why a Ford 9"?

-
As I recall, the 9" has an additional bearing to support the pinion?
There was a magazine article a while back, that discussed the difference. The 8 3/4 was right there in all aspects, with the exception of the additional bearing (I thought it was to support the pinion?)
He's right and they are cheaper to build no mopar premium

Go over to Moparts and ask the question.............I'll watch!!! LOL

Gryzynx, the 9" has an extra bearing to support it because it NEEDS it! LOL

Your spline count info is incorrect. I know, I own an original 69 dart swinger 340 4speed car w/8.75" rear end. It came with 30 spline axles from the factory...YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!

The gear selection argument is laughable. Exactly WHAT gear do ya NEED that's not available?..VERY GOOD POINT..

Even a 741 case is stronger than a 9"!!!..LOL....

Get the FACTS!!!
http://

Ya,just like my buddy in Florida said 9" S.U.C.K.....

I guess I got real lucky.I bought my Dart and it came with the A body 8 3/4 stock.Paid $300 for a running driving 70 Dart. :happy10:

These days you cant get a runner/driver for less than $1500.

Gryzynx, the 9" has an extra bearing to support it because it NEEDS it! LOL

Your spline count info is incorrect. I know, I own an original 69 dart swinger 340 4speed car w/8.75" rear end. It came with 30 spline axles from the factory.
Here's a replacement axle, for example:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=5639

Yup, my bad.

The 29 splines is the yoke, not the axles. That's what I get for being up too early!

Still, the Ford wins here with 31 spline axles, but I doubt that extra spline would make or break the deal. The statement initially posted was that the 8 3/4 was much stronger than the 9". This, I'd have an issue with as both axles are extremely strong. I'd still give the edge to the Ford, but that does not mean I'm looking for one to put in my Cuda. Thanks to retsud_043, I'll have an 8.25 under my car this summer.

okay, good to hear everyone's opinion on this. I understand choosing it for the price, availability, etc. in a budget build. but I've seen people build mopar stuff with money not being an issue and they choose the 9" almost every time. it almost seems like they think "the ring gear is bigger so it must be stronger!". but I think it's true to mopar form; not quite the biggest numbers, but a better design.

also, If i remember right, i think it was muscle car magazine or something like that did an article about drivetrains, and they said straight up the 8 3/4" was stronger. not to mention chevy put CHEAP clutches(or TC's in the case of an auto) behind their motors so you didn't blow your rear end or your tranny.
just my two cents, because I wouldn't know from experience, I just started driving...MOPARS!

Aftermarket support is not real limited on either unit anymore.
If you have an 8.75" already, I can't see it being much of a price difference in building one or the other...ya might even come out cheaper with the 8.75". It's not like you have to do much in the way of beefing it up...unlike the ford. Like it or not, believe it or not...the 8.75" IS stronger.

The spline count is not that big a deal either. If you are wanting it to be real strong, you will probably be adding either a spool or a locker and upgrading your axles. In that case, you have your choice...35 spline axles are readilly available.

If you are just buying one ready to run outright, the 9" will be cheaper.
Someone mentioned the difference in shaft size and the weight. The difference in shaft size is not where the extra strength comes form, it's the bigger bearings. The only difference the weight is gonna make is in handling (if any). It may actually help to have a heavier unit, since we are all nose heavy anyway...LOL
Performance-wise, the weight of the rear overall and the weight of the rotating assembly have virtually no effect. The difference in weight is not enough to make a difference in acceleration. This was tested a while back. Same car ran a few passes with an 8.75" and then they pulled it out and bolted in a Dana 60...ran the same numbers. I can't remember how much heavier the 60 is, but it outweighs both the 8.75" and the 9" by quite a bit.

Do your research and run what ya want...it's your car. Like I said earlier, I won't run a ford rear in my mopars.
Am I the only one that's sick of seeing a small block chevy in virtually everything? Boring azz motor! LOL

I watched a dana 60 pinion shaft get sheared in half from a mild 400 big block ford by simply pepping the gas pedal to the floor for a split second on dry pavement!.

strong rear end YES....most of the time.

they all ahve there weak points and strong points....it boils down to who can get what and if they want to stay original and what they want to spend.

If you think the 8 3/4 is hard to find in some parts over there, think of how much harder it is here in Australia, with 9" units being abundant. Still, I never considered a 9" for my cuda and am very happy that I came across an 8 3/4 (489 carrier, 3.23, open) from an Oz Dodge Phoenix (only Mopar over here that they were ever OEM in), had the housing shortened and springs perches relocated, new axles (from Dr Diff), found an excellent condition 741 3.55 geared suregrip, all new 11 x 2.5 inch brakes, and did all this for around $2000 AUD. I doubt I could have done a 9" for any less. So very happy that my drivetrain is all Mopar.

161020091204.jpg

One application specific item with an A body is gas tank clearance. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the 9" Ford in an A body creates some hassles here as does the Dana 60. 8 3/4, 8.25 and 7.25 fit no problems.

I've ran the 57-59 Ford 9" in several A-Bodies and had no clearance issues at all, in fact the Ford 9" out of the 57-59 Ford cars is a direct bolt in for the A-Body Mopars with no modification needed except drive shaft length, the perches are correct as well as the brake cables.

As far as strength, I see so many trying to compare apples to oranges in this thread. There are several different 9" Ford options as there is 8 3/4 options and if you try and compare any 8 3/4 to, lets say a WAR case 9" the 8 3/4 is stronger without a dought. But if you actually compare an 8 3/4 to the equivalent 9", the 9" is stronger hands down. Go to any drag strip from the late 50's till now and see what is under any of them? it's a 9" and it isn't because the 9" has more aftermarket options, it's because it was proven to be the strongest and that is why all these aftermarket companies started building aftermarket 9" rears.

If the 8 3/4 was so strong, why did mother Mopar stick a Dana in all the factory built Hemi cars? And if you want to compare Ford to Mopar, all Ford trucks as well as Dodge trucks prior to the mid 80's both used a Dana 60's in the 3/4 ton and 1 ton's

And to those that think if you need something stronger than the 8 3/4 then go with a Dana, you could if you want to ad 100+ pounds to your car over the weight of a 9" and not be able to switch gears at the track.

The 8 3/4 is a very good rear end and I have one in all my cars including my 50 Merc, with the exception of my blower car which I stuck with the 9" that was in it since 1969 by a previous owner.

Blownfish, the rears have been tested and the articles have been written..........but by all means, believe and run whatever you like. The extra weight had little to no effect on strait line performance.
I do not agree with you on your reasoning of why the 9" is most popular. Just look at the production numbers. Do you really think the people that are running 9" fords would be running them if they were less abundant or even more expensive? I don't. Do they have a good rep? Yes, but generally in built form. Stock they are good, almost as good as a 8.75" mopar rear. The 8.75" is not trying to push the pinion out the front of the case like the 9".
There is a difference in pinion location in relation to the ring gear...that in itself probably makes more difference than anything, especially efficiency. That is why the 9" has an extra bearing and why the aftermarket is littered with "better" pinion supports for a 9".

im not placing any opinions here since to be honest im not sure which is "better" or "stronger"...i will however point out that interestingly enough in a few issues of carcraft some brothers (in seperate issues) both have old chevy II's that seem like they could easily run 10's, and both interestingly enough have mopar 8-3/4 rears...i wish i knew their reasoning for using them

at the same time though, take a trip over to moparts and you will see guys bash the 8-3/4 left, right and center...

just stuff to think about lol

take a trip over to moparts and you will see guys bash the 8-3/4 left, right and center...

Ya,and just about everyone over there thinks their an Mopar expert:bootysha::bootysha:...

Nice, Syd!

DusterDude, sounds like it was defective.....

Nope it was solid as a rock....problem was that it was sitting on 35x12.5 rubber and it must have been to much traction and to heavy of a truck for that quick snap of the throttler and sheared it clean off.

Im no expert I know that.....but there are alot of guys here who really know what they are talking about!......then again...alot that want people to think they know what they are talking about lol.

I think you will find alot of that on most any forum though

Im no expert I know that.....but there are alot of guys here who really know what they are talking about!......then again...alot that want people to think they know what they are talking about lol.

I think you will find alot of that on most any forum though

Ain't that the truth, I'm on 14 or so different forums and they all seem to have at least one guy like that.

I do not agree with you on your reasoning of why the 9" is most popular. Just look at the production numbers. Do you really think the people that are running 9" fords would be running them if they were less abundant

The thing is the 8 3/4 is probably more abundant than the 9", 75% of the 9" rears were in trucks with the 5 1/2" bolt cir or in land yachts which most of them were coil spring and way too wide to use in anything without cutting it down and a lot of them had 5" bolt cir. The 9" rears in cars with 4 1/2" bolt cir are far and few between, most were 8" unless it was a muscle car like a big block Mustang or Cougar. Aftermarket 9" parts and third members may be more abundant but not complete usable 9" rears.

The thing is the 8 3/4 is probably more abundant than the 9", 75% of the 9" rears were in trucks with the 5 1/2" bolt cir or in land yachts which most of them were coil spring and way too wide to use in anything without cutting it down and a lot of them had 5" bolt cir. The 9" rears in cars with 4 1/2" bolt cir are far and few between, most were 8" unless it was a muscle car like a big block Mustang or Cougar. Aftermarket 9" parts and third members may be more abundant but not complete usable 9" rears.
i have had several Ford cars over the years, and not one of them had a 9" under it, all of them had an 8".

FYI - Taylor Golf carts used 9 in rear ends in them. He must have had the biggest collection of 9 in in the world. I don't think they use them anymore.

Golf carts, Fords, chevys it's all the same.

-
Back