Why does my car hate me ?

-

jomoper

Mope or Nope
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So over the last several years.I’ve tried to get my Dart completed. And it’s just fought me every step of the way. From flattened cam lobes to a mis-machined block that caused a coolant leak at the intake I finally decided 2023 will be the year I part with this pita . So I go to fire it up as to move it out of the garage to clean it up. The battery is dead and wont take a charge . Great a trip to the auto parts store and a hundred something bucks later. I start the car. It starts right up then after a minute begins chugging and dies. Try to restart it and nothing. Strong smell of gas… seems as though the needle was stuck possibly from varnish idk. Now the plugs are fouled . I’m sure I’m gonna need to change the oil cause it’s diluted. I’ve never had such bad luck with a car. Maybe it needs an exorcism. Jeez I’m tired of this. I guess the one thing is this is one vehicle I will not miss when it is gone! Just had to vent

Sounds to me it needs a better mechanic, not a better car. All of us have problems. All of us.

How old are you? I'm 74, and believe you me THAT really puts a crimp into bending over, stooping, squatting, crawling, "getting around" all the stuff you need to access.

Sounds to me it needs a better mechanic, not a better car. All of us have problems. All of us.

How old are you? I'm 74, and believe you me THAT really puts a crimp into bending over, stooping, squatting, crawling, "getting around" all the stuff you need to access.
Yeah, you're tellin me. I'm almost 20 years your junior, but man, I've put my poor old body through stuff I never should have. I got the T18 four speed transmission, bellhousing flywheel and clutch all bolted on the 400 going in Gladys and lemmie just say I am one WHOPPED pup. That transmission AIN'T no lightweight. I didn't pull my back, luckily, but it's tight.

If it was easy everyone would have one...
I've got a mental problem/sickness that doesn't let my brain shut off until it's right...
I tell people "I don't have a lot of give up in me"...
Likely though I'm just crazy.... :realcrazy:

If it was easy everyone would have one...
I've got a mental problem/sickness that doesn't let my brain shut off until it's right...
I tell people "I don't have a lot of give up in me"...
Likely though I'm just crazy.... :realcrazy:
94E76D68-7055-4108-9CF5-55AB458BB76D.gif

Ma Mopar makes you work for it. Yes we all have been there.

@jomoper what is your car, engine, intake manifold and carburetor setup?

Just curious of your layout? Those stock 50 year old 318 2 bbl carbs are known to leak gas and get plugged up from old fuel.

I got rid of the factory stock gas leaking 2 bbl on my '69 318 Satellite and put on an electric choke 1406 Edelbrock 4 bbl.

It was night and day difference on how much nicer it ran and started. Plus the advantage of the 4 bbl secondaries for added performance when wanted.

One other huge advantage is to swap out the original starter for the newer style high torque mini starter that spins the engine over much faster and drains less juice from your electrical system so that your ignition also works better.

Starts quick like it has fuel injection with the simple carb and mini starter upgrade, on a stock original engine.

Clean gas tank and clean fuel supply are a must.

Getting the right setup and you be smiling.

20190504_095631.jpg

Screenshot_20221103-070951_Firefox.jpg

Edelbrock Carbs

20180305_193229.jpg

Pictured here on a '67 383, starting and running nice.

PS:
Our cars are always worth a lot more money when it comes time to sell, when they start and run nice.

Good Luck on your project.

☆☆☆☆☆

For those asking I’m in my late 50’s . Turned wrenches in different trades but never as an auto mechanic . Though I was raised by a father who was a mechanic that worked in an engineering lab . Working with diesel trucks. Grew up rebuilding engines “mostly” and doing all manner of repairs under my fathers guidance.Have had and rebuilt a few mopars including a 68 satellite ,74 Roadrunner,70 cuda,and a 72 Demon. I just never had so many problems in one single vehicle. Mostly it’s the crappy quality of parts and or lubricants and fuel these days that seem to cause the most issues for me.

It’s a mostly stock 360 .030” over stock bottom end mild cam . Edelbrock intake summit 600 vs carb. I think my mistake was letting it sit too long. It’s been a little cold only high 30’s but a lot of moisture. We’re getting a fair amount of rain this year. Think that gummed up the carb. Although it didn’t look too bad I did see some sort of debris in the tube that houses the needle/seat. And yea I told myself this was the last car I would build. No more laying on the cold cement for this guy.

this reminds me of a guy I know that has a boat. he loves that boat. he loves everything about it, how it looks, how it sounds, how it feels out on the water. hell, he even like how it looks towing it or just sitting in his driveway.

but, like you, he swears the boat hates him. it's always something with it. the batteries are dead. the carbs are gummed up. the trailer has a flat. it's too much money to fill the tanks. the lake is too far away.

and he always swears that he's gonna sell it, and then in spring it shows up in my driveway for the fluff-n-fold fuel system rebuild, batteries and trailer maintenance.

the dirty secret is, if he showed it a little love, it'd love him right back.

Tops come off the carbs easy so you can clean and blow them out, new fuel filter and good to go again.

Want to make sure all the passages are blowing clean with the idle enrichment screws out. A little carb cleaner from the top side is your friend.

Screenshot_20210416-214121_Gallery.jpg

Not too bad for a 3+ year old carb. Definitely some junk in the bottom of the bowls. Need to get some carb cleaner. Does the rear float (on the right in the pic) look off?

BB9D68B2-6FD4-49D7-A497-A1386943B989.jpeg

8CE99753-D51C-43AB-9F82-4949A0738F7D.jpeg

Looks Good.

We set the the float height on the Edelbrock carburetors with a 7/16 drill bit.

Here is a YouTube on how it is done. There may be a video online for your particular carb also.

Let us know how it runs when you get done.

☆☆☆☆☆

I use nothing but non ethanol fuel with a splash of race fuel in my duster... Seems to help with keeping the carburetors from trouble, but I do keep it in a warm garage as well...

Ma Mopar makes you work for it. Yes we all have been there.

@jomoper what is your car, engine, intake manifold and carburetor setup?

Just curious of your layout? Those stock 50 year old 318 2 bbl carbs are known to leak gas and get plugged up from old fuel.

I got rid of the factory stock gas leaking 2 bbl on my '69 318 Satellite and put on an electric choke 1406 Edelbrock 4 bbl.

It was night and day difference on how much nicer it ran and started. Plus the advantage of the 4 bbl secondaries for added performance when wanted.

One other huge advantage is to swap out the original starter for the newer style high torque mini starter that spins the engine over much faster and drains less juice from your electrical system so that your ignition also works better.

Starts quick like it has fuel injection with the simple carb and mini starter upgrade, on a stock original engine.

Clean gas tank and clean fuel supply are a must.

Getting the right setup and you be smiling.

View attachment 1716028340

View attachment 1716028341

Edelbrock Carbs

View attachment 1716028342

Pictured here on a '67 383, starting and running nice.

PS:
Our cars are always worth a lot more money when it comes time to sell, when they start and run nice.

Good Luck on your project.

☆☆☆☆☆
I'd ditch that fire trap air cleaner if it were me, had 2 of them catch fire from a small backfire, hell of a way to lose a nice car.

I'd ditch that fire trap air cleaner if it were me, had 2 of them catch fire from a small backfire, hell of a way to lose a nice car.
Yeah once that sponge gets gas on it and get caught on fire and gets sucked back down in your carburetor it's curtains... I don't even think those things should be legal....
I had to unlock your post as the person you quoted I have on ignore. How he's associating his two barrel to four barrel with this guy's four barrel and now going on to a starter... Well anyways LOL back to these carburetor issues LOL..,
I mentioned using non-ethanol gas especially in something that's not used all the time my lawn mowers my hot rods my snowmobiles that s*** all summer long.. my old truck I just restored I put regular ethanol gas in as I drive it all the time or at least as much as I can... If something's going to set for time I always put non-ethanol in it I don't need that ethanol attracting water and causing havoc in my small passages... Well not a guarantee it sure does seem to help...

I'm assuming the op was just venting and not really wanting to sell his car but just wanting it to fire up and take off and have fun when he wants to..,

Yeah once that sponge gets gas on it and get caught on fire and gets sucked back down in your carburetor it's curtains... I don't even think those things should be legal....
I had to unlock your post as the person you quoted I have on ignore. How he's associating his two barrel to four barrel with this guy's four barrel and now going on to a starter... Well anyways LOL back to these carburetor issues LOL..,
I mentioned using non-ethanol gas especially in something that's not used all the time my lawn mowers my hot rods my snowmobiles that s*** all summer long.. my old truck I just restored I put regular ethanol gas in as I drive it all the time or at least as much as I can... If something's going to set for time I always put non-ethanol in it I don't need that ethanol attracting water and causing havoc in my small passages... Well not a guarantee it sure does seem to help...
I use non ethanol fuel in anything that doesn't get run frequently.

I am just 69, but am starting to lose the patience that I once prided myself on. I agree that the Quality of workmanship of new parts is just not there anymore, and that frustrates me. I thought I might mellow out after retirement, but that seems to be a pipe-dream. I am still strong, and in very good health, and still well-able to work on the floor. But getting motivated is a problem. So then, after physicing myself up, to go do something in the shop, and to then get frustrated right away, well, if I was a man given to swearing, some days, the whole neighborhood might be cringing.
So then, I put my tools down, and go back into the house.
Welcome to the Golden Years, the checks keep coming at the end of the month, whether or not I am working. I guess I'll take my dog for a walk, and try again later........ lol.

BTW, I recently bought a plain old Group 24 lead-acid battery for my 68 Barracuda, as the Optima from year 2000 finally wouldn't take a charge anymore. $235.00 retail/ WITH exchange, Plus 13% taxes= $265 Canadian . .
I thought I had sold the car, so my plan was to include the battery, no big deal I thought. Well The guy never showed up, so you better believe I took the old girl for a spin around the block. Well , when I got back, I noticed that old familiar 340 sound, and sure enough I got a rod bearing tap-a-tapa, so
I feel your pain, OP.
Ima keeping that battery for my DD, lol.

Sorry to hear that, I can see where you guys get backfires from the valve overlap at idle from your camshaft selections. Stock Camshafts not a problem, run nice, idle nice, no backfires up through the carb with the valves open.

Keep a watch on that, don't want you burning it up.

So over the last several years.I’ve tried to get my Dart completed. And it’s just fought me every step of the way. From flattened cam lobes to a mis-machined block that caused a coolant leak at the intake I finally decided 2023 will be the year I part with this pita . So I go to fire it up as to move it out of the garage to clean it up. The battery is dead and wont take a charge . Great a trip to the auto parts store and a hundred something bucks later. I start the car. It starts right up then after a minute begins chugging and dies. Try to restart it and nothing. Strong smell of gas… seems as though the needle was stuck possibly from varnish idk. Now the plugs are fouled . I’m sure I’m gonna need to change the oil cause it’s diluted. I’ve never had such bad luck with a car. Maybe it needs an exorcism. Jeez I’m tired of this. I guess the one thing is this is one vehicle I will not miss when it is gone! Just had to vent
Same here, these last couple of years my Duster has broke it off in my ***. Went out the other night and told her she's gone before summer. I'm through, don't drive it much anymore (can't trust it) so therefore I'm getting out. Need the space in my garage. My last hope is the new carb arriving in a few weeks. If that doesn't work....Sold! I've got two buyers lined up. I've had her since I was sixteen. My father traded in his '68 GTX for it in '72. My first car. I won't miss it.

Thanks for all the replies , to update you all . Currently I’ve changed the oil and filter as well as the spark plugs. Just Waiting on a carb rebuild kit from summit. I also realized I’ve been using the wrong carb spacer all along. Since my intake is a dual plane. It needs the four hole piece. Not the big square one that came with the carb. Maybe will help the engine run smoother.

What was the black stuff int he bowl? Deteriorated rubber seals from the needle/seat?

-
Back