Why Does My Ignition Switch hang Out?

-

clifftt

Reaction score
'66 Cuda, I put the ignition switch in from the back, screw the chrome collar all the way on in the front, and I can still move the switch in and out almost a half inch. What's missing or wrong? :banghead:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 309
Kind of forgot on my cars, but I think the key switch normally also goes thru the sheet-metal of the dash, which is your missing thickness.

No Bill. There's no part of the metal dash behind it. Unless someone has answer, I'll make a PVC spacer to solve the problem.

your collar is not screwed on all the way, the collar is suppost to sit flush with the face of the key switch, if it won't tighten anymore there is something wrong

Could be the wrong switch. I've seen some that must have been over tightened.
The hole in the clear plastic was broken open/larger allowing switch travel and turn.
Those switches really should have been in some type of metal bracket.
Such a bracket would anchor on the dash meaning the switch bezel must be removed before the panel is removed. Maybe there was such a bracket and it got tossed at some point.

is that the correct bezel for that dash?,, look on the switch it self-- it has locating tabs (ridges ) on the outside of the cylinder. Rotate that & see if less thread comes through-- also make sure the collar screws on easily-- the casting might have burrs in the threads that cause it to stop. Lawrence

Thanks guys. The bezel is bottomed out, so I'm guessing it's the wrong switch. I think you're right Redfish, someone has been in the dash before, either something is missing or I have a wrong switch.

don't think it is the switch -- a lot of years are the same-- except for the 69 model year-- did it fit flush before?

Thanks guys. The bezel is bottomed out, so I'm guessing it's the wrong switch. I think you're right Redfish, someone has been in the dash before, either something is missing or I have a wrong switch.

Is there a part # stamped on the back??

The bottom of the bezel nut is bottomed out against the ridge of the switch. You're probably right, it might be the wrong bezel nut. There's a local guy here with a garage load of parts. I'll see if he knows and has something different.

-
Back