why is it impossible to find new small ball joint a-body complete control arms

-

jcarr210

Reaction score
So my left control arm striped when removing the old ball joint and I'm looking for a brand new complete arm and can't find anything. They're all over ebay for everything but an A-body. Even the rare parts one that I did find no one has including rare parts themselves. I have a new set of Hotchkis arms that I'm thinking of throwing on there but I'd have to ream out the knuckle and I had planned on selling them for my car painting fund. If anyone knows who sells a new complete arm or has a left arm ready to go please let me know. Thanks!

Depends on wat you want to pay.
PST sells repops.
There are a few for sale on the forum but they'll need to be cleaned up

I have been running a ball joint welded in place for 6 years. It had enough threads to screw in snug, but any pressure just turned and turned. It is tacked at 4 places around the joint. Of course when I need a new one, I'll have to toss the arm, but as least I got another joint's life out of the arm before I did. This has come up before here and there are lots of folks using the same fix.

FYI, I bent a small uca pressing off old bushings. Got 2 used ones from a friend. The one I needed was bent also. We straightened it. Just saying.

You can ask Hotchkis to swap the a-arms for their small ball joint arms. The large ball joint is what they include in kits as a start as they assume people want the large ball joint to go with the disc brakes and 4.5 bolt pattern. I spoke to them 6 months ago about this and the tech rep said as long as they were not used and as delivered they would exchange them.

I've got a brand new re-pop upper control arm that spit out the ball joint. Just tack weld it back in place as mentioned above.

what are you offering for a refurbished control arm with new bushings & ball joint installed?
Lawrence

Firm Feel sells them. Just give them a phone call and a credit card number and you'll have a set in a few days.

The rare parts arm that isn't available is $135 at jegs so id be willing to pay about the same for a refurbished original if you have one. BTW it would be a drivers side. Thx

I'll give firm feel and PST a call tomorrow. Either way I just want to have a part in my hand by next weekend. My car has been on jack stands too long lol.

How much are you asking for the new one that needs a new ball joint tack welded in? Im looking for a drivers side btw. Thx!

If you're talking to me, I tack welded it in place and put it back on my car. I was suggesting that you do the same.

So my left control arm striped when removing the old ball joint and I'm looking for a brand new complete arm and can't find anything. They're all over ebay for everything but an A-body. Even the rare parts one that I did find no one has including rare parts themselves. I have a new set of Hotchkis arms that I'm thinking of throwing on there but I'd have to ream out the knuckle and I had planned on selling them for my car painting fund. If anyone knows who sells a new complete arm or has a left arm ready to go please let me know. Thanks!

Here's a drivers side from a '69 Barracuda. I hadn't had the ball joints very long when I came across a disc setup from a '74 Dart and made the swap. The boot is bad but the joint I'm sure is good. The arm should be good also as I was able to turn the joint out with a homemade socket.
The set is being evicted from the garage the end of summer. Rest of set in the link.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=315843&highlight=ball+joint+socket

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=292187

Attachments

• 69BarrUCAL1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 203
I'm in the process of replacing mine with a set from QA1. The old ones could use new balljoint, but I think the bushings looked decent, at least on the driver side one I've removed. If you want them, make me an offer and I could pull the passenger side one off during the week and send them out. They are off a 72 Duster.

I have a set from 70 Duster. 100 + the ride. PM if interested. Ball joints are new.

I'm swapping the original ones on my 70 duster with a set of QA1's. Went with them over Firm Feel due to price and the fact that there is a grease zerk on the pivots so you can grease the polyurethane bushings when they start squeaking!

-
Back