why a Ford 9"?

-
i have a feeling that if someone were to say that the 7 1/4 were stronger than a 9" there is more than 1 member that will jump on board in agreement......after a while it is pretty obvious which members opinions/facts need to be taken at face value, which is there opinion.....and not necessarily the facts....

I'd say most people use a 9" much in the same way they build a 350 Chevy. Just about everybody has them and they are cheap..Thats about it. I'll stick to my Mopar parts myself and let the broke people settle for the cheapest thing they can get their hands on. :cheers:

I'd say most people use a 9" much in the same way they build a 350 Chevy. Just about everybody has them and they are cheap..Thats about it. I'll stick to my Mopar parts myself and let the broke people settle for the cheapest thing they can get their hands on. :cheers:
cheap? maybe a bit less than a Mopar rear end, but cheap, no. so more $$$$=better??

Cheap? Who is this guy? I have over a grand in my cheap 9". You guys what you want. Custom 31 spline alloy axles, nodular iron case, detroit locker and an Richmond gear set isn't cheap in my book. My opinion is that the 8 3/4, Dana and 9" are all legendary axles. Maybe my next project will have a 12 bolt. LOL! Nah

I think the hole discussion is pointless.....as said above, there all good rear ends.

alot of it just depends on the persons personal preference, availability of the rear end and availability of certain parts.

alot of guys say mopar or no car.
which is fine.....but Although I LOVE my mopars...I wont say that each top manufacturer hasnt made some nice vehicles or used some nice parts....they all had pros and cons to them ....yes even including some mopars.

its just my personal preference to own mopar.

I have an 8 3/4 rear end with 4.10 posi sure grip ....but thats not to say if I had a peg leg 7 1/4 and I found a 9" cheap I wouldnt swap out.

it boils down to what the person in the market for a rear end is "ok" with or "wants" or "can find and is in there price range" more than whats good and whats bad I guess

The gear selection argument is laughable. Exactly WHAT gear do ya NEED that's not available?

Actually it's not. As someone who has an 8.75 rear in my race car the selection is pathetic. You can only buy one pro gear, a 4.88 and that's if you can find that.

I've broken many 8.75's. Mostly the ring gears. I have the aluminum center section and it helps but I am still capable of breaking a standard street gear ring gear and my car is a small block. I can imagine what a healthy 500 cube big block could do.

The attraction of the Ford rear is it's ease of setup and weight when compared to a Dana and the aftermarket support for them. You can buy virtually any gear ratio in any material for the 9 inch. Yeah they weren't that great in stock form but the aftermarket has taken care of that and you can buy a bullet proof 9 inch now for nearly any application.

Would I put one in my car? I don't know at this point. If I build my new engine to it's full potential I may have to switch to a PG and a 9 inch. I don't want to though.

Actually it's not. As someone who has an 8.75 rear in my race car the selection is pathetic. You can only buy one pro gear, a 4.88 and that's if you can find that.

I've broken many 8.75's. Mostly the ring gears. I have the aluminum center section and it helps but I am still capable of breaking a standard street gear ring gear and my car is a small block. I can imagine what a healthy 500 cube big block could do.

The attraction of the Ford rear is it's ease of setup and weight when compared to a Dana and the aftermarket support for them. You can buy virtually any gear ratio in any material for the 9 inch. Yeah they weren't that great in stock form but the aftermarket has taken care of that and you can buy a bullet proof 9 inch now for nearly any application.

Would I put one in my car? I don't know at this point. If I build my new engine to it's full potential I may have to switch to a PG and a 9 inch. I don't want to though.

Now there's the man we needed to hear from!

Someone who has actually broken parts will know what works. I've never broken an 8 3/4 because I have never seriously abused one, but I did twist a few axles in 9" Fords in my mud racing days. 28 spline axles if anyone cares. I'd have to rank axle failures as the single most likely failure, followed by ring gears and pinion shaft failures bring up the rear.

I'm going with the apples and oranges here. And yes, I run both 8.75 and 8.25 rears in my cars.
BUT.....
Talking hot rods, modifieds, customs, drag cars, you are going to find more 9 inchers than anything. Put your micrometers down, close your gospel magazines and forget about your bearing load torsional stress charts. The fact of the matter is that to the rest of the world, the 9" is perceived as the best option.
Think about it. Back in the day, you could go to the boneyard and rape pretty much any Ford for it's beefy rear. You couldn't do that with any Mopar for it's Dana 60.
Now, you'll scream that the 8.75 is just as strong. Which might be true, but, it has never been billed as such, even from our dear Mother Mopar.
If you were building a high performance car, you wanted a high performance rear end.
Ford 9"
Chevy 12 Bolt
DANA 60

Those were the diffs of legend.
The Dana was the best but too few and too expensive
The 12 bolt? C'mon, really?
The 9" was/is abundant and cheap.

Economics, advertising and perception. If you look in the aftermarket today, you'll see virtually every street rod/custom chassis uses the Ford rear. It's just the way it is.

i have a feeling that if someone were to say that the 7 1/4 were stronger than a 9" there is more than 1 member that will jump on board in agreement......after a while it is pretty obvious which members opinions/facts need to be taken at face value, which is there opinion.....and not necessarily the facts....

Dude, the 7.25" is one of the most under-rated rears out there! I had one back in 88 in a dart. I could not destroy it and it simply would not rust away! Oh yeah....thats because I removed it from my car and SoCal weather is so dry that it just didn.t rust....lol

damn...didi I miss April fools day?....:-D

I guess it all really depends on what the budget is and what materials are at hand for me. Already have the mythical 8 3/4 A body diff so Im not looking elsewhere.

If I were on a budget I'd probably try a Ford 9" and end up spending more than I want. But thats the car building game.

Dude, the 7.25" is one of the most under-rated rears out there! I had one back in 88 in a dart. I could not destroy it and it simply would not rust away! Oh yeah....thats because I removed it from my car and SoCal weather is so dry that it just didn.t rust....lol

so was the dart a 1988?? did it have the famed 440 Hemi in it?? more details.....:toothy10::toothy10:

:-D There ya go.

Now there's the man we needed to hear from!

Someone who has actually broken parts will know what works. I've never broken an 8 3/4 because I have never seriously abused one, but I did twist a few axles in 9" Fords in my mud racing days. 28 spline axles if anyone cares. I'd have to rank axle failures as the single most likely failure, followed by ring gears and pinion shaft failures bring up the rear.

To be totally honest I should have just put a Dana in my Duster years ago. It was at the point where the car never made a full pass with the 4 speed in it. I was faced with either putting in a Dana or an automatic. I chose the auto for the lighter weight.

i think the better question here is how many more times is this topic going to get bought up, and then beat to death. i think who ever it was that started this should have just did a search first....

i think the better question here is how many more times is this topic going to get bought up, and then beat to death. i think who ever it was that started this should have just did a search first....
I did a search, I was just trying to figure out why people choose this over something of the same brand of car it's going into. I've done the research, and the bearing sizes, spline count and so on go to the 8.75". I just haven't had to choose one or the other, but I'd most likely choose the mopar over anything else because that's what kind of car it's going into. plus, just recently am I able to drive, let alone test two comparable rear ends.

everyone took this way too seriously. like I've said, i was just wondering why people would do this. to me it's like putting a chevy 350 into another brand. It just leaves me asking why and thinking "whoever built this didn't know what they were doing.".

Ok if were going with a 4-speed instead of an auto,in an a-body especially with slicks then i'd be using a dana..but i only run automatics,and the 8 3/4 built properly WILL hold up to just about anything you put in front of it, anything can break at any given time including the turd 9" rear...

I put in a brand new Currie 9" Ford because I wanted a 9" Ford!

-
Back