Who's put a hellcat in an A-body ??

-

hellcat dart

Reaction score
i've been searching the web, but have not found much info on putting a hell crate in a dart/duster. lots of guys putting them in B & E bodies. The 2 a-body threads i've found they cut most of the fire wall out. my story : i have a 73 dart with a 408, 904 and a dana 60. car is mini tubbed and has a 6 point cage. i want to swap in a hell crate, and keep the 904,has anyone done something similar. are there any tips and tricks?

My dart , everyone likes pictures

23224A00-A521-4E8F-8757-87F38EB86DD1.jpeg

Keep the 904? Why? So you can see how many pieces you can turn it into?

Gas monkeys did it in an old episode and race the guys from roadkill I believe.

Gas Monkey did it without the ECU. Roadkill did it with the ECU. Maybe you can call the guy in the bedazzled jeans.

Keep the 904? Why? So you can see how many pieces you can turn it into?

Why the sarcasm?

Will it hold up to a Hellcrate engine? I’d guess that it wouldn’t last long but the OP is asking if anyone had done it.

Given that there’s already a pretty stout engine turning it, that’s almost definitely not a stock 904 so it’s not ridiculous.

@hellcat dart , I don’t know of anyone who has done it but I recall 500hp as about the most anyone would consider putting through a built 904. Maybe you know something we don’t but your best bet is probably to sell it while it’s still functional and put the money toward a 727 or ZF 8spd, T56, etc.

Why the sarcasm?

Will it hold up to a Hellcrate engine? I’d guess that it wouldn’t last long but the OP is asking if anyone had done it.

Given that there’s already a pretty stout engine turning it, that’s almost definitely not a stock 904 so it’s not ridiculous.

@hellcat dart , I don’t know of anyone who has done it but I recall 500hp as about the most anyone would consider putting through a built 904. Maybe you know something we don’t but your best bet is probably to sell it while it’s still functional and put the money toward a 727 or ZF 8spd, T56, etc.
I'm letting him know in a humorous way that it won't last long. The 904 transmissions were designed and built back before the current measure of horse power.......which is something anyone seldom talks about. They were not designed to transfer 700 plus NET horse power. IMO, if he wants to keep a three speed, he'd do himself a favor and go turbo 400.

I'm letting him know in a humorous way that it won't last long. The 904 transmissions were designed and built back before the current measure of horse power.......which is something anyone seldom talks about. They were not designed to transfer 700 plus NET horse power. IMO, if he wants to keep a three speed, he'd do himself a favor and go turbo 400.

I definitely agree with all of that. Reading that other comment with the humor in mind, it seemed a lot less hostile.

Do a lot of people run Turbo 400 transmissions? I have no problem with running a non-mopar transmission and I know they’re pretty good but I just never entertained the thought. What are the advantages over a 727?

I definitely agree with all of that. Reading that other comment with the humor in mind, it seemed a lot less hostile.

Do a lot of people run Turbo 400 transmissions? I have no problem with running a non-mopar transmission and I know they’re pretty good but I just never entertained the thought. What are the advantages over a 727?
It takes about HALF the money to build a turbo 400 to hold up to the same power that will break a race prepped 727.......much less a 904. Sure, I guess one could be built to "last". Buckey Hess ran a 904 in his Hemi 68 Barracuda. But the money it takes in comparison to a turbo 400.....plus they are much stronger. And yeah, it's a pretty popular swap in the high horse power ranges.

I can’t remember the screen name but one member did a Hellcat crate engine in a ‘67 Valiant. The trans is a manual 5spd. His pop painted my wife’s Cuda. Where are ya Steve?!?!

I currently working on it now. The cooling fittings for the inter cooler are what cause the fire wall issues. I went with a bigger blower with hope to combat this problem as the fittings are in a different location.

Rambo1_010522.jpg
Rambo2_010522.jpg

Not an A-body, but how about in a Rampage truck?
This is a buddy's project that's just about finished...

i didnt mod my firewall beside the charge pipe going threw it to my innercooler. i dont have the hc blower on it i run twins. i did open my trans tunnel up to fit an sfi reid 2pc proglide however.

20180808_211838.jpg

not sure a full mod on firewall is needed the issue is the cooling lines for the super charger on the back of the intake, but someone has a redesign for that and I think is on here. I have a spicy 5.7 that i run my Cope racing Trans behind. So far no issues and i have not been nice to it. I run either a drag radial or a slick pending on how i feel when i take it out and how energetic i am. takes it like a charm. I would really like to do the 8 speed, but I will save that for another year.

Earls offers a low profile intercooler fitting setup also

i've been searching the web, but have not found much info on putting a hell crate in a dart/duster. lots of guys putting them in B & E bodies. The 2 a-body threads i've found they cut most of the fire wall out. my story : i have a 73 dart with a 408, 904 and a dana 60. car is mini tubbed and has a 6 point cage. i want to swap in a hell crate, and keep the 904,has anyone done something similar. are there any tips and tricks?
I put a 6.1 modern Hemi in my Demon, not a Hellcat by any means but the hurdles are the same. I backed it with a T60 so modified firewall, fabricated my own tunnel, fabricated my own tranny mount, changed to modern tubular k frame, utilized Holley software. PM if you want and I can let you know some of the issues I ran into. They will be similar with crate motor. PS totally worth it!

the issues that will absolutely need addressed is...

steering column,
pass side inner fender for header and valve cover bolts(its tight),
alternator clearences
oil pan clearence and leakage from pan carefully installed before dropped into car,
transmission mount,
starter placement and clearence on block if driver side mounted

those are the big items. there are other little things that can be dealt with later on. like rad support and fans,wiring, battery location etc..

-
Back