Why does everyone assume I'm rich or have a huge budget

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
Every time I call someone looking for parts and I say I'm building a pro-touring car it seems like they assume I am loaded or working out of someone else's check book. I can hear it in their voices over the phone, the tone of voice changes from a why are you bothering me by calling to how can I serve you my master. I don't have a huge budget as a matter of fact I basically ***** myself to buy parts for my car. Is it the word pro-touring?

Pretty sure it's just the words "Pro-Touring"... The builds everyone reads about sound like a millionare threw 100k at an already expensive car. So that's what everyone seems to assume...

i don't ever tell venders too much about a build ,unless it's neccessary,the more expensive parts on your ride the more they think you are willing to spend without a care as to $$$$.pro touring gives you visions of big brakes ,wheels high end susp parts etc.all very costly so they get dollar signs in their eyes...

i don't ever tell venders too much about a build ,unless it's neccessary,the more expensive parts on your ride the more they think you are willing to spend without a care as to $$$$.pro touring gives you visions of big brakes ,wheels high end susp parts etc.all very costly so they get dollar signs in their eyes...
When I called to order my wheels that was the guys attitude. I told him I wanted the Eagle 225's and he tries selling me wheels that were $2200 each because they would fit better with the theme of my car he said. He sent me a picture and they looked like they belonged on a mercedes.

yep... ask them for discounts!

Oh they Love that too. I have a bit of an advantage though since I was in the business for so long I actually know a good deal of guys at most manufacturers so when they try hitting me with crap I can't afford I ask for my guy.

When I called to order my wheels that was the guys attitude. I told him I wanted the Eagle 225's and he tries selling me wheels that were $2200 each because they would fit better with the theme of my car he said. He sent me a picture and they looked like they belonged on a mercedes.
**** 2200 a wheel!you wouldnt want to flog that car much!when i think pro touring i'm thinking driving it hard .and i have seen some weels they make now come apart from the stresses of more or less road raceing.and all the wheel companies make some damn ugly wheels nowdays.couple good looking models and a bunch of ugly crap.esp for our type of cars.....

plus who the hell is he to tell you it fits the theme better,of your car...what a lame!!!!!

**** 2200 a wheel!you wouldnt want to flog that car much!when i think pro touring i'm thinking driving it hard .and i have seen some weels they make now come apart from the stresses of more or less road raceing.and all the wheel companies make some damn ugly wheels nowdays.couple good looking models and a bunch of ugly crap.esp for our type of cars.....

less than a hundred a wheel lol...

Attachments

• 100_5783.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 295
I like those wheels,was looking at those for mine.Went traditional race mag wheel look.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a 2200 dollar wheel, LOL.

Pretty sure it's just the words "Pro-Touring"... The builds everyone reads about sound like a millionare threw 100k at an already expensive car. So that's what everyone seems to assume...

There's your answer. Next time tell them you're working on a POS Duster and see if their attitude is different. I never brag on my car especially when I'm trying to buy something from someone.

A wise man once told me always make people think you're a poor broke bastard and they won't expect you to buy lunch!!

There's your answer. Next time tell them you're working on a POS Duster and see if their attitude is different. I never brag on my car especially when I'm trying to buy something from someone.

A wise man once told me always make people think you're a poor broke bastard and they won't expect you to buy lunch!!

I try to only tell the details they need, however, when ordering my axles they asked me street or race and I said neither that it was a cruiser/pro touring build and they started talking full floater axles and quick change hubs and I was like whoa whoa I didn't say nascar.

Instead of pro-touring tell 'em you're building a "LeMons" $500 racer out of a slant six Dart.

less than a hundred a wheel lol...

I love the nice gloss black wheel on the old rusty brakes. Seriously, I'm not talking trash. Do you know how many kids these days think your car is fast if it has new this and new that? Money making sleepers is my direction.

I try to only tell the details they need, however, when ordering my axles they asked me street or race and I said neither that it was a cruiser/pro touring build and they started talking full floater axles and quick change hubs and I was like whoa whoa I didn't say nascar.

Sounds like the salesmen get $$$ in their eyes when they hear certain keywords like pro-touring or crate Hemi !!!!

You never know how many of the sales people work on a commission
so the more they can get you to spend the more they make.

Big $$$$ sales also helps keep the doors open so they have a place to work.

Just tell them you are on a limited budget and
if you overspend your wife will haunt them.

-
Back