Why do people do this? Waste!

-
yeah i know wat you guys mean and i do understand the flip for a buck thing my grandfathers like that and it pisses me off to no end. got my macho loaded up on the trailer the day i got and was driving home and some guy came to look at it and my grandfather said ill take a grand for it i about popped him in the face. granted wouldve been a 400 buck profit but i wanted the truck not the money damnit! idc if i make a profit or not i bought the macho PW cause i wanted one i bought the 71 dart cause i wanted one id like to be a collector. but im not rich so i collect the ones that need fixed lol. my grandfather thinks its about making money but its not its a hobby make your money someplace else i says and you are right about barret jackson. in an area here theres a cuda the vin says its a 440 six pack 4 spd, has a 383 auto in it no paint on it, pos wheels and he thinks its worth 20 grand! then we found a new junk yard and i seen a fast back mustang just a shell no glass no doors no panel at all the 4spd pedals says its a k code car and he 5 grand for the shell!

Maybe drive up in a new car/truck(cheap one)and offer to trade on the spot.Sometime visual offers change ones mind.=D>

Ask him if he has any parts for sale, or to trade- and go there in a Mopar. Tell him about your junk and the idiots who try to pry the stuff from you.

People like this don't want to listen to offers when in their minds you are only trying to flip it for a buck and have no interest in the cars.

I know a guy like that, and good thing I met him when I was broke, because I wasn't asking to buy, only for help with knowledge and parts.

I know its not true for everyone, some people are just jerks, but I'm thinking most are attached to these cars and the value is not monetary.

The money to restore them is ridiculous, and guys like this say they will because that is what they are bombarded with- restore!

My brother has a 71 Challenger, and it sat for years because he was going to restore it- never happened. After much verbal abuse from me, I finally went over there and informed him that we were not going to restore it, but we were going to make it road worthy and start driving it.

Its ugly with crappy paint and plain jane tires and hubcaps, but he is driving it, and that is what really matters.

Go ask the guy if you can help him get one back on the road- looking as is.
This is the "idea" i was looking for when I posted this. It's a mental game and was not sure how to play. I will try it. really, I don't care if I get any of them. Just trying to save them.

It's not a game, or a psychological challenge. A lot of people get really tired of people stopping by and acting like they're doing that person a favor by "saving" the car. I've seen it a bunch of times where someone stops by and tells the owner that they're just ruining something, and they should give it to them so they can rescue it. They're rude and aggressive. Many people have plans for the cars, or they have a child or relative that wants it, but isn't old enough, or doesn't have the money yet. Maybe they know someone else that has been promised the car. Who knows? The people that I've known that were successful at scoring a neat car actually gave a crap about the people that had the cars. They spent time with them, helped them out, etc. Just stopping by and asking to buy the car over and over comes across as selfish. Who wants to deal with that?

A lot of times, the people that I've seen stop, show up in some sort of clap-trap POS. They get out and want a car way nicer than their own. It doesn't really give the owner confidence that the car will be treated any better than it is in the current state.

Well the bottom line is, they can do whatever the hell they wanna do with their cars the same as we can do with ours. Whether they have dogs or not doesn't give anybody the right to "walk around" on their property, either. That's trespassing. It's unfortunate that people do that, but that's how it is.

My 72 Challenger 340 with a 18 spline hemi 4 speed trans sat for many years. I ended up putting a NOT FOR SALE sign on it. I tried to keep it out of the public eyes view.

I would still have people ask. After years of thinking I would restore it and seeing it rot to the point i was afraid to move it. The left rear frame rail was rusted almost completely thru, and to think I had been taking it out and doing holeshots with it.

Well I finally decided to sell it. Original 340, plus the parts I had to fix it. Sold it for what i paid for it 17 years earlier. Only to find out they started reproduction of many of the parts needed to restore it right after I sold it.

OH WELL, if I want another Challenger I would rather start with one that didn't have rust in the a pillars, radiator support wall, rear frame rails, no trunk floor ................ on and on and on with the rust.

Have tried to buy a 62 Corvette that the guy bought in 1970 and he claims it had 300,000 miles on it. For the past 15 or 20 years it has been sitting in his back yard, under a tree, with a tarp over it.

Their cars, sometimes seeing it means more than the money, even if they could really use the money.

Talked to the guy that has my 71 Cuda convertible today. The guy has lots of cars and ask if he has sold any. he said no and that his grandkids will get them

-
Back