Why does my car feel sluggish?

-
Hang in there,man.Everyone here at least cares.Good luck,my build is a twin to yours.Fix that timing and dist,first.My curved dist is 15 initial at idle,[email protected] tried and true 750 holley double pumper.Your cam is similar specs.Mine is snappy as hell,for what it is.

ok so here is where i'm at as of today and i think the issues are *almost* solved.

I fixed the throttle linkage. Prior to the adapter it would get full throttle with no kickdown, and before i adjusted the throttle, with the adapter, it was getting full kickdown with half throttle.

I have the initial timing at about 12 degrees, but once i get those recurve parts for the distributor, i'm gonna bump it back up to 16 degrees. The car just runs 10x smoother at 16 degrees.

Lastly, after some research i found that edelbrock secondaries for this carb are vaccum actuated. So i checked them with the engine running and likely pissed off all my neighbors. One jumped alternator belt later and i found that it opens.(i need to address this next)

I took it out with this setup and got into it, its not remotely sluggish and feels closer to how i was expecting.

So next up is just gonna be those recurve pieces, new belts/smaller alternator, and then it should be ready for some track shake-down passes.

edit: also forgot, i used the piston stop and found that the balancer TDC is correct.

Nice. A fully opening carb does wonders for performance. Get the 16* on it for initial and reset the carb idle adjustment, speed and mixture screws and it will run better down low.

Get that trans kickdown adjusted properly and the shifting should improve when in "D". I'm guessing you can run it up when manually shifting it.

If the carb is bone stock, it's likely pretty lean. If you decide to keep it, get some metering rods with a smaller power section diameter to get the performance side of things going. OR, toss a 750 Holley on it!

Nice. A fully opening carb does wonders for performance. Get the 16* on it for initial and reset the carb idle adjustment, speed and mixture screws and it will run better down low.

Get that trans kickdown adjusted properly and the shifting should improve when in "D". I'm guessing you can run it up when manually shifting it.

If the carb is bone stock, it's likely pretty lean. If you decide to keep it, get some metering rods with a smaller power section diameter to get the performance side of things going. OR, toss a 750 Holley on it!

Well the Carb is gonna get tossed, but i'm not sure when. For now i'm working on just getting it to run well on this edelbrock.

Ideally i'd like to swap out to a megasquirt TBI efi system, but that's gonna take some time to gather parts.

Shifting actually seemed to have improved with that cable adjusted and the adapter. When i let into the car earlier, it was shifting at about 4k, which still isnt perfect, its atleast getting into the powerband a bit.

-
Back