Why did I spin a main bearing?

-
Sounds reasonable to me. Only thing i could find a argument for would be if it was bound enough to stop the engine wouldn't it have sheared something in the process.....idk?

Hope he doesn't feel to bad about this, years ago i did a berrybush, rings and new bearing rebuild on a SBC and broke a piston ring about the same mileage as him. Took a chance and got about 3k miles out of it....oh well:)

I can see that also. If that metal shard was left over from machinng and trapped in oil pump I can see that also. Something went through the oil pump. I wished he had posted a picture of the pump housing.

attachment.php

Check the pick up screen.....
In my early motor 360 I had a pick up screen that had a plastic button in the center of the screen.

Long story short.... A valve stem seal made its way into the oil pump and froze the pump up and sheered the oil drive shaft off at 75 mph..... I herd the valves start rattling, but by then it was too late...
So I feel your Pain Mopar brother......

On the upside- you didnt really spin a bearing. You have crap in the oil system definately... But you didnt spin it.
My take - that peice of junk may be material sheared off a cam bearing when it was installed. Did you use the right installation tool for them? The cam bearings look like crap and the cam never spun right. Bearing material could get through the pump, and is soft enough to imbed or stick to itself. If the block never went to the machine shop, there could have been some crap still in the oil galleys too. Basically, I think it was just "a matter of time", unfortunately. But, it didn't strand you, destroy the block, or really break anything important. You're only out the few parts you put in last time. Buy a book or two, follow what they say to do, and you should be fine.

not sure, think its a high volume though. I know that's a mistake for the build i did but thats what the guy ordered for it when we built the engine

Was the gear pinned? those un pinned factory gears sometimes slip when used with a HV pump .

imo the bearings lost oil pressure, and might wanna check the journals for tapper.

.002 should have lived

When starting out as a kid...i assumed the shop cleaned out the galleys for me, i was wrong...all mains were washed out , lil/big copper grooves all over them, still rev'd 7k and never let loose though.
I dont believe 'unless u can show some down to the copper bearing' that u had a bunch of crap go through them.

RAMMs talking about one of the oil system mods for sustained rpms. Different year engines may have different sized oil feeds from the lifter galley to the main saddle. It's standard practice to enlarge them to 9/32" with a long drill.
are you talking about the galley/passage that goes from the front cam bearing to the front main bearing?

-
Back