Why I don’t let others drive my race car

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Or why I don’t drive other guys cars. I’ve been asked at races after guys broke something if they can double in my car and the answer has been no. Heck I’ve never even driven my sons car since I gave it to him. I can’t afford fixing there’s and I can’t afford fixing mine if something happened to it while driving it. Yes my son has driven mine but that’s different. Shocker is totaled now and I’m sure he’s rethinking that decision.

shocker crash - Google Search

EBB20D7A-E6EE-4265-BC27-F98EF8B27CCB.jpeg

Or why I don’t drive other guys cars. I’ve been asked at races after guys broke something if they can double in my car and the answer has been no. Heck I’ve never even driven my sons car since I gave it to him. I can’t afford fixing there’s and I can’t afford fixing mine if something happened to it while driving it. Yes my son has driven mine but that’s different. Shocker is totaled now and I’m sure he’s rethinking that decision.

View attachment 1715893944
I was just going to reply by saying that you have common sense.

My answer has always been "no" followed with "next thing you'll want to bang my old lady also..." I have 2 Harleys and guys are always trying to help themselves on group rides."c'mon man you have two bikes..." I'm like "yeah and I like my bike the way it is not wrecked or scratched up...

Friend of mine loaned out his race car a few times, even let someone take it out of the country. I still think he was crazy, but not my call. I would never do it, hell I don't even like lending out a daily driver, been screwed by a few people, not again.

My answer has always been "no" followed with "next thing you'll want to bang my old lady also..." I have 2 Harleys and guys are always trying to help themselves on group rides."c'mon man you have two bikes..." I'm like "yeah and I like my bike the way it is not wrecked or scratched up...
And this is exactly why I don't loan my tools to neighbors. And no you can't borrow my truck either

Not a race car, but at the moment, but my 71 Challenger conv is the only car I own that is finished. I finished it in 93, and since I have owned it, the ONLY person that has driven it besides me is Darrell Alderman. Yeah...THAT Darrell Alderman! :) It was at Atlanta Dragway at the Mopar show they used to put on every year. He and Scott Geoffrion were there making exhibition runs and were just walking around shooting the bull with people. He asked me a ton of questions about it, loved the way it sounded...so I told him to go make a lap in it. He and Scott piled in it and off they went with the top down. Came back in just a few minutes and hung around a bit more. Wife has a bunch of pictures in an album somewhere....lol. Good times! R.I.P. Scott. :(

About 8-10 years ago at my local track (keystone) a friend of mine let a friend of his take his high 9 second car for a warm up lap up the return road (15mph speed limit max). He jumped on it and almost hit the time slip booth and rolled the car totaling it. My friend hasn’t raced since. Idiots born every day.

And I would like to find a driver or I’m going to need to make swing out bars for my cage, at lest the driver side. But my enthusiasm for track time just isn’t there anymore but I’d like to see it run. My grandson is about three years away from being able to run witch is ok, the parts will last a little longer.

And I would like to find a driver or I’m going to need to make swing out bars for my cage, at lest the driver side. But my enthusiasm for track time just isn’t there anymore but I’d like to see it run. My grandson is about three years away from being able to run witch is ok, the parts will last a little longer.

And this I could understand as it a win win for both parties. My son was going to be my down the road way out of the drivers seat but those plans are scrapped as he moved four hours away. So when the time comes it comes. You will see a fire-sale like you have never seen before.

And this I could understand as it a win win for both parties. My son was going to be my down the road way out of the drivers seat but those plans are scrapped as he moved four hours away. So when the time comes it comes. You will see a fire-sale like you have never seen before.
I’ve always enjoyed the building and tuning more than driving, I’ve detuned the car a bit and plan on street driving it more, I’ve always enjoined setting off car alarms…

Not a race car, but at the moment, but my 71 Challenger conv is the only car I own that is finished. I finished it in 93, and since I have owned it, the ONLY person that has driven it besides me is Darrell Alderman. Yeah...THAT Darrell Alderman! :) It was at Atlanta Dragway at the Mopar show they used to put on every year. He and Scott Geoffrion were there making exhibition runs and were just walking around shooting the bull with people. He asked me a ton of questions about it, loved the way it sounded...so I told him to go make a lap in it. He and Scott piled in it and off they went with the top down. Came back in just a few minutes and hung around a bit more. Wife has a bunch of pictures in an album somewhere....lol. Good times! R.I.P. Scott. :(
Very COOL. I guess I would let John Force Drive my car down the 1/4 mile. Other than that, the list of people who have driven my car id very short.

View attachment 1715893944
Typical of Google, or whoever posted the content, trying to sensationalize the incident by implying that Kye Kelly wrecked Shocker. It wasn't Kye, but his friend David, who's car was down so Kye decided to let him drive Shocker to try to make it into America's List. They were trying to make a test hit and didn't walk the entire stretch of road. The top end was wet from rain and that was that.

If they cant afford to replace it, dont let them drive it. I have customers with street rods,classics. Im always nervous driving them,thinking some asshat is going to run into me. Well, that goes with every car i road test. Drive someone’s race car? No way. Im chicken..

Well, I was asked to drive a race car, not real fast at 7.0 car. He is 65 and wanted to see his car make a hit, so I went down the track alone with no one racing against me, soft hit LS powered AMC at a 4.48.8 reaction and 7.16 pass. Call him and I crazy but we are the No Pep Team.. all of us over 63 to 71 years young.

Oops !! 1/8th mile

There are maybe 2 or 3 people to ever drive any of my cars, and I don't drive others cars like I drive my own. It only takes seconds to ruin an engine or wreck a car. I build my own to keep, so there is a lot of time and love put into them.

Typical of Google, or whoever posted the content, trying to sensationalize the incident by implying that Kye Kelly wrecked Shocker. It wasn't Kye, but his friend David, who's car was down so Kye decided to let him drive Shocker to try to make it into America's List. They were trying to make a test hit and didn't walk the entire stretch of road. The top end was wet from rain and that was that.

Not sure what you are talking about but on the video that I posted it told the whole story as is was the piece from Street Outlaws. They must have been forced to remove it as the video is now gone but in the screenshot I
Posted it says his friend David wrecked the car.

I have 2 Harleys and guys are always trying to help themselves on group rides."c'mon man you have two bikes..." I'm like "yeah and I like my bike the way it is not wrecked or scratched up...

im the except opposite
(for starters, i have dirt bikes not harleys) but i usually have what i refer to as a "buddy bike"
something bought cheap of craigslist cause it was broken and put together with parts i got lying around

(thats me a while ago when i put her through the paces cleaning out the shed)

stc_1453-jpg.jpg

i feel somewhat similar with cars, between me and the wife, we got her car, the family hauler, the duster and the plow truck
all of em have full coverage on em and i cant drive all of em at the same time so if someone needs one, why not?

usually i let em take the wifes car (which up untill a month ago was an 08 charger, but we recently upgraded her to a '15 charger)
second up is the plow truck, even though its a short bed, it gets borrowed out for moving duties and the likes

(its hilarious, one of my wifes friends borrowed it a while ago, she cant weigh more then 120 pound soaking wet and she was driving this 7000 pound truck)

i even have a younger kid in our church, hes in his early 20s now, but even in his late teens ive let him borrow the duster to put around town or impress his girlfriend

come to think of it, of all the people ive let borrow my cars, hes the most responsible...maybe respectful is a better word?
every time i let him borrow a car, i know it will come back vacuumed, washed and with a full tank

either way, its just stuff

I sold an Acura NSX twin turbo to a guy and he let Jack Beckman run it thru the 1/4 . Jack ran 11.30s ! Beat a Hellcat that day. Of course he could afford to replace it ( $236,000) .
Beckman is a nice guy ... got to hang out with him for a while.

-
Back