Why does Dodge go cheap with their steel?

-
My '92 Dakota has no rust issues, despite being a plow truck. Its big problem is the common 1990's-2000's garbage base coat/clear coat.

The 5.2L Magnum wiped out the cam and roller lifters around 212,000 miles, but I didn't want to get rid of the truck because it was solid. So I replaced the Magnum engine with a Turbo Diesel swap.
wow, a '92 Dakota with a turbo diesel.... bet that's torque :D

What did you install a cummins 4BT. Yes a 4BT its like a shorter 4 cylinder version of the 12V 6BT

BTW those 6BTs were really designed for stationary military grade generators. Dodge adapted them to trucks.

They use the 4BTs in fedex box trucks.

I used to work in a plant that made automotive stampings for the Big Three.
The oem can specify steel made to a certain "recipe". They picked stuff that was cheap. Some cheaper than others. Take the Chevy Vegas for example. They rusted out before they got to the dealer!
American cars got better when the Japanese made a better product and the Big Three had to step up some. Japanese cars were more expensive, but the Big Three knew people would spend less and they didn't make them too much better. Japan didn't make full size pickups for a while, so the Big Three didn't worry. Now you can buy a full size Japanese pickup, so I expect American pickups have improved, like the cars did.
My wife's '07 Accord has zero rust issues (no issues, for that matter), and we live at the Jersey shore. As long as people still buy stuff that isn't made well, they have no incentive to make them better.

Got a company 2013 Dodge minivan. It now has 52,000 miles on it and it has 2 HUGE rust bubbles on the leading edge of the hood on either side of the raised section. I am not too worried about it as it is still company vehicle and I am getting a new one in about 5 months but it is unbelievable, 4 years and 52,000 miles it's rusted.

wow, a '92 Dakota with a turbo diesel.... bet that's torque :D

I'll let you know, I ordered exhaust parts, shocks and a shifter for it. That's all she needs to drive again.

What did you install a cummins 4BT. Yes a 4BT its like a shorter 4 cylinder version of the 12V 6BT

BTW those 6BTs were really designed for stationary military grade generators. Dodge adapted them to trucks.

They use the 4BTs in fedex box trucks.

I couldn't afford a 4BT at the time. A friend offered me a low mileage Mercedes 5 Cylinder Turbo Diesel, with transmission, accessories, wiring, etc for less than the cost of a junkyard 318. Engine ran fine, but the vehicle fell apart around it. So I dropped the Merc 5 Banger in, sold my A518 Torqueflite for what I had originally paid for the whole truck (Running and driving), sold some more parts that I no longer needed and in the end I ended up with a Turbo Diesel Dakota that paid me $200 after accounting for everything.

image_zpsshkahb3x.jpg

It reuses the factory V8 Tachometer (I modified the crank pulley to act as a reluctor and made a bracket to hold the original Dakota pickup in place), reuses the factory Dakota Radiator, Modified the motor mount brackets to use Cummins Motor Mounts.

For now it's a stock Merc 5 Banger Turbo Diesel. In the near future, I'm going to add a Supercharger to it (Compound Super-Turbo) and modify/crank up the injector pump.

I used to work in a plant that made automotive stampings for the Big Three.
The oem can specify steel made to a certain "recipe". They picked stuff that was cheap. Some cheaper than others. Take the Chevy Vegas for example. They rusted out before they got to the dealer!
American cars got better when the Japanese made a better product and the Big Three had to step up some. Japanese cars were more expensive, but the Big Three knew people would spend less and they didn't make them too much better. Japan didn't make full size pickups for a while, so the Big Three didn't worry. Now you can buy a full size Japanese pickup, so I expect American pickups have improved, like the cars did.
My wife's '07 Accord has zero rust issues (no issues, for that matter), and we live at the Jersey shore. As long as people still buy stuff that isn't made well, they have no incentive to make them better.
Back in the late 60s and 70s thru the early 80s the japanese made well built cars that were (cheap) read inexpensive except forvthe crappy steel. Since their entire industry relied on importing raw materials and exporting finished vehicles. Costs are cut somewhere. Thinner steel, thinner vinyl upholstery, no galvanizing etc. The second reason for that is even though japan is an island surrounded with salt air and all that brings, their insurance rates go up as the cars age forcing them to trade them in by the 3rd year of ownership and buy another to keep their industry humming. The decent used cars are sold to 3rd world hell holes as used cars, the rest are recycled down.

They brought them here not realizing that we tend to keep vehicles longer. I remember my brother wanting a 79 lil red express when these were new and couldent afford the price tag. A 79 toyota SR5 short bed pickup cost half that, and thats what he bought. It had been rustproofed and undercoated at the dealer before he picked it up. They still only warrented it for 1 year on rust thru. In 3 years the bed had rust holes forming in it, and the chrome was peeling off the factory rear step bumper, but the engine still ran like a swiss watch. The cars and trucks they brought over were cheaply made with good drivetrains in them.

As their sheetmetal quality went up, and they developed a following of customers, the prices steadily increased.

However you are right. The american car makers thoughts in the 70s were we make cars, we are the only game in town, you "have to buy from us" , except that the japanese and germans also made cars too. These fit together better, the engines ran great, they got good gas mileage, **** didnt fall apart, or break. In other words they put some care into what they built.

They forced american companies to get better quality or die. Everything rusts though even the vaunted honduh accord.

Last edited:
The second reason for that is even though japan is an island surrounded with salt air and all that brings, their insurance rates go up as the cars age forcing them to trade them in by the 3rd year of ownership and buy another to keep their industry humming.

Yep, I remember the ads in the 80's for Japanese engines with less than 30,000 miles on them...cheap. We put one in a Mazda GLC in high school auto shop.

They still sell em with low kilometers on them. the ads say JDM engines.

Heres the craziness though. If you own an american or european car in japan your insurance rates go down every year. Their theory is that you will probably buy another american or european car so theres no incentive there.

Also american car companies pay a hefty import tax in japan, and are not allowed to advertise their products in japanese over there.

We should do the same here. So how do you say "Oh what a feeling to drive a toyota" in japanese ??

Last edited:
Back in the late 60s and 70s thru the early 80s the japanese made well built cars that were (cheap) read inexpensive except forvthe crappy steel. Since their entire industry relied on importing raw materials and exporting finished vehicles. Costs are cut somewhere. Thinner steel, thinner vinyl upholstery, no galvanizing etc. The second reason for that is even though japan is an island surrounded with salt air and all that brings, their insurance rates go up as the cars age forcing them to trade them in by the 3rd year of ownership and buy another to keep their industry humming. The decent used cars are sold to 3rd world hell holes as used cars, the rest are recycled down.

They brought them here not realizing that we tend to keep vehicles longer. I remember my brother wanting a 79 lil red express when these were new and couldent afford the price tag. A 79 toyota SR5 short bed pickup cost half that, and thats what he bought. It had been rustproofed and undercoated at the dealer before he picked it up. They still only warrented it for 1 year on rust thru. In 3 years the bed had rust holes forming in it, and the chrome was peeling off the factory rear step bumper, but the engine still ran like a swiss watch. The cars and trucks they brought over were cheaply made with good drivetrains in them.

As their sheetmetal quality went up, and they developed a following of customers, the prices steadily increased.

However you are right. The american car makers thoughts in the 70s were we make cars, we are the only game in town, you "have to buy from us" , except that the japanese and germans also made cars too. These fit together better, the engines ran great, they got good gas mileage, **** didnt fall apart, or break. In other words they put some care into what they built.

They forced american companies to get better quality or die. Everything rusts though even the vaunted honduh accord.

a familiar story. I recall the British and American motorcycle industry never took Honda too seriously in 60s. Same attitude from both .
The oil leak free, electric start, disc brake equipped reliable 1970 cb750 sohc 4 sure changed the game forever.

Yep, they rust out like crazy. I see new dodge trucks with rust holes, and I'm really not sure why. Not enough under coating? Painter failing to paint entire under side of bed? who knows. Shameful indeed.
they dont under coat them period. They want to charge extra at the dealerships to do that now. My jeep came completely without undercoating. I ended up working it into the sales contract and got a decent deal to have it done.

I have a 2010 ram 1500. I use the heck out of this truck but keep it very well maintained. I have zero rust what so ever. My friends 2011 f-150 has rust on the rockers and the doors. The last gen Rams did rust out prematurely in my opinion, but this current gen seems to be holding up very well. They all rust. The new aluminum fords won't now, but from all the problems I've seen with people who have them, I would not want one. This current Gen Ram is way above the current Gm trucks and light years ahead of the past f150.

I have been looking at trucks now for a couple months and I have mainly been interested in Fords but I figured I would check out a few Rams as well. Last night I looked at a 2013 1500 with 56k miles. The truck was perfect. EXCEPT for three rust bubbles on the bed. This truck is not even 5 years old and already has rust on it. That is shameful.

That's so you have to buy a new one after the warranty expires....

-
Back