought a set of line wrenches and 1st thing I did was heat and bent to get into where I needed

Good Luck

might check out Harbor Freight.com and see if they have it.

i ended up finding mine at the flea market. 5 bucks and i got them 7/16 thru 3/4

i ended up finding mine at the flea market. 5 bucks and i got them 7/16 thru 3/4
You know I was thinking about the flea a min ago. I aranged to borrow 1 in the AM, then to the fea on the week end!:cheers:

Why doesn't anyone still sell the curved "starter" wrenches? (you know combination with a "C" curve)????
I just got back from every store in town (not that big but still) nobody sells them, not even our sears store!
Another round of my luck! :thebirdm:

Do a search on "Obstruction Wrenches".
You'll turn up quite a few results.

take a smoke wrench to a straight one. i modify my tools for special purposes whenever the need be,s

I have old ones, from the 60's, but never need them, even with headers in the way. Get a rachet, and swivels, attack it from the front.

I didn't know they made such a thing.
I usually use a ratchet wrench. On the one in the back side, I use a 3/8 drive socket with a couple of extentions on it. I can only get a little bite on it, so I take it out first.

I've tried this before and had the dealer replace the starter. This makes the second time I have had everything off except the TOP bolt. There is only 1 on top & 1 on bottom. swivels & extensions? Yea right!! 64 dart 273 auto, no room, the starter itself blocks you from reaching even with swivels & extensions. Funny thing was, when the dealer was doing it I thought it was taking too long and I went out to the garage and saw 1/2 of the mechanics under my car helping with the starter! When my buddy yesterday handed me a chrysler starter wrench, 2 freeze out plugs and a special install tool and told me to get underthere and do it! I figured what can I do that 5 mechanics had trouble with??? LOL!
Anyway in an hour or so I will be on my way for that c shaped 5/8" cobination, starter, obstruction, pain in my a55, should have bought 1 in the 70's when they were everywhere wrench!! Can I get a WOOOHA Fle Market?

I got a cheap made in china wrench set I keep around just for things like that. They are junk and bend ez. So any time I need a special tool I just bend one up.

Quit trying to blow smoke up my A55, I'm too old to put up with it and old enough to call you out on it and not give a crap about it!!!!
I was alive when the car was built. Where were you? If you have never heard them called starter wrenches then you have never talked to a mechanic. Call them what you want but you would have heard of them if your head wasn't up you A55!!!
To those of you who have "never heard of that" and ONLY use swivel and extension , socket;
1: Don't you think I tried that first?
2: Have you done it with ONLY those tools on a
1964 Dart Auto with first Year run for V8 273 in a "COMPACT DART". Hey how bout that first year...... Y pipe, Y pipe conectors & studs, stering column, transmission support bracket, transmission lines, exhaust manifold, speedo cable, long starter stud at bottom, starter housing, different stering linkage pieces, torsion bar & bracket, ummmmmmm,,,,,,,,Edge of oil pan? All, the first time ever put together in one place at the same time in the history of the world?, and you ONLY used swivel & extension? BULL CRAP THROUGH A FAN!!
I ended up using a "C" wrench and the special "crysler tool" getting a half of a face of the bolt head at a time and switching wrenches between bites!!!
Sorry I sound a little crazy at the moment but I just came in from under the car and lost it when I read that!! LOL:toothy10:
But seriously, Give me a break you have not worked on this style of car with this application, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have, prove it!!
I still don't have it out, it has everything disconected and wouldn't fall out on a high speed jump!!! It's going back in, They can do that freeze out plug when they do the back ones at the tranny shop!
For those who have helped me with projects and have a little cooth in their people skills, I Thank You! I guess no one here will ever talk to me again...........:angry7:
To the others I just got 1 thing for Ya..:thebirdm:

You act like none of us have ever worked on a car before and had to dismantle half of it to get to one bolt before. If you don't want peoples advice based on there past experiances then don't ask for it.

You act like none of us have ever worked on a car before and had to dismantle half of it to get to one bolt before. If you don't want peoples advice based on there past experiances then don't ask for it.
Burntorange, my apologies to you for loosing it, but not directed to you. You have always been a help to me and mine even though I have not been here that long.
I know every one here does not do things on the cheap and easiest policy.
I am not a professional mechanic. But I have tried to help when I can, even though no one would ever follow my know nothing advise.
But who the heck would not have a tried a swivel and extension? Was just looking for good advise on where to get a frekin wrench, and I have received.
Have also received....
I will not bother any one again with any of my stupid questions or musings again. Thanks again Sir for your help and candor.
Good by All!!

Ouch! It did not sound like anybody was taking a shot at you 64dart170. Take a deep breath and think about this. You sound like an allright guy. Be Cool. My2

It ant no thing. I know you were just out working on your car and know what it is like when that f'ing bolt will not come out and you are so mad and frustrated. It happens to us all. I hope you find that wrench or some way to get that bolt out of there. Good luck to you.

Russell

64dart170, Sounds like you had one hell of a time with those starter bolts. Thanks for clueing me in on just how hard it is with all stock components. I have a 63 dart with a v-8 and headers. I can use the extension and socket on mine. I also have the mini starter. I'm not sure if going to a mini starter would give you better access or not. They can be found at the bone yard on late model trucks and SUV's. I'm pretty sure the v-8 and /6 starters are the same too.

I bought the wrench you are talking about in the early 90s from Snap-On when I started working on Diesels. In their book you will find it listed in the Diesel section.

Quit trying to blow smoke up my A55, I'm too old to put up with it and old enough to call you out on it and not give a crap about it!!!!
I was alive when the car was built. Where were you? If you have never heard them called starter wrenches then you have never talked to a mechanic. Call them what you want but you would have heard of them if your head wasn't up you A55!!!
To those of you who have "never heard of that" and ONLY use swivel and extension , socket;
1: Don't you think I tried that first?
2: Have you done it with ONLY those tools on a
1964 Dart Auto with first Year run for V8 273 in a "COMPACT DART". Hey how bout that first year...... Y pipe, Y pipe conectors & studs, stering column, transmission support bracket, transmission lines, exhaust manifold, speedo cable, long starter stud at bottom, starter housing, different stering linkage pieces, torsion bar & bracket, ummmmmmm,,,,,,,,Edge of oil pan? All, the first time ever put together in one place at the same time in the history of the world?, and you ONLY used swivel & extension? BULL CRAP THROUGH A FAN!!
I ended up using a "C" wrench and the special "crysler tool" getting a half of a face of the bolt head at a time and switching wrenches between bites!!!
Sorry I sound a little crazy at the moment but I just came in from under the car and lost it when I read that!! LOL:toothy10:
But seriously, Give me a break you have not worked on this style of car with this application, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have, prove it!!
I still don't have it out, it has everything disconected and wouldn't fall out on a high speed jump!!! It's going back in, They can do that freeze out plug when they do the back ones at the tranny shop!
For those who have helped me with projects and have a little cooth in their people skills, I Thank You! I guess no one here will ever talk to me again...........:angry7:
To the others I just got 1 thing for Ya..:thebirdm:

wait till ya want a 727 in there. then you can wrestle the bellhousing bolts too lol

heres an idea hou about a small hole in the firewall that a pop in body plug will fit. then you could reverse the bolt and use one an inch longer with a nut so you could draw it up to the bell housing from the back. thats how i access two of my trans bolts with a 727 in my swinger.

I feel his frustation, I tried removing that with extensions, wobble extensions and everything else, what a chore!. My biggest problem was the battery cable was wedge between the TTI exhaust and frame. I had to use two mirrors, bolt cutters, three wrenches, a file, and a screwdriver to get it out, Gotta take time off, come back to it later..

I don't understand, we all need help not BS, the guy ask about help, I thought that is what he should get, someone get bent out of shape, GROW UP

Bend the wrench and go for it, I do not bend my cheap wrenches since you want to get the bolt out, Bought a set of Craftsman line wrenches, bent them right up.

Hope he comes back

The hardest starter I have ever changed was on my brothers 69 GTS Dart 383 with 727. I spent the whole night working on it and when dad got home from work at midnight we were able to get it on with me under and dad on top. The top bolt on it was a Bit*h to get in.

I feel his frustration too but dang. Try and help a guy.:angry7:
I learned a couple of things from this post.

Good luck finding your wrench.

-
Back