why cant we use B or E front disc?

-

7dart0

Reaction score
i have a 70 dart with 10" manual drums. i want to change to manual disc and want to know exactly what fits. i"ve read so much stuff on here im cross eyed. lol. thanks

tom

You have to change to '73 up spindles. The drum spindles have a different diameter spindle, so, the bearings are different.

Technically, once you switch to '73 up spindles, you could be using B or E body disks. '73 up E-body spindles are the same as '73 up A body spindles. Same rotors.

Regardless, unless you use a conversion kit (AR engineering, Scarebird etc), you have to change the spindles. Which also requires either changing to big ball joint upper control arms, or using the tapered adaptors that Dr. Diff sells to adapt the smaller ball joint to the later spindle, which has a larger taper for the larger ball joint.

The first brake swap I ever did we used 71 E-body spindles on a Duster for a Baer disc brake setup. It too required the 73 up style upper control arms.We got one of the first sets of tubular control arms from MagnumForce for the project.

well thanks that was easy. hopefully the restoration and finding the parts will be easy too.

i have a 70 dart with 10" manual drums. i want to change to manual disc and want to know exactly what fits. i"ve read so much stuff on here im cross eyed. lol. thanks

tom

I'm using FMJ front brakes on my 63 Dart. All you need are the FMJ brake assemblies, large ball joint upper control arms from 73-76 disc brake A bodies and the lower ball joint for the same application. Instant bolt on.

I'm using FMJ front brakes on my 63 Dart. All you need are the FMJ brake assemblies, large ball joint upper control arms from 73-76 disc brake A bodies and the lower ball joint for the same application. Instant bolt on.

Yep, you can use any of the FMJ stuff too, including the spindles. They have slightly different geometry than the '73 up A body spindles, but not enough for most people to even notice. And the change in geometry actually improves the camber gain while cornering, so you can argue they're actually better than a body spindles. This is pretty nice, because a lot of wrecking yards still have FMJ clunkers in their yards, you can pull the spindles and brakes off of some of those models all the way up to '89.

You can also use the larger 11.75" FMJ rotors if you get the caliper brackets to go along with them, they use the same spindles, control arms, and even calipers as the regular '73 up 10.97" rotors do for an A-body. You do need to have 15" rims though, as 14" rims will hit the calipers.

Here's a list of all the Mopars that use the same 10.98" rotor. You can also pull spindles and calipers off of any of these cars. Some will have pin type calipers, but if you grab everything from the spindle out you'll get the right caliper brackets. Some of them also had the 11.75" rotors from '76 to '81.

CHRYSLER CORDOBA (1975 - 1983)
CHRYSLER FIFTH AVENUE (1983 - 1989)
CHRYSLER IMPERIAL (1981 - 1983)
CHRYSLER LEBARON (1977 - 1981)
CHRYSLER NEW YORKER 1982
CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY (1978 - 1981)
DODGE ASPEN (1976 - 1980)
DODGE CHALLENGER (1973 - 1974)
DODGE CHARGER (1973 - 1976)
DODGE CORONET (1973 - 1975)
DODGE DART (1973 - 1976)
DODGE DIPLOMAT (1977 - 1989)
DODGE MIRADA (1980 - 1983)
PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA (1973 - 1974)
PLYMOUTH CARAVELLE (1978 - 1985)
PLYMOUTH CUDA (1973 - 1974)
PLYMOUTH DUSTER (1973 - 1976)
PLYMOUTH FURY 1975
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY (1982 - 1989)
PLYMOUTH SATELLITE (1973 - 1974)
PLYMOUTH SCAMP (1973 - 1976)
PLYMOUTH VALIANT (1973 - 1976)
PLYMOUTH VOLARE (1976 - 1980)

All you need are the FMJ brake assemblies, large ball joint upper control arms from 73-76 disc brake A bodies and the lower ball joint for the same application. Instant bolt on.

Plus new front wheels. Then carry 2 spare tires since your front and rear wheels will be different, unless you change to a BBP rear end (most do).

If you pay someone to do the work, or you fairly value your time (most of us don't), it seems more economical to use one of the front disk kits that adapt your existing drum spindles (Scarebird, Wilwood, ...). However, many other questions - is your front end new or does it require a rebuild anyway? Will your existing wheels clear the disk brakes? No 13" wheels will, some 14" will. Check this also for the BBP swap.

You might also consider the factory 4-piston disk setup for your year. A guy near me (Rancho Cordova, CA) advertises a complete, new-looking setup every year or so on ebay for ~$750. I think you still require 14" wheels. I would do that but I am thinking a more clever plan and parts for the 4-pistons are becoming rare. Still, a period correct system might make your car more valuable, though your fender tag won't match.

wheel size shouldnt be a problem as i bought 15" wheels for the car. and i do plan on changing the rear end as i dont think the 7 1/4 will hold up to a 360. i will call a couple local junk yards to see if they have any chrysler 5th aves.

..another caveat not mentioned is that i think after '75 the single piston diameter was increased from 2 5/8" to 2 3/4"..on slider style calipers,although i prefer pin style.

Thanks for all of the info everybody! My brother and I are putting together a 1971 dodge dart street/strip project and I've been wondering about the front disc brake conversion. We need to stick with manual brakes because we're planning on running the hooker super competition fender well headers and they will not work with a brake booster. Thanks again for the great information! I hope that everyone has a great day!

I have 75 sport spindles and I put them on with the calipers toward the back of the car. I've seen some guys put them on toward the front is there a difference?

I have 75 sport spindles and I put them on with the calipers toward the back of the car. I've seen some guys put them on toward the front is there a difference?

from the factory they were on the front. but you can put them in the rear with no issues.. on the rear they won't interfere with the 67-72 sway bar.

Okay the spindles are on 72 so that's really good to know. Thanks I appreciate it have a great day. abodyjoe

Okay the spindles are on 72 so that's really good to know. Thanks I appreciate it have a great day. abodyjoe

i'm referring to a 73-up big bolt style brakes.. the small bolt disc i don't know.. just so we are on the same page here..

-
Back